Daggerfall Unity Test Build 3

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Michael_TEFL

Re: Daggerfall Unity Test Build 3

Post by Michael_TEFL »

1) Now more saves work - including my custom female Breton, which refused even to show with the previous build.
2) Saves seem to take longer to load. Is it just me?
3) The program freezes, when i try to load a werewolf save (yes, i know it is not supposed to work). Why doesn't it show "incompatible save" instead? (Fix - it doesn't really freeze, but considerably slows up on the save screen - the controls seem to become less responsive).

Spoiler - first photo - save screen from the previous build, second - the same screen from this build. Now all the saves show up correctly. The one titled "Kaemos Betonin" didn't work with the previous build (0.0.5). Now it loads successfully (screen 3).

Any more specific things to test?
Spoiler!
Screenshot_5.jpg
Screenshot_5.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg (127.8 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
Screenshot_6.jpg
Screenshot_6.jpg (139.69 KiB) Viewed 4881 times

maciak

Post by maciak »

Hi,
Did not had enough time to test but problem with load when there are no saves is still there. When you enter load menu you can't exit it and have to close the game.

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

I've tested Linux 0.0.6 build, and problem with slow enemies when Vsync is off - is gone.

I''ve noticed two minor problems (present also in earlier builds):

You may want to change default WeaponSwingThreshold=0.8 to lower value. Original DF did not require so wide vertical movement to trigger a "swing". 0.3 or 0.4 value feels much closer to the original, at least when playing in 1920x1080. Maybe it is dependent on resolution ?

Mouse cursor in Linux build is much smaller than in Windows build - the size of arrow in Windows build is much closer to the original.

Cheers,

Olive

Post by Olive »

Hi. Long time lurker, new poster. Big thanks to Interkarma fot this great project - and to other contributors. :)

Build seems to work fine, the key bindings too. It loads my saved games with non vampires characters. Just have a little bug with one save where the character is inside a guild hall an starts inside a wall :

No other issue noticed.
Attachments
dfwall.jpg
dfwall.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 4859 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and welcome to first-time posters! :)
Reath wrote:Everything's working well. My old saves load in this build too.

The locked doors don't seem to match up with where the locked doors are in Daggerfall. In Lysadus's Tomb, the door on the left at the beginning is locked in Daggerfall and open in Daggerfall Unity.

While dying, my character falls through the ground.
Not sure about the door, but Lypyl is gun at this stuff. There's probably some additional logic vanilla uses here that needs to be reproduced. The camera is being lowered too much on death, allowing you to see through environment in some cases. Will tune this a little.
Michael_TEFL wrote:1) Now more saves work - including my custom female Breton, which refused even to show with the previous build.
2) Saves seem to take longer to load. Is it just me?
3) The program freezes, when i try to load a werewolf save (yes, i know it is not supposed to work). Why doesn't it show "incompatible save" instead? (Fix - it doesn't really freeze, but considerably slows up on the save screen - the controls seem to become less responsive).

Spoiler - first photo - save screen from the previous build, second - the same screen from this build. Now all the saves show up correctly. The one titled "Kaemos Betonin" didn't work with the previous build (0.0.5). Now it loads successfully (screen 3).

Any more specific things to test?
Spoiler!
Screenshot_5.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_6.jpg
Cheers! Saves shouldn't take any more or less time to load - it depends more on where the player is and what resources must be loaded than the save itself. It doesn't show "incompatible save" as the importer isn't capable of identifying these saves yet (and they kind-of work, making me not want to disallow this out of hand). The save importer will probably still be a work-in-progress when Daggerfall Unity itself is much further along.

Nothing further specific to test right now. I'll open up contributor mods (far terrain, enhanced sky, etc.) shortly for testing.
maciak wrote:Hi,
Did not had enough time to test but problem with load when there are no saves is still there. When you enter load menu you can't exit it and have to close the game.
Disappointing to hear that, I will take another look. Thanks!
Azdul wrote:I've tested Linux 0.0.6 build, and problem with slow enemies when Vsync is off - is gone.

