Modding Tutorials

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
TheLacus

Re: Modding Tutorials

Post by TheLacus »

A few words on how to use the IHasModSaveData interface recently introduced to allow mods to store and retrieve save data.

First of all we must define a class to hold the data that needs to be saved. SaveLoadManager sends and requests the mod an instance of this class, which is automatically serialized in a file specific to the mod.
In the worst case this file can be deleted but it may be not a bad idea to make use of the versioning system for a smoother upgrade.

Code: Select all

[FullSerializer.fsObject("v1")]
public class MyModSaveData
{
	public string Text;
	public List<int> Items;
}
When the mod is started we have to link the interface to the Mod instance given by InitParams. We can do this in Init, Start or another method used to retrieve the singleton.

mod.SaveDataInterface = instance;
The inteface requires one property and three methods to be implemented.
  • SaveDataType
    This is the type of the data class, used for deserialization.

public Type SaveDataType
    {
    	get { return typeof(MyModSaveData); }
    }

• NewSaveData()
    This is called when the mod is installed for the first time or the serialized file is missing for any reason.

public object NewSaveData()
    {
    	return new MyModSaveData
    	{
    		Text = "Default text",
    		Items =  new List<int>();
    	};
    }

• GetSaveData()
    This method asks the data to serialize when a new save is created.
    If the return value is null the file is not created.

public object GetSaveData()
    {
    	return new MyModSaveData
    	{
    		Text = text,
    		Items =  items;
    	};
    }

• RestoreSaveData()
    Give us the data deserialized (or result of NewSaveData()) to be applied in the running instance. Be sure to set all values to avoid leftovers from the previously running save.

public void RestoreSaveData(object saveData)
    {
    	var myModSaveData = (MyModSaveData)saveData;
    	text = myModSaveData.Text;
    	items = myModSaveData.Items;
    }

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am posting this here since it looks like a bug in the modding system...

I am currently trying to build a standalone mod of Lypyl's Enhanced Sky mod (from the last known source before he ported stuff to the mod system).
I am having issues with the prefabs used in the Enhanced Sky mod.

I can load them from the mod's asset resource folders, I can instantiate them (so the gameobjects are created and present in the scene) but as soon as I want to get an attached script from the gameobject that was created from the prefab, the returned script is always null. So I can't get any working script references via code.
to be more clear, this line fails and always returns null for any attached script (for a script that is present on the gameobject when you can see it attached to the gamobject in the unity hierarchy):

AScript script = gameObject.GetComponent<AScript>();
Since Enhanced Sky does this or similar stuff by itself things are broken.

So the question from my side is: Did someone else experience problems with prefabs and attached scripts in mods? Or differently said: did someone succesfully used prefabs together with script referencing?

I wounder if these issues also affected Lypyl and if this was the reason he did not upload the ported code in the first place. Maybe he did some workarounds he was not too happy about and wanted to solve them first but never had the chance to do it. But this is just guesswork.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

You can't attach a script defined in a mod because type is not yet known during deserialization. You can attach only scripts which are already in the assembly (unity api + core).
I believe Lypyl was using an helper in ModManager to serialize prefab on mod build, then add the components at run time after instantiation and manually deserialize.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ah ok, so this is a known issue then.
well this is a non-trivial limitation of the mod system :(

I will try to build all gameobjects and attached scripts from code then

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I found some more code that will result in a crash by the mod system when used:

public struct AStruct
{
	private int value;

private AStruct(int value)
	{
		this.value = value;
	}

public static implicit operator AStruct(int value)
	{
		return new AStruct(value);
	}

public static implicit operator int(AStruct record)
	{
		return record.value;
	}
}
any idea what might cause the crash? maybe the implicit operator overloading?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

My first suggestion is to try make it a class. I also had occasional crashes with structs without apparent reason...

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

will try this ;) thanks for the suggestion

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I'm trying to attach an .ini to a mod according to the tutorial by TheLacus; however, the settings file is not loaded; "The mod has no settings file."

Mod name: "Magicka Regeneration"
Ini file name: "Magicka Regeneration.ini.txt"

I've tried it without capitalization, without .txt, without .txt or capitalization... Not recognized. The ini file is in the list of files for the mod in the ModBuilder.

So, what simple and obvious thing am I missing? lol
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

There was a substantial change to mod settings mechanism which was optional to use in the past but suddenly was required and made the old mechanism being broken instead of obsolete. There are no .ini files anymore but a settings.json file - see this link:
https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... et-loading

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Nystul wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:05 am There was a substantial change to mod settings mechanism which was optional to use in the past but suddenly was required and made the old mechanism being broken instead of obsolete. There are no .ini files anymore but a settings.json file - see this link:
https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... et-loading
Thanks, that explains it. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.