[DFUnity] Russian translation

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
CrazyCyrodilicCat

[DFUnity] Russian translation

Post by CrazyCyrodilicCat »

Well, comrades, if you went to this thread, then you would like to see the Russian translation of Daggerfall Unity, or maybe even help us in this matter.

I would like to ask the knowledgeable people about the process of translating the Unity-version of Daggerfall, and what you need to know in addition to the language.

CrazyCyrodilicCat

Re: [Discussion] Translation of Daggerfall (DFUnity)

What's about fonts? Cyrillic symbols are not displayed. Is there somewhere russian fonts?

Biboran

Re: Russian translation (DFUnity)

Post by Biboran »

I may be mistaken but aren't daggerfall have russian translation on daggerfall_serup oack and it work with unity pretty much?

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

CrazyCyrodilicCat wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:55 pm What's about fonts? Cyrillic symbols are not displayed. Is there somewhere russian fonts?
I think Vortex has done the fonts, you may take a look there? Otherwise you have to do it from scratch. There exist a font-editor for that.
Biboran wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:38 pm I may be mistaken but aren't daggerfall have russian translation on daggerfall_serup oack and it work with unity pretty much?
I asked the same. He mentioned here that he wants to redo the translation. I know that the Russian, as well as the Spanish translation got never finished. Normally you could use that as a base but in both cases they wanted to redo it, which is understandable if the former translators are not joining in. It is another feeling to start from scratch and create your own workflow instead of using things which have already been, which may be translated differently than you would, too. In the end it makes no difference imho to edit the translation of someone else or do it from the beginning again.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

CrazyCyrodilicCat

Biboran wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:38 pm I may be mistaken but aren't daggerfall have russian translation on daggerfall_serup oack and it work with unity pretty much?
Maybe it's something wrong on my part, but in the localization files, I can't really make out anything. In the files everything is written in translit, and in the game it is displayed in a normal way.

elderscrollerr

Russian language support

Post by elderscrollerr »

What is about russian version/russian patch version? I tried to install DF Unity on russian version. Almost all texts consist of a meaningless set of symbols instead of a normal translation into Russian. How to install or mod game for normal russian text if it is possible?

Interkarma

Re: Russian language support

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums elderscrollerr. :)

I'll move this into to the translation forum, you're best working through this with the folks in there, as they are the most knowledgeable around the issues here.

CrazyCyrodilicCat

Re: Russian language support

elderscrollerr wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:57 am What is about russian version/russian patch version? I tried to install DF Unity on russian version. Almost all texts consist of a meaningless set of symbols instead of a normal translation into Russian. How to install or mod game for normal russian text if it is possible?
We want to make our own translation, because the old one is very outdated. Not only that there are meaningless symbols, all the texts in the game files are written with a cipher, and the fonts do not correspond to the keys on the Russian keyboard layout. If you suddenly want to participate - the Russian fonts would not be in the way.

VorteX DrAgON

Re: [DFUnity] Russian translation

Post by VorteX DrAgON »

Hello there!

I am the one of authors of russian translation of Daggerfall that we've had done long time ago.

Main difficult for translation was fact that original game uses symbols above than 0x7F as control symbols for text formatting. That is, there was no place for Cyrillic symbols in the font. Thus, it was decided to draw Cyrillic characters on top of the Latin letters plus several unused characters in the texts to get the right amount of characters.

Thus, the meaningless set of letters that was mentioned here is just a transliteration of the text translated (on russian) into Latin characters, which in the game display Cyrillic characters.

I have a full set of self-written utilities to quickly transliterate the necessary resources into Russian for translation and back into Latin for use in the game. Otherwise, the translation process would have turned into a hell of a hard labor for me.

Unfortunately, I myself do not currently have enough time to at least estimate the costs of translation adaptation for Daggerfall Unity. But I can share my experience, if it can help.

Thank you for attention.

Deepfighter

Re: [DFUnity] Russian translation

Post by Deepfighter »

VorteX,

amazing to read you here. Your tools are amazing and made it possible after some fine tuning by Daneel55 from the French community to translate Classic Daggerfall in various other languages. My thanks for all your efforts back then! :)

As for translating DFUnity, we will wait for an official approach and guidelines which Interkarma may provide when there is the right time for it. I imagine we will work with the Github repo in some way or another to add language packages and to integrate our Classic Daggerfall translations into DFUnity. But I can already ensure you that this time we will not have problems to edit the files as they are mostly in plain text and the technical barriers we had to break down earlier are gone. We are still at the beginning of things here, but the future of Daggerfall shines again very brightly through this project. :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online