NPC Flats - Waifu upscaling

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: NPC Flats - Waifu upscaling

Post by King of Worms »

Im good thanks, just on hold, yes things I mentioned dont work yet, so I guess its better to exclude them from the streaming assets folder.
01.jpg
01.jpg (913.7 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

That's fabulous!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I continue in a manual cleaning of the upscaled NPCs and adding some detailization where Im able to do so i a sensible manner... for example:
183_18-0.png
183_18-0.png (657.71 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
182_31-0.png
182_31-0.png (388.86 KiB) Viewed 4097 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

182_32-0.png
182_32-0.png (414.91 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
182_40-0.png
182_40-0.png (351.77 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
334_4-0.png
334_4-0.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4030 times

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

That filter certainly produces an interesting art style as the result :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, welcome :) And yes, its XBR 4x algo applied twice... gives the best results from all algos Ive tryed (and Ive tryed em all) for various reasons. Only flaw is, that you need to retouch every sprite manually, because it creates artefacts everytime the sprite touches the edge of canvas, like at the top of the head, bottom of the legs and arms. Its easy to repair those artefacts by simple rubber tool.

Than I manually add some details, this creates the illusion of higher detail of the whole flat. I also use the rubber tool to add some better outlines and other details.

At the last picture with a lady in brown, u can see smudge tool in action used on a brown clothing. I experiment with it now. Not really -decided on overall stylization of resulting picture, its deffo not a thing u want to over-use, because it messes up with the art style.

Thanks for dropping by. Im interrested in your corrected clothing sprites, I hope u introduce it to us some day ;)

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

King of Worms wrote:Im interrested in your corrected clothing sprites, I hope u introduce it to us some day ;)
I have already :) There's a showcase and download here, and it's also mentioned on the UESP Wiki files page (but not included as a download), and ships as part of DaggerfallSetup.

[Edit] Apparently that forum no longer allows guests to download attachments, get the archive here.

UPDATE 13/04/2023: The patch has been updated and the new version can be found here.
Last edited by MrFlibble on Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks, those patch notes are quite beefy :geek: excellent contribution to fixing the vanilla bugs. This might be considered as a core patch, meaning it might be a part of DFU as a standard, because there is no reason to transfer the original bugs to the new version. But ofc, thats up to Interkarma and you to decide.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I wonder if this is too much...
183_12-0.png
183_12-0.png (441.87 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Btw, finally found the expression on what I feel like Im doing
Im doing the Art restoration :) sometimes with a very slight enhancements but within the lore and original ideas

- I find the best version of each given sprite in the archives
- I upscale it with a specific algo
- Than I restore the art the best way I can using various tools + I do a reparations/corrections as well if necessary
- in case the sprite is animated, I try to extend the number of animation windows, I was successful in many cases, it takes some fiddling around, but I managed to do so quite often. Things like animated blacksmiths, nobles...
- I found the whole new animation set for bear, which is also a few pixels better in the terms of base resolution. This means we will have better animated bears in game
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I like the combination of smudge (smooth out the color gradients) and the original style after upscale with sharp color gradients. Than I add some detailization, some lines here and there... and all the standard stuff I do. This slightly adds to the final file size, due to the more colours, but this one is 2.1mb... so its still reasonable IMO (hopefully!!)
182_22-0.jpg
182_22-0.jpg (619.32 KiB) Viewed 3914 times