Extra factions

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
RH666

Extra factions

Post by RH666 »

So, as for ideas how possible would it be to create new join-able factions with their own quests and rewards? The other thread mentioned the Prostitutes guild, but there are also others that have not been implemented like the Bard's guild and some of the holy knight orders like the Order of the Lilly.

Now, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this idea, but a great way to get a lot of the custom quests needed for these factions might be a quest maker application. Basically a bunch of drop down menus that let you choose a type of quest: Monster bounty, vermin control, cast a spell on a NPC, find an item in a dungeon, etc and then choose things like what faction and npc they're for, your reward and other needed things. You could then write the quest text in the boxes provided and the program would then generate the code for the quest for testing or further tinkering.

What do folks think?

Jay_H

Re: Extra factions

Post by Jay_H »

Using the current quest system, I've already created a couple of new factions. Only one, the Cartographers, has any real depth. You can reach rank 3 in it, the highest rank possible.

It doesn't have a formal rank registration, as DFU's faction limitations are still hard-coded. What I've done is create a system as follows:

1. Offer an introductory quest via a randomly placed NPC.
2. Completing the introductory quest spawns one of three random quests in several weeks' time. The PC is informed via letter of the next mission.
3. Meeting the NPC for the next mission, the PC is assigned to do a task.
4. Upon completing the task and meeting the quest NPC, a reward is offered and the game randomly chooses between the three quests and a promotion.
5. The promotion means you get a letter saying you're now on a higher rank in the guild, and all quests offered thereafter will be of higher rank, reward, and importance.
6. The promotion can spawn any of three Rank 2 quests. Any of the Rank 2 quests can spawn any other Rank 2 quest or a Rank 3 promotion at random upon successful completion.

The cycle of steps 3-6 continue into Rank 3, which then just offers a large pool of random and recurring quests.

If the PC fails any quest, a failsafe quest is spawned, where the PC is given a chance to meet a regional NPC and make reconciliation for the failure and maintain rank. This can be done an infinite number of times.

It's a rudimentary system, but right now it is a fully-fledged faction.

An idea I had, much further than 1.0, is to have various NPC types randomly spawn in taverns and other buildings in cities. Each of these would offer various services and factions, such as necromancers, magic repairers (at a high cost), soul gem salespeople, potionmakers, and so on. It seems like a reasonable way to make factions available without designating specific buildings for them, which may not be possible in DF.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's a great answer, thank you Jay!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

RH666 wrote:So, as for ideas how possible would it be to create new join-able factions with their own quests and rewards? The other thread mentioned the Prostitutes guild, but there are also others that have not been implemented like the Bard's guild and some of the holy knight orders like the Order of the Lilly.

What do folks think?
Just so you know, I intend to make it possible to add guilds via mods. I may hit a showstopper, but from the testing I've done so far I think it's possible.

So, feel free to start planning new guilds.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

RH666

Post by RH666 »

Hazelnut wrote:Just so you know, I intend to make it possible to add guilds via mods. I may hit a showstopper, but from the testing I've done so far I think it's possible.

So, feel free to start planning new guilds.
Eeeeeeeexcellent.

The prostitute's guild and the Order of the Lilly are two I'd love to see. The other divine knightly orders are obvious places to expand as might be the various witch covens - I don't recall, they're not joinable in the game are they? - a bard's guild might also be fun.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hazelnut's current work is extremely exciting to a quest writer such as I :) To replace some of DF's needless homes with purposeful guild halls, creating new guilds and factions in them, opens tons of doors to expanded gameplay.

To answer your question RH666, the witch covens can't be joined, but you can increase your reputation with them to reduce summoning costs.

RH666

Post by RH666 »

So then they might be another cool faction to be expanded with quests, rewards and other services.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Definitely, and with the witches there wouldn't need to be so much conversion work to the existing world data.

It still needs someone to put in the time and effort though. :)

I plan to release a guild mod as an example, and then write a tutorial to help people do this. That's a little way off however as I am still figuring out how to do it in the first place. :ugeek: The main reason I wanted to let people know it's coming is so the pre-planning can be begun. (rank titles, services offered etc) If it's a completely new guild you'll also need to find a building that you can safely re-purpose as a guild hall so keep an eye out for shops/taverns that don't work - they are good candidates.

If anyone wishes to check out the basics of guilds it's now in the master on github, so you can give it a spin and see what bugs you can find!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Heres a taster, this room used to be completely empty:
Attachments
NewInterior.png
NewInterior.png (528.38 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Last edited by Hazelnut on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is extremely promising. :)