OSX #115 & #116: NPC dialogue loops in Daggerfall [RESOLVED]

Interkarma

Re: OSX #115 & #116: NPC dialogue loops in Daggerfall

Post by Interkarma »

I'm hoping this will be resolved in latest builds with more resiliency built into quest system. Marking this one resolved for now.

thamriel_of_tamriel

Re: OSX #115 & #116: NPC dialogue loops in Daggerfall [RESOLVED]

Post by thamriel_of_tamriel »

I also have this bug and a save file to share. Here are the details:

Build: Windows Experimental #120

Bug Details: after fast travelling to Daggerfall (for the first time) I receive a dialogue upon arrival outside the gates about getting a note and then when I try to talk to any NPC their greeting dialogue loops through a bunch of variations and moving the mouse does not control the cursor but instead moves the pov behind the dialogue box. If I load an earlier save and fast travel to another location, this doesn't happen. It does always happen if I fast travel to Daggerfall. I suspect it may have something to do with the window that pops up after I arrive telling me I have a note from a courier.

Save File:
SAVE2.zip
(218.73 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

EDIT1: I'm noticing the subject of this thread is for OSX. I'm new to the forums. Someone please let me know if I should create a new thread for this.

EDIT2: I just fast traveled to a nearby location and then walked to Daggerfall and am experiencing the same bug when I talk to npcs in Daggerfall (but not at the nearby location). So it seems like probably doesn't have anything to do with fast travelling and does have something to do with Daggerfall itself.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums thamriel_of_tamriel :)

It would be awesome if you could zip and attach a copy of your output log as well, after producing issue in game. That will let me see where the problem is happening in this case.

I'll also try with your save game later to see if I can reproduce that way, but the output log is awesome because it tells me a lot more about what's happening at the exact time of the problem.

thamriel_of_tamriel

Post by thamriel_of_tamriel »

Thanks for the welcome and here's the output log.

Also, I just created a new character and immediately fast traveled to Daggerfall upon exiting the tutorial dungeon and I have the same problem. Sometimes the dialogue doesn't loop through a bunch of options, but it is always impossible to interact with the dialogue window and I do always have control of the pov instead of being able to use the cursor to interact with the dialogue window.
output_log.zip
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you. :) Error is below, the Talk Manager is experiencing a crash looking for a specific building type.

Code: Select all

Exception: GetBuildingTypeForBuildingKey(): no building with the queried key found
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.TalkManager.GetBuildingTypeForBuildingKey (Int32 buildingKey) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.TalkManager.AssembleTopicListLocation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.TalkManager.AssembleTopicLists (Boolean isInstantRebuild) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.TalkManager.StartNewConversation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.DaggerfallTalkWindow.SetStartConversation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.DaggerfallTalkWindow.OnPush () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceManager.AddWindow (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceWindow window) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceManager.PushWindow (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceWindow window) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.TalkManager.TalkToNpc () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.TalkManager.TalkToMobileNPC (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MobilePersonNPC targetNPC) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.PlayerActivate.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
I'll see if I can repro from the save when I can. Might be handy for @Nystul to take a look as well when he can, as he's the author of talk system. He might be able to put in some additional error handling for this as well.

I'll reopen this bug for now.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Will also take a look

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

when trying to load the savegame I get this error:

Code: Select all

Exception: Unable to locate specified type "DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Questing.Actions.EndQuest+SaveData_v1",
the game is not even loaded. The error occurs in SaveLoadManager.cs

nevertheless I can easily reproduce the mentioned problem with a new character

update: pull request issued. quest locations without building key (e.g. "Daggerfall" "Daggerfall") were not handled correctly (are they new? never encountered them before). now checking for building key and try/catch for function call that caused exception

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ah, yes. This would be my fault, I'm sorry. It's a feature request from the quest folk on the tail end of me trying to do everything. Thanks for fixing! :)