Other Elder Scrolls

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
King of Worms

Re: Other Elder Scrolls

Post by King of Worms »

If the trend of TES games is gonna translate into the TES6 than Im afraid we are in for a bit of a unpleasant surprise. Lets hope they wake up before its too late. Remember unmodded skyrim, its consolized UI, inventory? Uh... That way, we will not even get a proper skills in 6

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Did you seen fallout 4? Well, a lot of it's inventions like perk system instead of RPG skills system is what we will get most probably.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, this came to my mind as well. And those conversation "choices" which does not change anything really, thus rendering the ROLE PLAYING aspect half-dead. I did somehow enjoy F4 honestly, despite everything. I liked building the bases. But even that was half-as*ed... and its somehow strange that I enjoyed that aspect the most in a RPG game anyway :lol:

I miss games for a people who love to use their brains. RPG was one of the last genres where brain was required. Not anymore. Im sure theres a market for such games. The pioneer gamers have not vanished, we are still here! But we can just make our own games it seems nowadays, as the focus is on the mainstream 15yo dudes with a attention span of a rocking horse. When I was 13 I played and finished daggerfall without a walkthru or net , utilizing a VERY basic english skill. Took me few a months and it was a ride!! :twisted:

Things done changed, there must be something in a water... :roll:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

In my mind I keep imagining that by TES9 we're going to have pre-made characters with their own quests, personalities, and motivations. "Choose between Lieutenant General Amadeus Carisso, whose slain family launches him into a mystery of intrigue relating to ancient Mer rituals, or Edina Faust, a young new conscript with unusual talent with the forbidden ancient power of magic. Explore over 15 cities and find the cause of the dissensions throughout Summerset Isle, becoming a hero known throughout Tamriel!"

Then my alternate, zany prediction is that they'll just keep reducing skills until weapons and magic are streamlined into "Attack" (hold the mouse button over an enemy to fight it), "Defend" (move away from enemies to flee and dodge), and "Manipulation" (conversation, persuasion, and lockpicking). Though "Manipulation" would likely be the first to get outdated, so all doors would be unlocked when needed.
Daggerfall never really appealed to me. Huge procedural generated world is boring, and massive dungeons are nearly impossible to beat. Especially when it bugs and quest item spawns outside of available position.
I'm reminded of the statement for the Star Wars universe: "We love the Star Wars that's in our heads, not the Star Wars they show in the movies." If you take Daggerfall at face value, it can become a very hollow and simple experience quite quickly. But I let Daggerfall enter my imagination and become far more than it really was. I just gave it the benefit of the doubt and let it believe itself. To say it another way, I was more interested in its potential than in its released state. DFU makes that potential possible, but I was happy letting my imagination run wild in the almost limitless world Daggerfall portrayed.

We won't agree completely, but maybe that illuminates a little of the charm I and others feel about it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 am In my mind I keep imagining that by TES9 we're going to have pre-made characters with their own quests, personalities, and motivations. "Choose between Lieutenant General Amadeus Carisso, whose slain family launches him into a mystery of intrigue relating to ancient Mer rituals, or Edina Faust, a young new conscript with unusual talent with the forbidden ancient power of magic. Explore over 15 cities and find the cause of the dissensions throughout Summerset Isle, becoming a hero known throughout Tamriel!"
This is how I feel about most modern RPGs. I'm simply handed a pre-made character with their own motivations and backstory, and expected to play out their pre-determined adventure for them. I can enjoy these kinds of RPGs, but I lose interest quickly if I don't like the characters I'm forced to play.

Jay_H wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 am I'm reminded of the statement for the Star Wars universe: "We love the Star Wars that's in our heads, not the Star Wars they show in the movies." If you take Daggerfall at face value, it can become a very hollow and simple experience quite quickly. But I let Daggerfall enter my imagination and become far more than it really was. I just gave it the benefit of the doubt and let it believe itself. To say it another way, I was more interested in its potential than in its released state. DFU makes that potential possible, but I was happy letting my imagination run wild in the almost limitless world Daggerfall portrayed.
This is exactly how I feel about Daggerfall. Yes it's often generic, but that very quality lets me overlay my own stories and it takes root inside my imagination. And now with DFU, the community can share their stories with each other and help each other fill out that world.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Yeah, I fear ES6 won't have skills at all, just perks.

There's a simple shortcut, here, though. Bethesda's in-house games follow one after the other, as far as general mechanics go. Watch Starfield. Whatever types of systems it's released with, will almost certainly go into ES6. And if it's a shallow RPG-in-name-only?

Well, Skyrim is already an Action-RPG, and leaning towards Action.

Anyway, I do have a few hopes as said, but Bethesda has been headed elsewhere for quite some time.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

I expect tes6 will still have skills but I also expect that they will be simplified and combined again so that we have less skills than ever

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Lots of Bethesda games on sale this weekend at GOG: http://www.gog.com/promo/20180817_bethesda_weekend

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Skygerfall, an ambitious Skyrim mod to port in Daggerfall's main quest to the TES5 engine: http://www.reddit.com/r/Daggerfall/comm ... he_skyrim/

I noticed forum regular jman0war credited for donating models too!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Has anybody else touched tes3mp? I just installed it and I am ecstatic. I had no idea installation would be so easy and it's really a fully-functioning MMO. I'm amazed people aren't talking about it more.