Daggerfall Remastered Music Project (Released)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
ByteMixer

Re: RE: MIDI (a.k.a. Daggerfall Remastered Music Project)

Post by ByteMixer »

Hi all, the last couple weeks have been slow due to various events (like my Birthday last weekend). But I am still working on the music. Things will probably slow down also because the band I'm in is going to start gigging very soon now that our drummer is back from flight training. :) But I'll try to put out some periodic updates and teasers.

Speaking of:
Here's another teaser: D3. https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/d3-1

I think this is one of the unused dungeon tracks, but I could be wrong. It seems unfinished to me, but I'm still going through and updating everything in the folder even if unused in the game itself.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

D3 sounds great same as the rest of your project! I just dropped your files in my game and never looked back, its so much easier on my ears than original midi, it just sounds proper 100%! And yes, the small loading hitch happens. Its noticeable in the dungeons, when the track reloads. Nothing tragical, just a fraction of a second. Im sure it will be solved in a future tho. Thank you!

AXO

Post by AXO »

:shock: wow! just discovered this post i do not know how I had lost it until now ..
i'm listening your tracks on soundcloud now and I find them absolutely fantastic unfortunately the link in the first post for googledrive does not work .. :(
I hope in a working link soon to be able to insert them in my daggerfall because they're are fu****g nice :lol:
really a great job

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Hey AXO, check page 3 of this thread. A proper working link is there a few posts down.

Not sure why the link didn't carry over when I copy/pasted to the original post. I'll try it again and see if it fixes it.

AXO

Post by AXO »

great :D thank you

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Here is another teaser. It's not done, and I need to do some rebalancing on my speakers. (it's very much a headphone mix at the moment). But it's one of the more atmospheric and memorable dungeon tracks used in the game.

https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/song_dungeon

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thats haunting & the last part with a drums, damn! I really dig your music remaster, it adds a lot to the game atmosphere, which is crucial to me. Thank you!

Th3AustralianGam3r

Post by Th3AustralianGam3r »

Great work, i think it be cool as if you made your own version of TES theme for Daggerfall to add onto the main menu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMao-aSeO2w

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

It's an idea, however, a bit more tricky on a couple levels:

1) Bethesda (namely Jeremy Soule) has already re-orchestrated that particular track a few times between Morrowind and Skyrim. ESO also uses a loose interpretation of the theme, though I don't know if Soule had a hand in it or not. And since it's a recurring and more recent theme between more recent games (doubtless TES VI will also reuse the theme), it might be more heavily subjected to copyright law, since Bethesda definitely still owns the licenses to that music. I'm not sure I could get a mechanical license to allow redistribution of an arrangement or cover, either.

2) I'd have to write my own arrangement of the theme, and that would take me quite some time. I'm not against it, but it is well beyond the scope of the current work I'm doing. I may attempt it some day, but not soon.

3)Also, currently it would likely be a cheaper imitation or mockup compared to the actual themes since A) I'm pretty sure the later themes are recorded by actual orchestra, and at least the Morrowind theme done by Soule uses far more extensive sample libraries than I have access to. Back in the days of Dungeon Siege and Guild Wars 1, I think even back then Soule had something like 6 networked servers full of sample libraries for his work, and that was in 2001!!!!

In short, I may attempt it, or I may not. It won't be anytime soon since I don't think I could do it justice with my current setup. In my mind, I'd have to get the orchestral arrangement up to Overclocked Remixes quality standards before I'd consider it worth doing, and I'm not sure I'm there yet. I was close once around 2004, but the bar has been raised several times since then.

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Okay, making progress, so here's another almost-done teaser track:

https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/daggerfa ... -song_gbad

I'm starting to get into the f and g prefixed music tracks now. I think the g-prefixed tracks (g_bad etc.) are probably going to have more complex data and volume changes/other midi CC changes. So I'll be using those for the most part. There may be some exceptions among the f-prefixed tracks (I think f_snow was better than g_snow, for example). But I'll go through and see which seem to be more rich, and use those.

My guess is the g-prefixed files were chosen when you were using a Roland based soundcard like the mpu-401, and f-prefix files were chosen if you used a soundblaster..........or the other way around, hah!

Enjoy the teaser!