[Discussion] [Classic] Translation of Daggerfall

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Interkarma

Re: [Discussion] Translation of Daggerfall (Vanilla)

Post by Interkarma »

Daggerfall Unity does not refer to FALL.EXE at all, and never will. Any hard strings inside the build will need to be migrated to an external text provider in future.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

That's good to know, it's one less file to touch. I hope these hard strings you're talking about have no lenght limits. :?
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No, they're just .net strings. :)

At some point these will be moved to a keyed table lookup system with an external data source such as a text file in StreamingAssets. That should make it easy to edit and distribute changes later.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 am No, they're just .net strings. :)

At some point these will be moved to a keyed table lookup system with an external data source such as a text file in StreamingAssets. That should make it easy to edit and distribute changes later.
Are you a god? :o :mrgreen: Thanks for the answer.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:44 pm Do you need to translate things like region names? I assumed these were Tamrielic names that are same in all real world languages. But then I am language illiterate. (except programming languages, of course)
Oh yes, there is - at least for the German version - a lot to translate in this regard. There are not much "Tamrielic" terms. Especially since ESO, where I provided Lore-Support for the German version btw, decided to translate everything, even try to find solution for Sentinel (which can't be translated 1:1). So a lot of tamrielic vocabulary is translated (Wayrest = Wegesruh; Daggerfall = Dolchsturz,...) and it is very helpful for any translator to know the Lore and at least played some ES games beforehand to make the translation of Daggerfall and the previous translated ES games consistent.

The first ES game which got translated here was TES Adventure: Redguard and followed by TES III: Morrowind, the game where most of the players got aware of ES. This is the reason why they kept Morrowind even in the German version as exception and as fan-service the same, even though you could translate it.
delvisomanda wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:05 am That's good to know, it's one less file to touch. I hope these hard strings you're talking about have no lenght limits. :?
Well, sooner or later you have to or are you not going to translate vanilla Daggerfall at all?
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Deepfighter wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:41 am
delvisomanda wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:05 am That's good to know, it's one less file to touch. I hope these hard strings you're talking about have no lenght limits. :?
Well, sooner or later you have to or are you not going to translate vanilla Daggerfall at all?
I meant a classic daggerfall file. Of course I'll translate them.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

delvisomanda wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:46 am
Deepfighter wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:41 am
I meant a classic daggerfall file. Of course I'll translate them.
Well, I think we misunderstood each other then. :) For translating classic (vanilla) Daggerfall you have to go through the limitations of the FALL.EXE, doesn't matter if you want that or not (status quo). It's good that there is a way for DFUnity to avoid such limitations in the long term, but that works just for a possible translation of DFUnity and not for classic - which is why I was wondering if you translate solely for DFUnity or also for classic players.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Deepfighter wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:24 pm Well, I think we misunderstood each other then. :) For translating classic (vanilla) Daggerfall you have to go through the limitations of the FALL.EXE, doesn't matter if you want that or not (status quo). It's good that there is a way for DFUnity to avoid such limitations in the long term, but that works just for a possible translation of DFUnity and not for classic - which is why I was wondering if you translate solely for DFUnity or also for classic players.
I'm translating DFU, because when it is complete, classic daggerfall will become obsolete. DFU is Daggerfall with steroids. :lol: