[Discussion] [Classic] Translation of Daggerfall

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Deepfighter

[Discussion] [Classic] Translation of Daggerfall

Post by Deepfighter »

Give a shout if there is anything you want to know about translating vanilla Daggerfall. I recommend reading the sticky post of the same name beforehand, as it tries to gather and share all relevant information I know and experienced during the German translation process. Please feel animated to share your knowledge about translating our beloved Daggerfall and help others who approach the same problem. I try to update the sticky post as often as my time allows it with further information. As it will take some time, please go ahead and ask your questions already here. :)

Let the discussion begin!
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

delvisomanda

Re: [Discussion] Translation of Daggerfall (Vanilla)

Post by delvisomanda »

Hi. For now, all I want to know is two things:

1- Which font character is not used in the game? (i didn't search too much, but this is one i think is not used " ^ " )

2- Where are each font used?
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

delvisomanda wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 am 1- Which font character is not used in the game? (i didn't search too much, but this is one i think is not used " ^ " )
Oh, well there are some:

Code: Select all

<
>
#
@
^
~
\
`
{
}
|
$
&
delvisomanda wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 am 2- Where are each font used?
FONT0000.FNT --> Effect name when selected in Spellmaker
FONT0001.FNT --> Book titles
FONT0002.FNT --> Advantages/Disadvantage during character creation or enchanting items
FONT0003.FNT --> For most of the texts (books, quests,...)

If there is something else, don't hesitate to ask.

-Deep
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Do you know which font the potion maker screen uses Deep?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:19 pm Do you know which font the potion maker screen uses Deep?
You mean the font of the names beneath the ingredient icon? That would be FONT0002.FNT. It's the smallest font in DF and is always used when there is not much space left in the image like in the small advantage/disadvantage screen during the character creation, or when deciding which enchanting effects you want to use for an item. The font where you type the name of the potion is FONT0003.FNT (like for all texts).

I will gather some text-font examples later. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah it was the ingedient names font I was enquiring about. Thanks that will help when I do that screen.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Thanks for the information, this is very helpful. At the moment I am very busy with the quests, and I don't need the character replacements thanks to interkarma. But when I have to deal with the other files, this will be very useful.

There's a fontyou didn't mention, FONT0004.fnt.

I give you an idea of what you might want to add to the vanilla sticky topic. What are the things that are impossible to translate with the current programs?
things like names of regions, for example.
This will give interkarma or other developers an idea of what they can do to solve this.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

delvisomanda wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:19 pm There's a fontyou didn't mention, FONT0004.fnt.
Good catch, missed that one as it seems to me that it is never used in the game itself.
delvisomanda wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:19 pm I give you an idea of what you might want to add to the vanilla sticky topic. What are the things that are impossible to translate with the current programs?
things like names of regions, for example.
This will give interkarma or other developers an idea of what they can do to solve this.
Can't follow you here, as names of regions can be translated in the FALL.EXE and other locations in the MAPS.BSA. I am not aware of anything which can't be translated right now in vanilla Daggerfall. Correct me of course.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Do you need to translate things like region names? I assumed these were Tamrielic names that are same in all real world languages. But then I am language illiterate. (except programming languages, of course)

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Deepfighter wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:58 pmGood catch, missed that one as it seems to me that it is never used in the game itself.
Good, less stuff to modify :lol:
Deepfighter wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:58 pmCan't follow you here, as names of regions can be translated in the FALL.EXE and other locations in the MAPS.BSA. I am not aware of anything which can't be translated right now in vanilla Daggerfall. Correct me of course.
My mistake, it looks like the problem is with Daggerfall Unity, or there's something not implemented yet.

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:44 pm Do you need to translate things like region names? I assumed these were Tamrielic names that are same in all real world languages. But then I am language illiterate. (except programming languages, of course)
I was referring to the regions, such as Wayrest, Sentinel, Daggerfall, Dragontail Mountains, etc. Some places have an official translation.