[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: [MOD] Distant Terrain

Post by Nystul »

it may need an update to work correctly with distant terrain.
well, everything is a matter of taste. for me it does not look realistic enough - just to hilly, bumpy everywhere (if these are the correct terms).

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Ture. But we dont have better terrain map, with higher fidelity. Maybe someone will do it and can replace original, as a MOD

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Distant terrain and hills mod both use the terrain sampler system. Only one mod can inject terrain samples at a time. It's the same basic conflict as two different mods trying to change the same texture.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

distant terrain has an option to disable its terrain sampler in settings:

so it should be able to use terrain samplers from other mods like mountains and hills.

But the mountain and hills mod might need an update to work correctly (maybe related to missing requirements i mentioned here: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... 310#p13817)

I further think that mountain and hills mod will not look realistic with huge view distances - I doubt there are any realistic-sized mountains created - but let me know if I am wrong

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's neat, I didn't realise you'd added that feature to the mod. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

just tested distant terrain with mountains and hills, seems to work:

this screenshot is taken from Isle of Balfiera looking east - if you zoom in on the horizon you can see the coast cliffs of menevia (one of the highest spots on the vanilla base heightmap) though their height is pretty low.
As expected mountains and hills mod do not alter the vanilla heighmap (something distant terrains terrain sampler does) - that's the reason it is low.

update: here it is a bit easier to see:

one issue with mountains and hill mod is it adds only positive heights on top of the base heightmap (average height will be much above base heightmap) - to look good with distant terrain it has to (1) alter the base height map and (2) add both positive as well as negative heights and the average of a map pixel has to be equal to the base heightmap - it now looks weird if you cross borders and new hills are generated and pop into view

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I am late as usual, thank you Nystul !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Due to a bug with fog settings being overwritten distant terrain could not show distant mountains correctly. A pull request fixing this is issued that should allow these kind of screenshots in the future again:

due to changes in unity terrain the terrain transition ring feature is currently broken - will have to find the exact reason for it ;)

sebastian7

Post by sebastian7 »

Great Mod - one serious bug report I wanted to note though:

I have a lot of mods installed and I noticed that whenever I booted up a save my game would drop seriously in frame rate for about 15 seconds. Not a serious problem, I assumed it had something to do with all the mods. Then, I started noticing that my game would crash upon entering certain interiors or exiting certain interiors. At first this wasn't a huge problem as it was inconsistent, but then there started being places like Castle Daggerfall where I would not be able to get in at all because I would crash every time I attempted to (even though a few days before I could get in just fine).

I started disabling mods one by one and I found out that this mod must be causing the crashes and frame rate drops because now I have every other mod enabled and I have no framerate drops or crashes upon entering and exiting interiors, but when I enable the mod it starts happening again.
Check out my let's play series of modded daggerfall where I showcase all the great work people here have done: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hwqq1ioAdW

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Does this happen with the latest version of the mod? Last version should have fixed many of those issues. The 15 secs you are talking about is when the mod is creating the terrain transition ring I think. This is working as intended