implementation of talk window

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Interkarma

Re: started implementation of talk window

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul, looking at the Quest System Status roughly how complete would you consider the AddDialog, DialogLink, and RumorMill quest actions now?

It's wrong for these to still be in red since you've done so much work on them. But would you consider these "in progress", "mostly complete", or "feature complete" at this time as far as the quest action itself is concerned?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Apart from unknown bugs I would consider them pretty complete. I plan to work through all quests and see which problems arise, but apart from that things should work

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you mate. I'll update the page so it reflects all your hard work here. :)

Nystul

Re: implementation of talk window

Post by Nystul »

spymaster service will be in next build

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

testing fighters guild quests regarding dialog options, had a laugh about this guy's self-praise...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Looks awesome! And I love how Daggerfall's dialog design can concoct some socially odd encounters sometimes. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

is there a way to identify if a quest person resource is a static npc or a (mobile) enemy npc? must be possible somehow I guess but I can't find a differentiator
first must show up under "Where Is"->"Person", second should not (since there are quests that relocate them during daytime and otherwise it would be too easy to find them)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Person resources are always static NPCs (either generated by quest system or linked to a special named NPC ). They can also be completely virtual (never shown in world, just used for story purposes). But there's no such animal as a mobile Person.

What Daggerfall's quest system does here is cheat by creating two resources. It uses Person resource for the interaction side of things and a Foe resource to represent that Person as an enemy combatant. A good example are the quests where you're challenged to a dual. The flat Person makes the challenge to meet them at a specific location and time, and when you go there a Foe will be spawned.

Unfortunately the quest system makes no allowances to link a Person to their Foe, which is how you end up with incongruous outcomes in classic like the Foe being a different gender from the Person. This is something I'd like to improve as a stretch goal later.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

So the question then is how is the mechanism to determine if a foe should be spawned for a person. All I would basically have to do is to test of a person resource will spawn a foe in the future or has already spawned a foe in the past

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The quest will spawn the Foe on a condition - usually something like "pc at". This is totally and completely independent of the Person resource. It's all smoke and mirrors. As far am I'm aware, this isn't ever tied into talk system.

Let me know the name of an example quest where you're having trouble and we can try to break it down and work towards a solution. :)