Daggerfall Unity on Android

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Wojtek94

Daggerfall Unity on Android

Post by Wojtek94 »

Hi. Is it possible to run Daggerfall Unity on Android?

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity on Android

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Wojtek94, happy new year and welcome to the forums. :)

Just desktop (Windows/Linux/Mac) at this time.

It's possible in theory to build for Android, but would likely need a considerable amount of work to overhaul some things, and the controls would need to be redone for touch screens. Maybe one day someone will fork the main project and make the necessary changes for tablets, but I'm only planning desktop support right now.

devyl

Post by devyl »

Could you just bulk compile a android binary?
i have a planet computers gemini with "full" keyboard... :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You could create your own android build from the code in github devyl, that would be cool.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

devyl

Post by devyl »

If it would be that easy i already have done it... but after installation of unity, android sdk/ndk and jdk:

"UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: Error building Player because scripts have compile errors in the editor
at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x0021f] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:182
at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00065] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:89
UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()"

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Are you using the 2018.1.2f1 release of editor, and can you build windows successfully. Probably best to ensure you can do that before trying Android.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

devyl

Post by devyl »

i'm using 2018.1.5f1. There is no problem compiling an windows/osx/linux binary. the problem seams to be only with the android version :( This problem should some check who knows the source...

Alexander DeLarge

Post by Alexander DeLarge »

Is there a requirement that apps are touch screen compatible on the Play Store? I definitely wouldn't mind a version released only for users that intend to run it using some alternative input methods, most likely on HTPCs, AndroidTV hardware or tablets.

Tecamac

Post by Tecamac »

Hi,

Pardon my english, I'm french :)

I bump this thread because a pocket daggerfall with a decent framerate is a dream i always caress.
I don't have any knowlege about game creation but I have already played Daggerfall on my android phone with magic dosbox.
Creating a working control scheme under this version wasn't too difficult and actually, the thing that stopped me playing this dosbox version wasn't the maniability but, as always with dosbox and DF, the crappy framerate.
But by the time I figured out how to build good touchscreen controls for this game, especially using the native HUD bottom bar icons and mixing directional joystick and relative mouse with a switch button for absolute mouse, easely navigating in the game menue.

There is even a android version of open morrowind. It works, even with the smaller native interface. :o

Anyway, I wish so hard someone with a good knowledge of unity android developpement could come by there and try to create a build of Daggerfall Unity under android... that would be worth the hard work !

Now that Daggerfall Unity is fully playable, i think that thread is more relevant than ever, don't you ? ;)

zetapulse

Post by zetapulse »

Tecamac wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:41 pmthe thing that stopped me playing this dosbox version wasn't the maniability but, as always with dosbox and DF, the crappy framerate.
I haven't played Daggerfall until recently but my setup on Magic DosBox is working pretty smoothly! Maybe try my setup. It was terrible at 64MB Memory but at 32 it's smooth as butter:
[*]SVN Core: On
[*]Memory: 32MB
[*]CPU: Auto
[*]Performance: Auto
[*]Sound: SoundBlaster 16
[*]MIDI: Off
[*]XMS, EMS, UMB: On

That being said, I too want DFUnity on Android!