[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Hazelnut

[MOD] Archaeologists

Post by Hazelnut »

Archaeologists Mod, by Hazelnut, with quests from Jay_H and custom sign by Zadroter

Announcing the first Daggerfall Unity gameplay mod. Think: Indiana Jones...
Archaeologists.jpg
Archaeologists.jpg (461.17 KiB) Viewed 60198 times
Description

This mod enhances Daggerfall Unity gameplay by making language skills more viable and adding a new guild to the game, called "The Archaeologists Guild". Their mission is to delve into the history of Tamriel and are interested in all creatures and races who have lived or still live there. The guild is a scholarly one and seeks nether attention, power, or riches, but rather knowledge. Its guildhalls are found in smaller towns throughout the Illiac Bay rather than the more expensive and visible cities.The guild is loosely split into members who perform field work, and the more senior members who perform research and are experts in the obscure languages of Tamriel.

Essentially contains gameplay changes I would like for my own playing once DFU is released. I hope others find it enhances their play throughs as well.

Mod Objectives
  • Enable highly intelligent characters who don't use magic to still be a viable playstyle. Sneaking through dangerous dungeons, avoiding or pacifying enemies. Uses potions where necessary, and has access to recall via potion or item.
  • Provide a balanced in-game method for reducing the massive time-sink that DF dungeons can be with the guild service that provides a locator device for dungeon quest targets.
Features
  • Language skill checks changed so high language skills give a much better pacification chance.
  • Language skills are easier to raise.
  • New guild allows training in all language skills up to the level of characters innate intelligence.
  • New guild provides hand-to-hand training, which is missing in classic.
  • Guild service providing locator devices that enable enhanced location of quest targets in dungeons.
  • New quests to be available from the guild. (written by Jay_H)
  • Adds teleport potions & recipe to DFU.
  • Mark of recall given to all new recruits. Can be repaired or replaced by the guild for a price.
  • Book containing guild hall locations given to new joiners. Can be replaced by talking to the mark repairer with a mark that doesn't need repair.

Locator Device

The intent of this service is to balance the atmosphere and epic-ness of dungeons, with provision of an in-game method for players to avoid searching the whole dungeon for hours and hours just to complete a simple quest that gets them 5 rep and a few hundred gold. It will not ensure every quest is successful, but just shortcut hours of very boring backtracking and having to explore every single crevice and cranny in the place. It's not intended to be used in every dungeon, but sparingly due to cost.

The locator device is available to any member and provides a magically powered ability to see the quest target location through walls. It will not activate until you have explored a certain portion of the dungeon (based on rank, senior members get the best devices of course ) and even once activated doesn't help with the labyrinthine mazes, moving elements or magically held locks. Any member can purchase devices but they are be very expensive (starting at 2k gp) but can be discounted to a third of the price if you supply a holy tome or dagger. You will receive one free device for joining and for each Archaeologists guild quest taken that requires entering a dungeon, unless you play with smaller dungeons option. Since the higher ranks are only available to high INT chars, this allows for characters who are not hoovering loot from corpses to be able to afford devices as they get cheaper and more effective with each rank.

The guild obtains the locator devices from a secretive sect of mages who have a different approach to things and do not see eye to eye with the Mages guild. For this reason those with high ranks in the Mages guild (6 and above) are restricted from the higher levels of the Archaeologists. (since they will probably be hoovering up loot and wont need the reduced locator cost either) Gaining reputation with Archaeologists will reduce reputation with Mages Guild a bit too. (note that the guild level restriction can be disabled in mod settings if you don't want that, you will still lose Mages rep when completing Archs guild quests though, so you'll still need to work hard)

Guild Ranks and Benefits

Code: Select all

Rank| Title           |INT| Benefits and services
--------------------------------------------------------
 0   Field Assistant   30   Training and purchase locators
 1   Field Agent       50   Buy potions and library access
 2   Field Officer     55   Recharge or replace recall mark
 3   Field Director    60   Make potions
 4   Apprentice        60   24/7 hall access and Avoid Death
 5   Novice            65   Free identification
 6   Journeyman        65   Item enchanting
 7   Associate         70   Daedra summoning
 8   Professor         70   Locator devices at cost price
 9   Master            75   Locator devices at less than cost
The INT requirement is on top of the usual skill and reputation requirements for ranks. Subject to change during balancing. Rank 2 is the big one where you begin to be trusted by the guild.

