Residence Locked...

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Binarynova

Residence Locked...

Post by Binarynova »

Hello all! I finally had time to try out the quest scripting system and started with the tutorial quest where you spawn the Orc in the guild hall.

I wanted to try to tweak that one a bit before moving on to other tutorials and thought I'd try to cause the Orc to spawn in a house for the player to go to and eliminate. So I used:

Code: Select all

Place _guild_ local house2
Well, the Orc spawns in a house (actually the same one every time, but with a different name), but the house is locked (if I use the Steal interaction I can enter and confirm the Orc is there). I tried using the official quests as a guide and noticed they call the following line:

create npc in _guild_
And so I thought, "Oh! That must place an NPC in the house and then you can enter." But that's not the case. You still can't enter and there's no NPC to be seen.

So, what am I missing? Is "house2" the incorrect location type? I've noticed that official quests use "random" but I wanted to restrict it to a house.

Interkarma

Re: Residence Locked...

Post by Interkarma »

From memory, DFU doesn't manipulate lock state yet for quest houses, they just lock/unlock based on time of day. House1-4 should be unlocked during daytime hours 6am - 6pm. What time of the day were you trying to access house?

Binarynova

Post by Binarynova »

Ok. I think the game is trolling me. I re-loaded and played that quest half a dozen times and it always chose the same house and it was always locked. This time the house was moved, the door was unlocked, the Orc was there, and an NPC was present. lol

It happened to be around 11:30. But it should have been the same time when I tried before. I'll keep trying it!

EDIT: Hmm. I wonder. Do you think it could have been an issue with the quest conflicting with itself? I used the same quest I made from the tutorial and kept updating it without closing the game. Now that I've started the game from scratch it seems to be working as intended.

Also, I'm having an issue with quest location tags floating way up in the sky and not leading to the right locations.
https://imgur.com/a/WKTrSmq Is this a known issue?

EDIT 2: Ah, got it to happen again. Same house as earlier today. Time: 12:11.
https://imgur.com/a/fIm8o5D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Binarynova wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:31 am Also, I'm having an issue with quest location tags floating way up in the sky and not leading to the right locations.
https://imgur.com/a/WKTrSmq Is this a known issue?
This would be an error with quest debugger after floating Y changes. I'll take a look when i can.
Binarynova wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:31 am EDIT 2: Ah, got it to happen again. Same house as earlier today. Time: 12:11.
https://imgur.com/a/fIm8o5D
Any chance you could attach save zip for repro?

Is it possible this is a Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood house (are there a bunch of other shady NPCs standing around?). I think the only house1-4 types with unique house lock logic were TG and DB hideouts. But I also thought these were filtered from selection by quest system.

Binarynova

Post by Binarynova »

SAVES.zip is attached. There are two saves.

TEST is from immediately after taking the quest and TEST2 is in front of the building in question.

And I don't think I saw any shady NPCs, but I don't really know what to look for.

Also, here is the full text of my quest:

Quest: TESTING1
DisplayName: JayH Is Helping Me

-- Message panels --
QRC:
QuestorOffer:  [1000]
<ce>            We need to kill an _enemy_ that got into _guild_.

RefuseQuest:  [1001]
<ce>            Don't be like that, %pcn.

AcceptQuest:  [1002]
<ce>            Kill it then.

QuestFail:  [1003]
<ce>            Just ridiculous.

QuestComplete:  [1004]
<ce>            Good job.

QBN:
Item _reward_ gold
Person _questgiver_ group Questor male
Clock _timer_ 0.06:00
Foe _enemy_ is Orc
Place _guild_ local house2

--	Quest start-up: --
	start timer _timer_
    reveal _guild_
	place foe _enemy_ at _guild_
    create npc at _guild_

_mondead_ task:
    killed 1 _enemy_
    give pc _reward_
    end quest	

_timer_ task:
    end quest
Attachments
SAVES.zip
(547.85 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the saves. I'll take a look when I can. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Classic: Sometimes quest residences are locked. A single lock-pick try will get you through, and doesn't alert the guards. AFAIK. It might be day-time only; I basically gave it a single test or two while playing classic recently, and I can't recall the late 90s that well...
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.