[Discussion] [DFUnity] Translation of Daggerfall

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Deepfighter

[Discussion] [DFUnity] Translation of Daggerfall

Post by Deepfighter »

If there is something you want to know about translating DFUnity. You want to know what is possible right now? How can you do this or that? Then don't hesitate to ask here. The devs may answer your question as good as they can under current development process. Furthermore this thread could be used for working on ways/schemes to improve the translation process of DFUnity in the future.

All things which can be gathered right now will be collected in the sticky post of the same name to keep the information clean.

Let the discussion begin! :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

delvisomanda

Re: [Discussion] Translation of Daggerfall (DFUnity)

Post by delvisomanda »

I know this part of the forum isn't very busy, but I think you should edit the DFU topic, to inform that fall.exe and monster.bsa don't need to be modified, because they don't show any changes when playing DFU.
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just so you guys know, I'm working on a solution for hard-coded text in Daggerfall Unity now. It will take a little while to migrate text over to new system but we'll get there eventually. I'm sorry I did not have this in from the start for you.

The solution being presented should be very straight-forward to use. It takes the form of simple text databases (think TEXT.RSC but in plain text format).

Each major group of text will have its own text database (e.g. "ClassicEffects", "Enemies", etc.). All you will have to do to translate is replace the text files found in StreamingAssets/Text with a translated version. It should be no more difficult than translating quests.

The effect system will be the first to use these new text databases. Once the kinks are ironed out then I'll start migrating hard-coded text to this system.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Thank you, and don't worry too much now, there is time, we don't want you to stray from your main focus which is the magic system right now.
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

@Interkarma I always was and still am at the opinion that you shouldn't focus to much on the translation possibilities (yet) until the gameplay system is fleshed out. So I agree with delvisomanda that this shouldn't be on your priority list that high. I mean first of all the translation has to be done, before anything can be inserted, so this will still take some time on our side, too.
delvisomanda wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 pm I know this part of the forum isn't very busy, but I think you should edit the DFU topic, to inform that fall.exe and monster.bsa don't need to be modified, because they don't show any changes when playing DFU.
Well this post should just show how you have to access/change the different files in DFUnity right now. And both files, if you want to translate them, have to be done with DFTools (yet). Your comment regarding the ingame visibleness of these files are highly appreciated and very helpful. As I am mostly working for translating Classic Daggerfall - and want to test/get fully into DFUnity translating when all individual parts are set - it helps a lot if you give me a hint if there is anything else you are aware of or where it lacks further information. Thank you in advance! :)
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I'd lke to inform you that i exposed strings for the menu and its window. Specifically there are three new files inside StreamingAssets/Text: MainMenu.txt, GameSettings.txt and ModSystem.txt.
Be advised that they may be subjected to changes, especially GameSettings which will likely welcome new options as development progresses.

CrazyCyrodilicCat

Post by CrazyCyrodilicCat »

Hello folks. Does anyone work on translating Daggerfall Unity into Russian? Also I would like to know about the problems that can accompany with the translation. I heard that in Vanilla Daggerfall there were problems with the length of words. For example, by the word "use" it is almost impossible to find a three-letter analogue in Russian. Are there such difficulties at Daggerfall Unity?

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

CrazyCyrodilicCat wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 am Hello folks. Does anyone work on translating Daggerfall Unity into Russian? Also I would like to know about the problems that can accompany with the translation. I heard that in Vanilla Daggerfall there were problems with the length of words. For example, by the word "use" it is almost impossible to find a three-letter analogue in Russian. Are there such difficulties at Daggerfall Unity?
Welcome to the forums as Interkarma would say. :)

For your question. Nobody is working on a Russian translation for DFUnity yet. There is - as you may know - already a Russian translation approach of translating classic Daggerfall. "Approach", because as far as I understand with my basic Russian knowledge it is not entirely completed. But it may be something which you should look at and maybe continue Vortex' work. He has done amazing things for the Daggerfall community with his translation tools, so I would love to see a complete Russian translation happen after all.

The word limitations, because of some hardcoded strings, which were mostly in the FALL.EXE should be gone with DFUnity. Interkarma plans to extract these strings in a way and format to edit them without any limitations. They will be readily accessible and easy to change, which will be a big benefit as you probably don't want to know how much of a Sisyphean task it is otherwise (and as I had to do...).

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you are starting/continuing the Russian translation feel free to open a new thread and maybe there are some people who will join. :)

CrazyCyrodilicCat

Post by CrazyCyrodilicCat »

Deepfighter wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 pm
CrazyCyrodilicCat wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 am Hello folks. Does anyone work on translating Daggerfall Unity into Russian? Also I would like to know about the problems that can accompany with the translation. I heard that in Vanilla Daggerfall there were problems with the length of words. For example, by the word "use" it is almost impossible to find a three-letter analogue in Russian. Are there such difficulties at Daggerfall Unity?
Welcome to the forums as Interkarma would say. :)

For your question. Nobody is working on a Russian translation for DFUnity yet. There is - as you may know - already a Russian translation approach of translating classic Daggerfall. "Approach", because as far as I understand with my basic Russian knowledge it is not entirely completed. But it may be something which you should look at and maybe continue Vortex' work. He has done amazing things for the Daggerfall community with his translation tools, so I would love to see a complete Russian translation happen after all.

The word limitations, because of some hardcoded strings, which were mostly in the FALL.EXE should be gone with DFUnity. Interkarma plans to extract these strings in a way and format to edit them without any limitations. They will be readily accessible and easy to change, which will be a big benefit as you probably don't want to know how much of a Sisyphean task it is otherwise (and as I had to do...).

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you are starting/continuing the Russian translation feel free to open a new thread and maybe there are some people who will join. :)
Thanks, glad to be a part of this community.

I think we will do the translation from scratch, maybe we'll take books from some sites, etc., but maybe we will not.

May I ask at this point, how is the translation process actually going on? Does it make sense to do this now, or wait until Interkarma completes the code?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Much translation is possible now. The Spanish version has most of its work done. The majority of DFU's text is found in .txt files which can be replaced with specific language versions when the time comes. You could begin by translating quest files or character info images, since they are both immediately moddable.