Guild Skills

Ranks:
Centaurian, Climbing, Daedric, Dodging, Dragonish, Giantish, Harpy, Impish, Lockpicking, Nymph, Orcish, Spriggan, Stealth

Training:
Centaurian, Climbing, Dodging, Daedric, Dragonish, Giantish, HandToHand, Harpy, Impish, Lockpicking, Nymph, Orcish, Running, Spriggan, Stealth, Swimming

Releases

Feedback is very useful especially on balance aspects. You must ensure that "Allow Custom Assets" option in Advanced/Gameplay settings is enabled otherwise it will not work correctly.

See the Nexus page here: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/14
Last edited by Hazelnut on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 13 times in total.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by Hazelnut »

Guild Locations

Updated 22/3/2018 and 14/7/2021 with new guild hall locations.

Code: Select all

Abibon-Gora:  Makeliria, Cudogudax, Maaqrana, Khajeraara

Alcaire:  Reyborne

Alik'r Desert:  Mesopada, Bi-Korom

Anticlere:  Horcastle, Blackwall, Charborne Wood, 
 Aldingborne Commons, Vanbrugh, Wildermoth, Crombury, Lamhead,
 Baelwich, Singcester Court, Kirkhope, Arktry, Cromcester,
 Uplech Heath, Pentown, Aldbrone, Vantry, Ipsshire Hall, 
 Newlech Field, Tamtower, Aldwall Rock

Antiphyllos:  Tulaogubia, Tulaedax

Ayasofya:  Appilaja, Syriri-Hassi, Wadijaaqplex, Pythahajet, 
 Narogujer

Bergama:  Pythallaga

Betony:  Whitefort

Bhoriane:  Westcester, Singwych, Burgvale, Charenbrone, Cathcester

Daenia:  Tunford, Charencastle, Knightshope, Midmoth

Daggerfall:  Singmoth, Holcastle, Burghope, Burgtown, 
 Wildertown, Crossmont, Graycastle, Whiteborne, Rippath Heath,
 Gothway Garden, Eastbridge, Blackmore, Gothwick, Newtower, 
 Grayhead Hall, Chesterwark, Aldingwark Wood, Blackidge, 
 Cromwych Hill, Holtry Hollow, Broadfort, Midwick, Newcester, 
 Longtown, Stokhead Hollow, Tamway Moor, Penfort Derry,
 Deerwark, Horborne Wood, Holmarket, Holmarket Commons, 
 Aldinghope Garden, Pentale Commons, Crossmarket, Ipshead,
 Burgwall, Oxbeth, Cathing, Daggerfall, Newwick, Penwold

Dak'fron:  Jalijer

Dragontail Mountains:  Bubogureg, Jaluh-Thar, Baghajweyn,
 Baghad-Thar, Tulaajsia, Bubadja, Berbehus

Dwynnen:  Singshire Rock, Aldwood, Midlech, Baelmarket Moor,
 Uphead Moor, Deerbeth, Tundale, Westwood, Horbury, 
 Chesterhope, Wilderton, Charenley

Ephesus:  Ramoguwan, Gysosa, Ephesus, Hotunia

Gavaudon:  Deerhope, Oxham

Glenpoint:  Fontfort, Wilderville, Aldingpath, Glenpoint, 
 Aldington, Wilderwell, Oxtown

