Build #114/Win 7 64-bit - local town map location names don't save [RESOLVED]

Nystul

Re: Build #114/Win 7 64-bit - local town map location names don't save

Post by Nystul »

hmm not sure. automap depends on discovery system to provide discovered buildings. but loading savegame data should happen much earlier. But travelling to other location and travelling back to problem location should then make automap rebuild the list of building names (by using the function from discovery system again so they should pop up then eventually) - but if I understand correctly building names don't show up even then

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I cannot reproduce any of the described problems, starting from the savegame

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

This is really strange - I just tried loading the game again, discovering a couple buildings in Aldingwall, traveling to a nearby location on the regional map, saving/loading the game, and returning to Aldingwall, and the discovered building names were still appearing on the Aldingwall map. But I've tested this quite a bit now, and the problem still seems to crop up randomly. Not sure if there's anyone else on Win 7 who can test, or what's going on.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Assuming this is discovery system for now. I'll change its script priority and we'll see if that has any impact from next builds.

I have a feeling this problem could take a few bites.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks - especially if it is something to do with Windows being Windows and blocking DFU from consistently accessing/editing vanilla Daggerfall data as you mentioned earlier, I understand this may be a longer-term issue. Of course it's hardly game-breaking - just an annoyance - but whatever you can find time to do on this would be appreciated.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

FYI, the issue remains in build #115 on Win 7 64-bit.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Mike. We'll get there sooner or later. But right now haven't been able to reproduce and unfortunately the logs don't show any errors that would cause this. Even the repro saves work perfectly on our end which makes it hard to lock down. At some point, the root cause will be discovered and then it can be fixed.

Something I'll add thanks to your last round of logs and save game on May 22 is that the problem does look more like a discovery/serialization problem than an automap problem (barring some weird interaction I haven't considered). When I look at your save game from May 22 post, the city of Aldingwall is missing completely from discovery data - but your character is standing right in the middle of it. But if I save again then Aldingwall is saved normally on my end, so no idea what's going wrong on your end. Not sure what's going wrong here.

Just a quick possibility, have you diverted your save path using the "MyDaggerfallUnitySavePath = " in settings.ini? I'm just trying to think of obscure ways your end might be different to ours.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Interkarma - thanks as always for the quick follow-up! I only posted this build #115 update because I understood the build was to change the discovery system script priority compared to #114, but on my Win 7 system, that hasn't seemed to help. I also recognize the "final" solution to this issue may be a ways off, and this bug report will likely remain open for a while.

And no, I didn't change anything (including the save path setting) in settings.ini. It sounds like I may be the only one having this issue, but I hope this works out eventually as development progresses. Take care for now!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Mike, I'm hoping this one might be resolved in latest builds as part of the stability pass I just ran over quest system. Basically quest system was causing a variety of back-end problems with game loop. Not really sure if this one was part of that group of problems, but it would be awesome if it's now resolved.

I'll leave this open pending further updates.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I see you've been working overtime (even compared to your usual insane pace) giving the quest and other related systems a major tune-up; thanks for that! Unfortunately, this problem always seemed to crop up randomly - half the time (including with builds prior to #114) the map names would save without a hitch, and half the time they wouldn't. Still, I'll do some testing in a bit and report back here with what I find under build #118 (Win x64 build #39).

EDIT: Bad news... I travelled straight to Burgwall, discovered the name of a shop on the map and saved the game (see save file and output log "1" attached), then loaded the game and the shop name disappeared (see output log "2" attached). FYI, I have no quests active, so the new quest log is empty. If it is relevant, after loading the game and upon first reopening the map, the shop name did appear for a split second before disappearing permanently. All of this is exactly the same problem I started noticing back under build #114, but as I'm the only one who seems to be reporting these issues, I'm not sure exactly how you're going to be able to track them down.
Attachments
Output Logs.zip
(13.14 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
SAVE1.7z
(137.77 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Last edited by mikeprichard on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.