I''ve noticed two minor problems (present also in earlier builds):

You may want to change default WeaponSwingThreshold=0.8 to lower value. Original DF did not require so wide vertical movement to trigger a "swing". 0.3 or 0.4 value feels much closer to the original, at least when playing in 1920x1080. Maybe it is dependent on resolution ?

Mouse cursor in Linux build is much smaller than in Windows build - the size of arrow in Windows build is much closer to the original.

Cheers,
WeaponSwingThreshold is more based on hardware cursor speed than resolution (although that contributes too). When I test on my wife's PC (who BTW has a much slicker rig than me) her gaming mouse is so sensitive that it barely requires any travel at all to swing on any axis. I will probably revisit mouse swinging at some point. I'm trying to find a "feeling" that's fairly true to the original while still improving on responsiveness. It will probably take a few more iterations to really nail it.

Unity annoyingly doesn't offer much control over the cursor size and filter mode. It looks totally different across platforms (and even in the editor during development). I'm not too worried about it now, but I may have to roll my own cursor code at some point to make this work consistently how I want.
Olive wrote:Hi. Long time lurker, new poster. Big thanks to Interkarma fot this great project - and to other contributors. :)

Build seems to work fine, the key bindings too. It loads my saved games with non vampires characters. Just have a little bug with one save where the character is inside a guild hall an starts inside a wall :

No other issue noticed.
Thanks Olive! :) This one is a known issue. At some point soon, I will either be able to place you correctly inside the building (even if its just at the entrance) or simply teleport you outside. Right now, it isn't loading interior data from classic saves, just character data, date/time, and world position. So you just get placed at the closest exterior position to the interior, which happens to be inside the building geometry.

Arl

Post by Arl »

My character is male now as it should, the problem with v-sync seems to be gone, my saves load just fine.

What can I say? this is just a neat and very stable build, I'm looking forward for the next builds, and to see those awesome mods in action.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

Interkarma wrote: Nothing further specific to test right now. I'll open up contributor mods (far terrain, enhanced sky, etc.) shortly for testing.
:(
Sorry for complaining once again, but it's sad to see normal-looking earth textures (and supposedly future far terrain) working for me in the old showcase and online multiplayer demo and failing to do so in new builds. And all this for that incompatibility with old DirectX, or something.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Michael_TEFL wrote: :(
Sorry for complaining once again, but it's sad to see normal-looking earth textures (and supposedly future far terrain) working for me in the old showcase and online multiplayer demo and failing to do so in new builds. And all this for that incompatibility with old DirectX, or something.
No need to apologize, the more bug reports the better ;) Could you maybe post a screenshot of the problem?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Michael_TEFL wrote:
Interkarma wrote: Nothing further specific to test right now. I'll open up contributor mods (far terrain, enhanced sky, etc.) shortly for testing.
:(
You can complain, it's OK. :)

Edit: I just realised you were referring to the black ground texture from first test test build. This is most likely because of the update to Unity 5 and full Deferred Rendering (contributor demo was still using Light Pre-Pass Deferred). This pushes the minimum spec up from a DirectX9 card to a DirectX11 card. This will still cover most graphics cards newer than 5 years, but I want to help you with this if possible.

Edit2: I can reproduce this by forcing d3d9 mode (as someone pointed out earlier), and unfortunately just changing render path to LegacyDeferred did not fix. So definitely something to do with migration to Standard Shader. This seems to be mainly in the tilemap shader however, will see if I can fix.

Edit3: OK, might have a fix. Will bundle up with 0.0.7 release.

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

Interkarma wrote:
Edit3: OK, might have a fix. Will bundle up with 0.0.7 release.
That sounds great!
Yes, it's about black ground texture from first test build.

Screenshots - current build with the texture issue, old showcase, online Unity multiplayer demo (it's just awesome, thank you again LypyL and Interkarma).
Screenshot_9.jpg
Screenshot_9.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Screenshot_8.jpg
Screenshot_8.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Screenshot_7.jpg
Screenshot_7.jpg (129.86 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Last edited by Michael_TEFL on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:20 am, edited 3 times in total.