Glenumbra Moors:  Grimley, Stoktower, Gothwall, Vanwich

Ilessan Hills:  Knightsbeth, Newbrone, Blackworth, 
 Crosscroft Derry, Gothwood, Graygate Hollow, Galloworth,
 Longbeth, Lammore Commons, Singtown, Riptale, Charenham End,
 Aldhead Rock, Blackmont, Newbrugh, Baelwall, Westshire Field,
 Newmarket, Burgham, Arkcastle, Lammarket, Baelvale, Holmont,
 Singmont, Holway, Kirkbrone

Kairou:  Agurea, Pythuwan, Zenascuja, Berbilania, Tasibusa

Kambria:  Lamshire, Kirkcroft, Midbridge

Koegria:  Koegria, Aldcester, Fontbeth

Kozanset:  Punnuzar, Ramakawan

Lainlyn:  Kalunnunu, Pythohajer, Morilliton, Wadijinus, 
 Javehria, Isfoguara, Agewan, Tulaunnua, Pheoniza, Bonidisu,
 Issaquplex, Tsetettubia, Jalobu, Baghurana, Agjiton, Lajla

Menevia:  Crommoth, Longford, Ripbrone Commons, Tamgate End,
 Vanshire, Aldingbury

Mournoth:  Antelajer, Zenopakat, Boweyn, Sedajus, Pheonandada,
 Antelino, Ramala, Berbandaa, Rhogascuplex

Myrkwasa:  Zaguh-Hassi, Javaaqdax, Akhallaton, Locconis, 
 Lelidai

Northmoor:  Westtale, Cathley, Gothford, Ipsing, Reymarket,
 Tunbridge, Easthead, Gothcroft, Arkbeth, Charenwych, Baelwell

Orsinium Area:  Reytry

Phrygias:  Horpath, Singborne, Grimcastle, Easttown

Pothago:  Berbajan, Jalaria

Santaki:  Narjija, Santaki

Satakalaam:  Javibia, Pheonirila, Syrunnuweyn, Syrascu-Thar

Sentinel:  Ageliret, Jalonia, Umbandadisu, Antelajda, Zenuhno,
 Zagumba-Kom, Apputhuwan, Mogallaja, Ramemi-Gora, Umbocco-Kom,
 Atruhisa, Kaloton, Mesillinis, Baghillidisu, Wadijuan, 
 Ramasta-Korom, Cudemi-Kom, Bubandanis, Zaguthudisu, 
 Kaluthuara, Osandarea, Oso-Ij, Morirana, Ceraka-Gora, 
 Mogascubia, Mibu-Kom, Khajogujer, Cudadkat, Khajiinis

Shalgora:  Kirkbrugh, Westwell, Charwark, Tunborne, Midgate, 
 Baellech, Deermore, Charidge, Shalgora

Tigonus:  Wadijerareg, Bubohabia, Atruza, Millitor, Tigonus, 
 Mesyrydai, Makaka-Ij, Rhanoccosia, Damunnutor, Luwan, Makaja,
 Rhogilah, Lajrea, Zage-Ij

Totambu:  Damuthuplex, Tulaaaqreg, Tulaad-Thar, Pinret,
 Tsetunu, Isfastania, Cudiridax, Moa-Gora, Agoccoga, Sedoplex,
 Minzar, Isfeho, Isfadreg, Zagettubi, Syrakaplex, He-Thar

Tulune:  Aldville, Mermore, Tulune, Eastcroft

Urvaius:  Aldcroft, Oxwark, Whiteshire, Crosscester, Alding, 
 Wilderbrone, Baelbridge Borough, Cromwich End, Urvaius

Wayrest:  Grimleigh Minster, Horbridge, Cathlech, 
 Reyford Moor, Arkham Hamlet, Holwick, Deerlech, Arkidge,
 Vantown, Tamgate, Penwood, Aldwark, Broadwood, Longing, 
 Kirkmarket Minster, Whitecroft Hall, Aldwych, Charenidge,
 Penhope, Holhead Court, Merhope Hall, Blackcroft, 
 Cathwold Hamlet, Broadborne, Wartry Moor

Wrothgarian Mountains:  Vancroft Hall, Merlech, Lamwich, 
 Wrothgaria, Charenmore, Aldhope, Reycastle, Newleigh, 
 Singham, Singwall, Aldleigh, Grayvale, Galloford Garden, 
 Uphope, Knightswood, Longway, Tamvale, Fontpath, Lamidge, 
 Baelhead, Merbeth, Grayworth

Ykalon:  Reymore, Deertry, Charenwall, Hormont, Tunhope,
 Tamcastle, Tunford Wood, Aldpath, Warwick, Warmoth, 
 Cathbury, Broadwich, Wilderwood
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

Wow, this is really cool. How did you manage to add it in to the block system and get locations to recognise it?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

What I'm particularly excited about:
Enable highly intelligent characters who don't use magic to still be a viable playstyle. Sneaking through dangerous dungeons, avoiding or pacifying enemies. Uses potions where neccessary.
Guild service providing locator device charges that enable enhanced location of quest targets in dungeons.
The locator device is available to any member and provides a magicka powered ability to see the quest target location through walls.
And of course, the ability to create new guilds :D

I'm happy to write quests for this guild. Hazelnut has really taken off with this idea and I'm gonna go along for the ride :D

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

@LorrMaster42
I wrote an asset replacement class that reads JSON files and substitutes the contents for the blockdata. Currently have only done it so that a single building within a certain block is overridden, and it uses common metadata so cannot be location specific in any way. To create the JSON I have added some world data dump commands, one of which dumps a building into JSON file by using a serializer. Then I painstakingly edited the JSON to make the changes I wanted - actually wasn't too bad because I could edit file, save, then exit & enter building to see the results. I'll be writing up a tutorial at some point so others can make their own guilds & building overrides. I may also extend it so more than single buildings can be changed, but that wasn't needed for my mod and also the JSON would get very large and harder to modify correctly.

Arctus

Post by Arctus »

"So adventurer, if you just head down to crypt X there's an ancient lich residing there..."

"And you want me to stab it in the face until it's dead?"

"Oh, oh heavens no. We have some questions for it."

"..."

:D But it does legitimately sound cool, focusing on skills and gameplay that weren't particularly used that often. And it certainly opens the door for similar cool mods.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Arctus wrote:"So adventurer, if you just head down to crypt X there's an ancient lich residing there..."

"And you want me to stab it in the face until it's dead?"

"Oh, oh heavens no. We have some questions for it."

"..."

:D But it does legitimately sound cool, focusing on skills and gameplay that weren't particularly used that often. And it certainly opens the door for similar cool mods.
That made me laugh! Out loud! :lol:

@Jay_H: Looking forward to working with you, since I want to focus on the features it's great to have someone to help with the quests. So, a Lich Interrogation quest then? lol :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

You code it, I'll make it :lol: I did something minorly similar for a Mages Guild epic quest... I wonder whether I'd adapt that or just make a new one. I'll probably make a new one.

One of the limitations currently in Daggerfall is that there is no simple AOE presence trigger for quest actions regarding enemies. When you deal with an enemy, your method of interaction with them is exclusively hitting them, and that seems like poor manners :lol: So sure, the quest is possible right now by using pacifying triggers before and after the interaction. I just think some interaction that isn't hitting would be more realistic :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yes, this could be possible with high level language skills actually. So might actually be feasible for high level guild quests... and there's me thinking it was just a funny joke. :)

There is a mage guild quest that has a flat who gets mad (spawns an enemy) and after a while goes passive and give you a message thanking you for not killing them. Not sure how that works.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That sounds like one I wrote. Flat NPCs can be clicked on to interact, so if we made the lich a flat NPC with an image like the Cabal, that would serve the purpose.

Actually, Nulfaga's statue could possibly be stretched to that purpose too. I dunno how it would look.