Soundfonts? Where are they? I need a fix.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
midilife

Soundfonts? Where are they? I need a fix.

Post by midilife »

Hello I would really like a soundfont that replaces the standard guard "HALT!" with Eric Estrada shouting "There he is!" from the movie Cool Cat Saves The Kids.

https://youtu.be/oM-DNBEVDN4 The audio sample in question.

Seriously though no more goofs can someone point me to some soundfont remasters of the original midi? I've heard it in videos on yt and its amazing sounding when modded, yet i cannot seem to find any at ALL. Am i just dense? Its really possible. Thank!

P.S. is there a way to make the Halt not overlap itself without a fancy soundfont? Same with certain enemies that don't shut up. It all hurts my head. I'm no programmer either i just understand computers p well on the surface. These could be horribly menial questions.

ByteMixer

Re: Soundfonts? Where are they? I need a fix.

Post by ByteMixer »

Hi Midilife, welcome to the forums.

The guardsman shouting "Halt!" is most likely a .wav sound file, not midi, so it's not using a soundfont. The original sounds are embedded in Dagger.SND, and would need to be extracted if someone hasn't already done it. I think someone mentioned it somewhere on reddit, but the sounds after being extracted all have numeric file names, and there are something like 452 .wav files. So, you'd need to go through the list to find which file is the one for the Halt! sound.

If/when you do find the wave file, take note of the file name. Using software like Audacity, or Reaper, take the sound sample that you want to use, (should be able to import the wav file directly) and render it to high-quality ogg vorbis with the same name. so.... for example 039.WAV should be named 039.OGG. The ogg vorbis file should be placed in the streamingassets/sound folder under daggerfall unity.

Someone on the forums already did a replacement of the guard halt with the one from Oblivion, but they didn't mention the steps to do so; just provided the named .wav files. I don't know if Daggerfall Unity will override .wav sound files like it does with the midi files.....but it can't hurt to try. Just plonk the OGG file into the folder, and see if it works, or try rendering it as a WAV file and see if that works.

As for the music tracks, that's a different matter, and possibly more simple since I'm already doing a lot of work on the music myself. The real good ones on youtube (at least the ones I liked) by Pieces Of 8-bit, were never released to the public due to his concerns over copyright. It's a valid concern. Other people have done small hodgepodge batches of the files, but I don't know if anyone else has done a complete comprehensive and cohesive remastering of the music.

At any rate, I'm working on my own remaster of the music for the game, but they are not soundfont remasters. Rather, I'm using a combination of samples and sounds from various VST sample libraries I have access to. I'm also taking it a step further and checking for balance and cohesion across all music tracks so they all sound like they're cut from the same cloth. It is similar work to what Pieces of 8-Bit did, but I'm taking a little artistic liberty here and there, such as my own interpretations of certain midi instruments to add layering, movement and interest to some of the more synth-like tones. (layering pads to create a more organic sound, etc.)

My forum thread for that project is over here: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=921

The first batch of files are available for download, (2-30) but I'm not done with the project yet, and I'm on a short hiatus due to my own personal music life (I'm in a band, and got some stuff going on, and possibly a performance on Aug. 17th to prepare for). But I'm more than half way through all the midi song files currently. If I have time, I might release a mini-pack of some of the dungeon music in a couple weeks.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

midilife

Re: Soundfonts? Where are they? I need a fix.

Post by midilife »

Thanks man! <3

I'll try to like render a .ogg or wav or whathaveyou with a long tail of silence so it isnt just like being barraged by a sampler with no trigger cutting being mashed by a maniac. I dont hate the original samples just the CONSTANT REPEATING. I can tolerate the repeating if its hilarious like Eric Estrada shouting in a bad childrens film. Extracting it may take a bit of snooping and stuff (on a mac) but I have wine and a guide to terminal commands so i can navigate around. Hopefully.

Im gonna download the hell out of these tracks dude, im a musician too and this project sounds bang up. Im kinda stunted in the traditional composition department for the most part (started by making drone, noise, ambient. Working on heavily syncopated dance music nowadays.) so otherwise i might have just made a project on my own, but honestly dude you've got this covered. These sound amazing. This is exactly what i wanted, and more with the creative liberty part. I love how it is a modern re imagining in a way. Gotta hook me up with some VST's sometime.