[MOD]Shut those damn crickets up!

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Alexander DeLarge

[MOD]Shut those damn crickets up!

Post by Alexander DeLarge »

Probably the most simple "mod" that'll ever be put on these forums but I have a feeling a lot of people are going to enjoy this one.

It's a blank .wav file that replaces the annoying ambient chirping that has driven most of us mad for the past 20 years. If anyone's interested, I could release a better ambient chirping loop at varying audio levels.

https://mega.nz/#!2G5FDAIB!zdsXhYKvgepV ... JO8GDjUgRc

All credit goes to Interkarma for telling me how to do it.
They sure are rowdy! :) No mods I'm aware of, but should be easy enough to create one. If you can make a .wav file comprised of a few seconds of silence called "AmbientCrickets.wav" and place it in the StreamingAssets/Sound folder, it should mute the crickets.

You can learn more about modding sound effects on the below page.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dagg ... ds-movies/
Edit 12/2018: Tamriel Mixdown deserves your attention more than this one https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1333
Last edited by Alexander DeLarge on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Re: [MOD]Shut those damn crickets up!

Post by Hazelnut »

They're a bit annoying, but oh so atmospheric! In some places in the world that's literally what it sounds like at dusk - it's much more annoying in real life too! Wonder if a less annoying, but still atmospheric sound could be used instead of silence?

Still, it's fantastic that players will be able to customise their play experience so much. Good stuff.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

I have always found them very realistic and atmospheric too. And the feeling of relief when you finally find the dungeon exit after hours of crawling and you emerge to a peaceful night with those crickets! It's great that the game is so customizable though.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nice one! :) I'll move this one to released mods so others can find it easily. It's a tough one to make a screenshot for. A couple of cricket variants would be awesome, if you get the time.

I also think they're atmospheric, but understand how they could get annoying after a while. They can be just like that here in Australia, especially when one gets in the house. But the real rockstars are cicadas.

On wretchedly hot and humid summer days, cicadas drone loudly from every direction. It becomes like a pressure on the eardrums after a several minutes. Then they all stop suddenly and that pressure drops before they all wind up again. It's a rhythm that underpins almost every memory of summer that I have growing up, and strangely fills me with peace when I think about them.

Here's a short video of what they sound like. They're every bit as noisy during the day as those Daggerfall crickets are at night.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ooh, now I'm wondering about replacing the crickets with a soft evening breeze...

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Alexander DeLarge wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 pm Probably the most simple "mod" that'll ever be put on these forums but I have a feeling a lot of people are going to enjoy this one.

It's a blank .wav file that replaces the annoying ambient chirping that has driven most of us mad for the past 20 years. If anyone's interested, I could release a better ambient chirping loop at varying audio levels.

https://mega.nz/#!2G5FDAIB!zdsXhYKvgepV ... JO8GDjUgRc

All credit goes to Interkarma for telling me how to do it.
They sure are rowdy! :) No mods I'm aware of, but should be easy enough to create one. If you can make a .wav file comprised of a few seconds of silence called "AmbientCrickets.wav" and place it in the StreamingAssets/Sound folder, it should mute the crickets.

You can learn more about modding sound effects on the below page.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dagg ... ds-movies/
Yes, make one about 1/4 the volume.
There is this weird white noise in the background while the Crickets are playing, can you guys hear it when you turn down all the other sounds ?
I don't want them to totally go away, just make them a bit quieter and get rid of that fuzzy sound....
Or maybe half, or both :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

Ah, peaceful evenings - that's better! Now if only someone could do the same for the wretched horse neighing and preferably also dial down the staccato clippety clop, too. ;)

pango

Post by pango »

Prester Lewin wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 pm Ah, peaceful evenings - that's better! Now if only someone could do the same for the wretched horse neighing and preferably also dial down the staccato clippety clop, too. ;)
Have you tried Tamriel mixdown?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

pango wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:07 pm
Prester Lewin wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 pm Ah, peaceful evenings - that's better! Now if only someone could do the same for the wretched horse neighing and preferably also dial down the staccato clippety clop, too. ;)
Have you tried Tamriel mixdown?
Thanks, I will do. I hadn't spotted that it existed. :roll: