The Big Hello Thread

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Interkarma

Re: The Big Hello Thread

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums yoyolll! :D

Ernisius

Post by Ernisius »

Hi,
I stumbled across these fantastic tools by accident. I recently retired and was looking for a game programming project when I discovered DaggerXL, and from a forum post there was directed to here.

I have been playing with Unity for about a month, and did a few of the UDEMY courses.

fyi if you are interested in the complete unity developer course, sign up with UDEMY and wait for an offer in your email, I got the course for £8 UK. instead of the £155 list price!.

I worked with computers for almost 40 years, from field service engineer to It consultant. I have done some programming and am MCSD certified in C#. So I hope I can bring something to an updated daggerfall clone.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

G'day Ernisius! Welcome to the forums. :)

HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to modding Daggerfall. Not much of a programmer but I am an artist. Going to start working on some new buildings and stuff for my modification.

Going to start talking about my mod when it is ready to be shown off. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums HeadClot! Great to see you made it over from reddit. :)

You're probably on top of this already, but Daggerfall Modelling can export Daggerfall models out to Collada format, where you can edit them in your tool of choice.

One way you can test your models with absolutely zero programming required is to setup a city scene by grabbing Unity Free and following the City Basics tutorial. This will give you the basics of dropping in custom locations to see how your models look along Daggerfall's.

Something you'll need to observe is model scale. Daggerfall Modelling exports models with raw, unscaled vertices (basically inches). To scale these to fit Daggerfall Tools for Unity, they should be scaled to MeshReader.GlobalScale - which is currently 0.025. A full explanation of why this number was used is in the MeshReader.cs source.

You may also find that some modelling packages like Blender will auto-assign scale when importing from Collada. You may need to look out for this and somehow adjust as necessary. Unfortunately I know very little about modelling packages and can't be much help here.

TheErspa

Post by TheErspa »

Hi!
I have been following this amazing project for almost a year now. I first started playing TES about 2009 when i got Morrowind. English isn't my native language and back then I didn't understand it enough to play Morrowind "correctly". But even thought I had hard time with language I still enjoyed playing. Later I got Oblivion and Skyrim but I was disappointed. Eventually when my English skills improved I played trough Morrowind. Then last year I started playing Daggerfall and discovered this project. Now i hope to actually do something by myself.

So i have few questions and for simplicity i will ask them here. I'm currently browsing trough these forums to find answers so don't get mad when i ask something that have already answered.
1. I know nothing about programming. Where do I start? Is there something i should know about this project specifically if i start learning programming? (I'm not learning programming just for Daggerfall but it's my main goal right now.)
2. I have some ideas about improving Daggerfall. How much do you want to hear about these ideas. I mean you probably already have a shit load of ideas that you want to implement. And what kind of ideas you specifically want to hear about?
3. What kind of work I can (and should) do that doesn't involve programming. (Dialog and shit)
4. How strictly should I follow lore?
5. (Getting bit too exited here.) If I'm going to make something by myself where do i find what others have made and should i discuss about that idea somewhere?

Also feel free to correct my English, actually i hope you correct it because that would help me learn! That's all i think.

Tirbourse

Post by Tirbourse »

Hi everybody

I discovered the project when i was looking for a better way to run Daggerfall than with the original screen-resolutions.
I'm not a coder or a programmer but a musician, i work in a sound school in France (sorry for the spelling mistakes, english is not my native language).

I'm already working on the music of the game, to modernize it.

I will (very soon) make a topic to discuss about this.

Thank you Interkarma, and all the others, for your incredible work!

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Hello & welcome to the forums to both of you! :)

To answer your questions TheErspa:
1. I know nothing about programming. Where do I start? Is there something i should know about this project specifically if i start learning programming? (I'm not learning programming just for Daggerfall but it's my main goal right now.)
The main thing to know about programming for Daggerfall Tools for Unity is it's all C# ...that's all I can think of, maybe Interkarma will have something else :D

Do you mean where do you start to learn how to program, or where do you start with DFTFU? If you meant the former there are a lot of great resources online (and books are always an option), if you meant the later the tutorials would be the best place to start. Sorry if I misunderstood ;)
2. I have some ideas about improving Daggerfall. How much do you want to hear about these ideas. I mean you probably already have a shit load of ideas that you want to implement. And what kind of ideas you specifically want to hear about?
Of course we want to hear about them. You can post about them here
3. What kind of work I can (and should) do that doesn't involve programming. (Dialog and shit)
There isn't anything of that sort available right now unfortunately due to the current state of the project, that will change in the future.
5. (Getting bit too exited here.) If I'm going to make something by myself where do i find what others have made and should i discuss about that idea somewhere?
The Creator's corner & the mod discussion sections

TheErspa

Post by TheErspa »

Thanks for answering LypyL. Some of those questions (3.(thought your answer were helpful) and 4.) didn't really belong here or at least i should have included that i meant creating or helping with mods :oops:

You aren't probably gonna hear a lot about me here because I don't have too much free time and time i'm gonna spend with this project now will be mostly learning C#. I probably will never actually do anything here but we will see that in The future.

I'm not sure if it's because i'm writing in English but my messages seem stupid to me. Especially now when i mentioned it :lol:

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

No, you sound fine and your questions were fine! Your english is very good by the way, I would never have known :D