Playthrough Comments

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jkak47500

Playthrough Comments

Post by jkak47500 »

Hey everyone!

So, I am not a huge gamer, but I absolutely adore the Elder Scrolls. I had tried playing both Arena and Daggerfall multiple times before, but as I use a laptop for everything, the entire control scheme was too frustrating. That and the difficulty of the games ultimately pushed me away from them.

However, a few weeks ago, a friend alerted me to the fact that Daggerfall Unity is now "playable." Thus, I immediately began the main quest. I'm not sure if any non creator has played through the main quest yet so I thought I would post about the bugs I saw and some possible suggestions for Mods.

First of all, thank you all so much for your hard work. Not only was Daggerfall playable, it was incredibly enjoyable. I consistently found myself truly immersed in the world. Anyone who loves the stories and lore of Skyrim or Oblivion will have to give this a try.

Most of the main quest ran perfectly. However, despite the greatness of this port, there are still some issues with the main quest. Firstly, Cyndassa's quest was not completable. I restarted and killed the werewolf multiple times, but ultimately, no message would come up, and upon returning to her, I was unable to interact.

After I gave up on that, I went on to do Morgiah's Wedding. I had no issue finding the King of Worms or anything of the sort, but whenever I fast travelled, I would loose the letter from my inventory inexplicably. I ended up setting my run speed to 500 and scouring the Wayrest region until I got to a place close enough to Wayrest that my fast travel would take 0 days, and then the letter remained in my inventory.

The last bug I ran into proved to be the most problematic. I don't know if it was an issue with my download, but the Totem of Tiber septim was not there. I went through the entire level, and could not find it, and I then looked at UESP's level guide, and the location it lead me to was empty. I subsequently used the consol command "tele2qitem" and it teleported me to the same table with nothing on it. I ended up having to setmqstage 7 and addallquestitems to finish the game.

That being said, those were minuscule blips on an otherwise wonderful experience. For anyone wanting to go ahead and play the main quest, I would definitely advise altering your character stats manually and giving yourself a large amount of gold as without guild and faction quests, making money and getting places is rather hard outside of dungeon crawling, which at low levels is more lethal than profit making.

I wish I was better with computers so I could help with these, but a couple mod ideas popped into my mind as I was playing to make the game more enjoyable for modern Elder Scrolls fans.

Quest Markers: I know that this might sound like heresy to classic TES fans, but the quest markers of Oblivion and Skyrim very much impacted the playability of the game in a positive fashion. Given the hidden doors and unending dungeons in Daggerfall, it might be nice for there to be a marker on the minimap of quest item/spawn locations. Those are already written in locations in the game, so I don't think it would be too hard to put a maker akin to that of the exit and pc location markers in the dungeons.

No Time Limit on Main Quests: Time is really important in this game, there is no doubt about that. However, given the lack of magic implementation, there were a couple of times where I had to manually restart the quest just to have enough time to complete it. It also would mean getting letters from main quest characters and not having to deal with it right away, making it easier to full immerse in the world when not taking on the main quest.

Roads: This might be impossible, I have no idea, but it would be really cool if the main cities of each region were connected by roads as they are in other TES games. This would allow for much more open world travel, even if the game is pretty barren when trying to explore.

I loved Daggerfall Unity and I hope you guys keep at it is is awesome!

Interkarma

Re: Playthrough Comments

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for the feedback and your kind words. :)

Could you let me know which version you're currently running (as seen when game is paused)? Your comment about needing to restart quests several times due to magic not being present is a bit confusing. At this time, about 60% of magic effects are available at the spellmaker, and priority was given to effects which have greatest impact on play experience. For example levitate, teleport, damage, healing, debuffs, and self buffs are all available now. Besides that, I was able to complete main quest in entirety before magic was available using only the levitate console command in a few spots (no other console commands were used).

I'll review the other feedback items and try to offer more help when I can. I will also re-test the quests you had problems with to make sure no new game-breaking bugs have been introduced since these were first tested last year. Cheers. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

jkak47500 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 pm I went on to do Morgiah's Wedding. I had no issue finding the King of Worms or anything of the sort, but whenever I fast travelled, I would loose the letter from my inventory inexplicably.
This is most likely because clock is running out on the quest. Unlike quests that give you generous travel time based on distance, Morgiah's quest has a fixed time limit of 30 days - which isn't nearly enough time to travel cautiously. You'll need to adjust the travel settings to travel recklessly, own a horse, and use whatever else you can to make the distance under the time allotted.

One of the design choices I enjoy about Daggerfall is its time limits. You're sometimes forced into making decisions to meet deadlines and the travel interface itself becomes a mini game with challenges to overcome. You're balancing healing rates, time allowances for sidequests and diversions, and possibly even the spread of disease, to get somewhere inside a specific timeframe. It means that fast travel isn't just a trivial matter of teleporting from point A to B like most games. There are gameplay considerations every time you open the interface. And sometimes, you just won't have enough time. Failure should always be a possible outcome in Daggerfall. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums!
jkak47500 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 pm Quest Markers: I know that this might sound like heresy to classic TES fans, but the quest markers of Oblivion and Skyrim very much impacted the playability of the game in a positive fashion. Given the hidden doors and unending dungeons in Daggerfall, it might be nice for there to be a marker on the minimap of quest item/spawn locations. Those are already written in locations in the game, so I don't think it would be too hard to put a maker akin to that of the exit and pc location markers in the dungeons.
One of DFU's developers, Hazelnut, created a new guild called the Archaeologists. One of their benefits is the ability to use a Locator Device, which gives a highly visible quest marker for items inside dungeons. It won't work for spawns but it is in part what you're looking for.