[DFUnity/Classic] Captions/Subtitles for videos

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
AXO

Re: [DFUnity/Classic] Captions/Subtitles for videos

Post by AXO »

finally i have found the solution
do this :
1 - open ligne picture
2 - translate
3- fuse down the level with text with black
4 - select all
5 - copy
6 - open overlay picture than copy over it
7- export as " 1 " without fuse
8 - change the image in RGB ( this is the crucial passage )
9 - apply filter
10 - rechange image in " indicized "
11 - export as " 1m "

repeat for other lines ...
Game done !
Attachments
Screenshot (149).png
Screenshot (149).png (110.86 KiB) Viewed 10202 times

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

You are my hero of the day! It works flawlessly. Over a month of trying and redoing and you have the solution at hand. Thank you so much for your efforts. I will update the files accordingly for future translations with your guide (and maybe screenshots) and put it all together in the first post. :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

AXO

Post by AXO »

perfect ! I'm happy that this works for you too , you also helped me to understand the process :)
I would have fought against it anyway, sooner or later for the Italian translation :D

AXO

Post by AXO »

Another note:
I noticed that if im perform the last procedure mentioned above, on the video ANIM0004 this doesn't work !!! ,
almost for me, but if the first method is applied, with drag and drop on ligne and ignored alpha channel this seems work well .. :? :? :lol:
in addition, there are three lines of translation in the ANIM0004VO.srt file but the ANIM0004.txt file searches and overlays only two screens so it's only 2 images, not 3.
If you write a guide it should be mentioned .

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Yes, found out the same while doing them. I want to do all the captions of the videos before writing the guide to find all these "specific problems" we may need to fix. ;)
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Finished the videos myself now. I (we?) have two videos left ANIM0001 and ANIM0011. I am trying to do them right now by reading through the old thread from our French friends and found this post for ANIM0011. For ANIM0001 I have no idea how to make the contrast of the different frame to make it look like that the text appears and disappears when converting back. These videos are very frustrating, as it is technically so difficult if you are not into Photoshop or anything like that. :cry:

When I do it the old way, I get something like that :oops:
dfanim0001.PNG
dfanim0001.PNG (10.04 KiB) Viewed 10116 times
Do we really have to rework every frame of this video as it sounds?
Andux wrote:End up remapping them all individually in PSP.

AXO

Post by AXO »

from my research I seem to have understood yes, if you want to translate the Daggerfall Vanilla you have to recreate each frame with color and without transparency levels so as to overlay them with the original video. Infact i haven't translate this video, after all it is a detail so irrelevant for the game ,
but I understand you if you want do it for accuracy , so best wishes for the job :roll:
in DFUnity it is obviously easier to recreate an AVI video that completely replaces the original , i think.

edit :
Maybe an alternative solution could be to put a string of text below as in the other videos

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

AXO wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:14 pmMaybe an alternative solution could be to put a string of text below as in the other videos
Well yes, this sounds like the best idea for both videos. Maybe, I will give it a try later, when I really can spare the time. Would really just be for accuracy as you mentioned - not worth it for now. Thanks for looking into that, anyway! :)

Khushisi

Post by Khushisi »

Hello Deep,
It's a complex but crucial task. While I don't have a direct solution to your GIMP export issue, have you considered exploring AI captions generators? They often provide a user-friendly interface and can handle various formats seamlessly, potentially simplifying the process and overcoming the transparency challenge you mentioned.

It might be worth experimenting with an AI captions generators like Wavel to see if it aligns with your needs for the Daggerfall project. Best of luck, and I hope you find a solution soon!

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Hi Khushisi,

thank you - haven't tried that out, but will do again for DFUnity at some stage. I am also openly asked for people who could help me in doing some graphic magic, but no responses yet. :) As this is only the Bethesda-Logo-intro at the very beginning, I feel like, it's not that crucial yet, so I put the focus first of all to bring our Classic translation into DFUnity.

Best wishes
Deepfighter