The Big Hello Thread

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Interkarma

Re: The Big Hello Thread

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums Auditor. :)

Creating quests is a fun way to build something for Daggerfall Unity. They're moderately easy to build and creatively satisfying. Jay_H's tutorials are really excellent. He's also very knowledgeable about all the systems and more than happy to help people.

If you're interesting in modding, a good place to start down that path is with TheLacus' excellent tutorials here. It covers most of the things you need to know to create texture/model swaps or get started writing a scripting mod with C#.

If you want to dive into the source code, the GitHub repo has all that. I have a tutorial on cloning from GitHub if needed.

All the best! I hope you stick around and have some fun with the project.

Auditor

Post by Auditor »

Jay_H wrote:Welcome! :) I can say from first-hand experience, being a person with zero scripting experience, that quests are fairly easy to create :) And from your avatar I gather you're one of those rare Mordor: Depths of Dejenol fans?
Thanks for the welcome!
Indeed, you sir, must be a fine connoisseur of old games!
Interkarma wrote:Welcome to the forums Auditor. :)

Creating quests is a fun way to build something for Daggerfall Unity. They're moderately easy to build and creatively satisfying. Jay_H's tutorials are really excellent. He's also very knowledgeable about all the systems and more than happy to help people.

If you're interesting in modding, a good place to start down that path is with TheLacus' excellent tutorials here. It covers most of the things you need to know to create texture/model swaps or get started writing a scripting mod with C#.

If you want to dive into the source code, the GitHub repo has all that. I have a tutorial on cloning from GitHub if needed.

All the best! I hope you stick around and have some fun with the project.
Thank you for the welcome.
Like I said, I work with industrial programming, so maybe, just maybe, something will make sense to me.
Or perhaps I will learn something new :-)
Otherwise I will just keep my eyes open for something to do if its not out of my league.

Since the DU is not a finished game, I´m unsure on what to report as bugs.
I guess the first filter to use is the road map? If its not done, then its not a bug.
(like stores, talking to people etc.)

But say, the thing I mentioned in my first post, is that something to report?
Or what happend to me last night?
(Exited a crypt, and the crypt was placed so high up from the ground that I promptly fell to my death?, at reload, crypt was on ground level, but character was still high in air)

Br
Auditor

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma set up a series of reporting guidelines to recommend how to make the report. You're right in that the roadmap is one of the best resources to know whether to report something. As for that specific bug, I don't have a good enough memory to know whether it's already been posted, sorry :)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Auditor wrote: But say, the thing I mentioned in my first post, is that something to report?
Or what happend to me last night?
(Exited a crypt, and the crypt was placed so high up from the ground that I promptly fell to my death?, at reload, crypt was on ground level, but character was still high in air)

Br
Auditor
Yo man. :D
Yep, thats happend to me too, and the polygon thing.
Somethings in DFU are actually hold overs from classic if you can beleive it (the void is still a thing, and getting stuck on stuff).
Things like spawning with you and the dungeon in the air, spawning in the void, stuff not loading up, I always thought were mod or texture pack related stuff.
But I've seen a few people report this as well so maybe it is something with just straight DFU..

I recomend saving often, fast traveling often if your exploring the wilderness, getting handy with the console (~ then help - will tell you everything).
Quiting, and restarting about once ever two hours or so usually minimizes funky stuff..

The key is to have as fresh a save as possible for when it wigs out.
TBH tho, 92 is probably the most stable build yet, and the spawning in the air thing is the only thing I've ran into..
Just once, yesterday oddly enough, and it was a graveyard..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Harakhti

Post by Harakhti »

Hi everyone!

I'm a graduated software developer and experienced IT systems operator that got a bit excited about TES after playing the hell out of Morrowind back when my ATi Radeon 9600 was considered good.
I decided to register here after doing a bunch of self-building to get a rough idea of how the project works, and to my surprise, importing the whole thing into Unity 2017.3 and loading it up with .NET 4.7 seemingly broke absolutely nothing! Practically, the only change that had to be done was to explicitly specify "Tuple" in the interfaces to stop it from whining, the IDE solved the rest of the quirks with instant conversion.

Fun stuff! We'll see if I can help anything with the project, but if not, it's still nice sticking around and seeing a friendly community like this evolve. :)

Arl

Post by Arl »

Welcome to the forums in this fresh new year Harakhti.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome Harakhti! :)

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello everyone! I got introduced to Daggerfall relatively recently but almost instantly became a fan of the series. Have been watching the XLEngine project, pretty sad its development has ground to a halt.

A while ago I created an edited set of clothes for Daggerfall characters and some other sprites that would display wrong in the game because of the remapable colours feature (used for different weapon/armour materials). It's not perfect but the wrong clothes bugged me much back then. I used ANDYPIC and GrafX2 to edit the sprites.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums MrFlibble! :)

FilthyCasual523

Post by FilthyCasual523 »

Hello everyone! Been a lurker for the last few months and I've been VERY excited for this project. I decided to finally make an account and geek out with you all. :)