Loot tables and resting interrupt chance [CLOSED]

daggerfallman

Loot tables and resting interrupt chance [CLOSED]

Post by daggerfallman »

I've been playing daggerfall classic the last couple days. I fired up df-unity today, and while playing through the tutorial dungeon two differences stood out to me.

1) The chance that you are interrupted while resting is significantly higher in df-unity than in classic. In df-unity, I couldn't even rest to full hp once without being interrupted. On the other hand, in df-classic, I never got interrupted during a rest until my 2nd (large) dungeon, and there it only happened twice, if memory serves.

2) The loot tables in df-unity have considerably higher quality items. For example, the 2nd monster I killed in the tutorial dungeon dropped elven leggings. In df-classic, I have yet to see any elven armor drop, and I've been through 3 dungeons (including tutorial) at this point.

3) The starter spells are missing for the classes. (forgot to add this one when I created the post)

Thanks

R.D.

Re: Loot tables and resting interrupt chance

Post by R.D. »

For 1, one thing that I think happens in classic is that in many spots the game is unable to find a "spawn point" around you to create a monster, and you can rest forever... but I haven't really tested that thoroughly. Conversely I think DF Unity pretty much always finds a place to spawn the enemy. If this is true, you should be able to sleep infinitely long in classic without enemies appearing, or else get about the same spawn chance as DF Unity, depending on the spot you are trying to rest at. But I have a feeling that may not be all that is happening, and there may be a mistake in the code somewhere.

For 2, that shouldn't be happening, so there may be a mistake in the re-creation of classic's behavior. Was it just that one elven armor drop (could be a fluke) or is it a clear difference?

3 is I assume is on Interkarma's schedule to add in the near future, as he continues working on the magic system.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

For 1, I tried comparing resting in DF Unity and classic, and it seems to be about the same outdoors, where there shouldn't be a problem finding a spawn point in classic. In a dungeon, it was about the same but then I suddenly wasn't getting any encounters, able to sleep seemingly infinitely long without an encounter, in classic. So, I think it's just that in dungeons classic can frequently fail to find a spawn point and if you are in such a spot, you can sleep infinitely long without an encounter. Not 100% sure, but that's my theory at the moment.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

R.D. wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 pmSo, I think it's just that in dungeons classic can frequently fail to find a spawn point and if you are in such a spot, you can sleep infinitely long without an encounter. Not 100% sure, but that's my theory at the moment.
If that's true, it's going to be an interesting problem to solve. Because what you're saying is that developers may have set the spawn rate artificially high to offset buggy code elsewhere. So it's an unintended consequence of doing things better, and the spawn rate may need to be lower than classic to actually get results like classic.

Could it also be possible that something more complex is going on and what classic is doing just hasn't been RE yet? Are there any checks to the player's health, so that spawns aren't as likely when it's super low?

Also, speaking of dungeon rest stuff, classic has a very simplistic way of checking if monsters are nearby. I really hate not being able to sleep because some monster I can't see happens to be in a completely disconnected, but nearby room. Walls should factor into this check, there's room for an optional improvement here.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

When I played classic like 20 years ago, I always thought that the dungeon had "safe" areas where it was possible to rest with very low chance of encounters, and more dangerous areas. And of course I actively tried to find the safe areas and rest in them.

Now I learn for the first time that apparently that was unintended!

An interesting case of a bug causing emerging behavior...