The Big Hello Thread

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Narf the Mouse

Re: The Big Hello Thread

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Not a hello; I have merely returned.

I've been dealing with computer troubles, which resulted in the need to buy a new CPU and motherboard. This took longer and more work than it should have.

Also, very recently my insomnia seems to have decided that I have gotten enough sleep.

And there is other news, and there's really no good way to follow up with this, so I will conclude with my Dad's funeral was lovely.

I sincerely hope everyone else is doing better.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I was wondering where you were! Literally this week I was thinking, "Haven't seen Narf the Mouse for awhile." Welcome back, and sorry for the news.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:48 pm I was wondering where you were! Literally this week I was thinking, "Haven't seen Narf the Mouse for awhile." Welcome back, and sorry for the news.
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm finally in a place where I'm ready to be sociable, not just online.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Timmuborgir

Post by Timmuborgir »

Hello all, long time Daggerfall player here (1997)ready to throw some of these amazing mods on and experience a fresh look at the game and hopefully be able to contribute in some small way...through playtesting of course. Don't have any tech. Experience, just have played this game a ton. This is my fav. game and this is a great project so thanks to every one working on this. Hope to be in touch soon.
Timmu

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Welcome Timmu, nice to see another long-time player around. We always need people to play test, so any contribution in that area is very welcome. Looking forward to reading your impressions of DFU.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Hi there, Pierre here; I watched a friend play Arena back in the day, and fell in love with the game dark atmosphere and huge universe. Played it myself for a while, but, in part because I didn't know what I was doing, in part because it eventually felt repetitive, I never finished it.
Only years later did I found out that both Arena and Daggerfall had became free to play, and give them another try. Started with Arena, but as soon as I tried Daggerfall there was no turning back.
It has since become my favorite game, one could probably even say it's an obsession of mine, and after watching many streams (mainly Grimith's, can't recommend his Daggerfall streams enough) I finally completed the game once.
Meanwhile, I kept an eye on DFU, tested versions, and I must say it's coming along very nicely. Main issue with original Daggerfall were bugs, and if anything there's now some hope for a bug-free gameplay to wholeheartly recommend to friends. But I also raised my box memory to 16GB recently so I could experience it with the full glory of mods and texture packs :lol:
1996 was also the year I decided to switch to Linux as my main operating system, and I'm mostly a Java bigdata engineer by trade, so I'm not entirely sure how I can help the projet (short of keep talking about it around me :wink:), we'll see.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome! Remember Daggerfall's actual tagline: "Prepare to experience your new obsession" :lol:

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Oops, seems I neglected to post here.

Some of you have seen me around working on my take on a remastered music project.

So, Hello!

I grew up on a TRS-80. I first played Daggerfall when I saw it at a media store back in, I think 1996 or 97? It may have been close to my birthday, so probably 1997. Before daggerfall, I was also pretty big into Might and Magic, mostly the World of Xeen (clouds and darkside put together) I also played the spinoff Sword of Xeen as wells as HoMM 1 and 2. I was also a big fan of Stonekeep, and a niche game with a cult following, Realms of the Haunted. Also played most of the Ultima games. I haven't really played any of the newer Might & Magic games save for Dark Messiah. I guess my gamer diet is a bit RPG heavy, but I do enjoy ARPGs (Diablo franchise, Torchlight, Grim Dawn, etc.) and more cerebral FPS games (System Shock, Bioshock, Prey, Dishonored, S.t.a.l.k.e.r. etc.) and yes, I've played just about every Elder Scrolls game to date, including the less fondly remembered games (Battlespire and Redguard) never played any of the mobile spin-offs.

A little about me: I used to work in IT before jumping into making a little side income on a long-time hobby: recording, mixing, and writing music. I took piano lessons for a few years when I was a child, then switched to trumpet in the 6th grade at age 11. Played trumpet for the next 7 years before heading off to College. I've always played keys on and off, though, and participated in a couple music forum collaborations now and then.

I started writing music and getting into working with midi in 1996 when I got my first midi-capable keyboard, a Yamaha PRS-520. I participated in some independent studies in music composition in college with Dr. Gary Smart, one of the most well-spoken teachers I've ever had, and also took a course in composition & improvisation. When it comes to recording and mixing/balancing audio tracks, that's all self-taught through years of hanging out on recording forums and experimenting hands-on with software and outboard gear, learning everything from EQ and compression to room acoustics and monitoring. I recorded a few live shows back when we lived in Iowa before we moved to Philadelphia.

Currently, I play keyboards and a little guitar in a local band that does a bit of original music, including pop rock, alternative, and prog/experimental rock. We had some back and forth on deciding on our name, but finally settled with "Head Cannon." We're based in Philadelphia.

I guess that about covers it.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums pango and ByteMixer (better late than never!) :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nice intro ByteMixer :)

I realized Ive never written anything about me here, so I will try now... this will be long and boring post

Everything started for me when my uncle somehow managed to import the ZX spectrum+ to our - at that date - communistic country. My older brother managed to get some casettes with games and since than, the iconic loading sound was to be heard all the time in our flat. My guess is I was 7 years old at that time. I played MoonAlert, Knight Lore, Decathlon, Kokotoni Wilf, some formula driving...

Laters, we had the 1st allmighty 286, 386, 486, pentium... you know the drill. At that era, I played everything and my love for a RPG started to emerge. The Eye of the Beholders, Dungeon masters, Ultima Underworlds, Fallouts, Diablo, Stonekeep and finally Daggerfall. Ive completely missed Arena. I liked other games as well, like Wing commander, Quake, Doom... and ofc both SystemShocks! But Daggerfall was the most immersive game Ive ever played. In 1996 I was 13 years old. And I managed to beat it in 3 months of almost daily play. It was trully epic and I set this as The Best Game ever for myself.

Than was the big wait for a Morrowind, which - eventho is a great game - let me down. Smaller world, not so complex... Oblivion was even worse to me. And Skyrim, Ive never finished, but spend 100s of hours in it anyway, with cca 250 mods Ive put together according to the STEP project.

From my real life, I was always a kind of renegade. My 1st big hobby was a skateboarding, than I went into the Graffiti, which ended in a big bust somewhere after 2000, few days before christmas I ended up hand cuffed at a police station, have been prosecuted but managed to deal with it without any problems for my future life. Before that, I also visited the 1st underground rave parties in my country, that was since 1996. There were many abandoned military objects in my country, and those illegal parties deffo had its charm in those ;) I had my bus, without a driving license, as it was just a huge chaos after the revolution in the 90s in my country, and everything was possible - real freedom. I smoked weed basically all the time, way too much :P

I always loved art, drawing (graffitti was one of my outlets), electronic music (I started with ModEdit, Fast Tracker 2, Fruity, Reason, Rebirth, AudioMulch...) Now I have a van with a sound system inside it, Im a DJ and I play on Technics 1210Mk2. I have cca 300 vinyls with old techno music and with my friend, we drop a party few times in a year. I enjoy fiddling with my HW compressor, EQ, mixer, recorder...

From the jobs, I did everything, from the lowest payed dirtiest stuff, like a night shifts at a warehouses, gardening, manual work, to a assistant of a manager in a big company, testing a internet banking SW for a bank, and finally being a Chief operating officer of a big parking place in a centre of a main city. That was a tough office work, after 3 years, I ended up basically burned out, but with quite a savings on my account.

There I realized, what I want in my life, and what I dont. And where my limits are... after some rest, Ive changed my life accordingly, to something more sustainable - I run a very small business and have quite a lot of free time, which I value the most nowadays.

Thanks for reading, be well!