[DFUnity/Classic] Captions/Subtitles for videos

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Deepfighter

[DFUnity/Classic] Captions/Subtitles for videos

Post by Deepfighter »

Dear all,

one thing which is quite important to complete the translation process is to caption the videos in Daggerfall. The only people I know who did that right now are our French friends. I've got the instructions from Polygon how to do that for some time now, but I always came across one problem and maybe we can help each other in this process.

Before you do anything
1. Download the following .zip file which contains the basic material for translating the videos.
2. Translate the text of the videos. Use for that the following file (File -> Download as)

Step by step (credit to Polygon from the French translation project)
Each video has his own video. Inside a folder you will find:
* A .srt (VF French and VO English). Like that you can see how to cut sentences in subtitles
* A .txt which has the same name of the video, it's a script for DagVid. I already timed the video so basically you just have to create the .bmp
* A picture : NAME_OF_THE_VID.VID_overlay_template01.bmp. I will explain you how to use it.

There is also a file : masque 1 ligne.xcf and mask_template_black.bmp

Step 0: Choose a good font for the subtitle, if possible with an option to disable the anti-aliasing.
Step 1: Open "masque 1 ligne.xcf" with GIMP, write the text. Open NAME_OF_THE_VID.VID_overlay_template01.bmp too.
Step 2 : Layers -> Merge Down
Step 3: Ctrl+A (in order to copy the entire picture) and then Ctr+V (paste it) on NAME_OF_THE_VID.VID_overlay_template01.bmp
Why? Because otherwise there is a problem with colors and this will make something terrible on the final video.
Step 4: Still on the NAME_OF_THE_VID.VID_overlay_template01.bmp save this picture with the name "1.bmp" (if it's the first sentence, 2 otherwise and so on).
Step 5: Still on the picture that you saved: Filters -> Generic -> Dilate
Step 6: Save this new picture with the same name expect add an m at the end so for our example "1m.bmp" Repeat this process until there is no more sentence to translate. Then put all your .bmp in the same folder with the .txt (the script), the .VID (the video), DagVid.exe and then launch it.

This should give you another .VID which has subtitle.

Remember to keep NAME_OF_THE_VID.VID_overlay_template01.bmp and masque 1 ligne.xcf as they are.

Current problems
Everything works except (for me) Step 4/5. As I can't save the picture as .bmp in Gimp. I instead have to export it. Problem is that I can't go for step 5 in any way. If I open the exported .bmp file I can't "Dilate" it as it is greyed out. I tried to redo the steps and "Dilate" the .xcf before copying it. But when converting to a .vid file it just show these pictures (e.g. 1.bmp; 1m.bmp,...) one after another and especially there is no transparency, so if e.g. Uriel Septim VII is talking in the intro scene I see the pictures with the captions and when nobody is talking I see the video. So there is a mistake with the transparency, somehow.

Do you guys have any idea how we get this to work? It can be done as we know by the French translation but I am somehow lost at this point. Help is very much appreciated! If there are follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask them.

Best regards,
Deep
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

AXO

Re: [DFUnity/Classic] Captions/Subtitles for videos

Post by AXO »

hhm , this is a problem that soon I will have to face too...
i have never edit a video before but i have some experience with GIMP and how to use transparency level.
in the next days I will try to do some tests hoping to be able to help both

AXO

Post by AXO »

so, I tried to translate the video ANIM002, the one with less text (only 2 strings)
to get around the filter problem I opened the bitmap image with photoshop, copied the image with the sentence translated from GIMP and pasted on the BMP in phoshop, do " save as " with the number 1 .
Reopened image called " 1 " with GIMP , now go to image option and change from indicized to RGB ( image 1 )
Now is possible go on filter , generic than dilate image on GIMP , finally export image as 1m.bmp .
Repeated this for second string than i have create a folder put all with ANIM002.txt , VID and DagVid like in image 2
but when i play DagVid and open ANIM002 i see only the video without subtitle .
This application seems to be just a reader and I do not even see a rescue option if everything goes well
i have find only a option for export in AVI..
So I can not make the last step maybe i have lost something..i don't understand really this ,seems easy
maybe you can enlighten me .
Meanwhile,you can try to see if the image process works for you
Attachments
IMAGE 2.png
IMAGE 2.png (213.33 KiB) Viewed 8999 times
IMAGE 1.png
IMAGE 1.png (34.49 KiB) Viewed 8999 times

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

AXO wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:56 pm [...]
Repeated this for second string than i have create a folder put all with ANIM002.txt , VID and DagVid like in image 2
but when i play DagVid and open ANIM002 i see only the video without subtitle .
This application seems to be just a reader and I do not even see a rescue option if everything goes well
i have find only a option for export in AVI..
So I can not make the last step maybe i have lost something..i don't understand really this ,seems easy
maybe you can enlighten me .
I just jump in. You miss the converting step. Firstly, you are correct DagVid is just an .vid reader, where you can play Daggerfall videos without being in the game (comes very handy for the testing). You'll need the vidtitle.exe for converting the pictures into the video. If you click on it normally nothing will happen. You need to open it via the windows shell. I don't know how your knowledge is with the shell, so I try to explain it shortly:
  1. All your files for ANIM002 are in the file path C:\Daggervideo\ANIM0002 (important vidtitle.exe needs to be here with all the .bmps and ANIM002.txt
  2. Windows-Key, type - cmd - and shell opens. C:\ is probably your standard - you have to change directory if you are on a different drive (like D:\\) with your files.
  3. Type the following into the shell (depending on your file path(!)): C:\Daggervideo\ANIM0002\vidtitle.exe ANIM0002.txt
  4. It will convert the bitmaps together with the video file.
  5. Watch the video with DagVid to see if it works as intended.
AXO wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:56 pmMeanwhile,you can try to see if the image process works for you
I have no Photoshop. But I was already so far as you are. I did the reopening of the .bmp file always with Gimp and then I can dillute it and name it accordingly. But it doesn't work in the videoas I explained above, so I suppose I do something wrong in the steps before that. Let us see if it works for you! :)
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

AXO

Post by AXO »

I did it ! the text is only a bit transparent but only because I have not changed the font...
after translating I have simply drag and drop the "ANIM0002.VID_overlay_template01 on the image then, (important) after i have move down the level like in a picture before fuse level down .
I had no luck with the shell I could not find the txt folder ... mystery, but i have drag and drop the txt file on the vidtitle.exe and all done right !
isn't easy ? drag and drop win always XD
Attachments
Screenshot (143).png
Screenshot (143).png (21.15 KiB) Viewed 8955 times
Screenshot (142).png
Screenshot (142).png (73.39 KiB) Viewed 8955 times

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Amazing! Great work Axo. May I ask you to write everything again step by step? After your post, I somehow made it with one picture. I just can't remember how I did it exactly...because when I do it your way again with drag and drop new picture and then merge down, open 2.bmp , dillute and save as 2m.bmp. It's still not working :| But it is possible! Yeah!. ^^"

AXO

Post by AXO »

It's true, I forgot to mention it, for the video ANIM0002 if you see the .txt file this search a file called 2a and 2am instead 2 and 2m ,
I have no idea why but it's only necessary rename them ;)

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

It works! :) Amazing. Thank you so much. Worked for ANIM0004, too. Just the Intro-Video is problematic as I see that now. The font is displayed black (like in your screenshot above, which seems strange as I did not change the font and it was shown in white for ANIM0002). For every other video the font is white, too (as far as I have seen). Do you have any clue why it is like this? I tried it with another font, like Calibri, but it does not change the font color. Example on my end.

AXO

Post by AXO »

It also happens to me too for the ANIM0004..I think there is some problem with the alpha channel because my text still remains semi-transparent also in other movies .
I will investigate further, hoping to solve the problem,

I'm still missing something, I do not understand, it does not seem to make sense, why create the video_overlay image colorfull if when i paste over the mask image this become grey ? Furthermore, at the moment of saving, the alpha channel is lost .
But if i copy the mask image over over the video overlay seems go better , BUT , WTF ,in this way ins't possible do filter ,I believe that the final image must be indicized instead of scale of grey ,how I do now

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Strangely, that it works for me (sometimes) in the videos. Are you using the same font which is pre-chosen by masque 1 ligne.xcf? I really did nothing else as changing the text, drag&drop the AXO-style (hehe) like above and then merge down the layer text on the black background. At least we should be on the same level with that, because we did nothing different. Strangely, when I tried it yet again, I am getting the same like you for ANIM0002. It feels like that it works randomly. Sometimes it likes me, sometimes not....

At least I have a error log for 1.bmp (in this example with ANIM0002). Maybe this helps in investigating?