Sept. feature: Gold from cart directly to bank

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Reskal

Sept. feature: Gold from cart directly to bank

Post by Reskal »

First i'm very happy that you overhaul Daggerfall, it's my big love in computergames, my first and still most loved game. I love also that you keep its character, the character of a great old rpg from the 90ies. In this coherence i have to admit i think it's not that good that a player can "beam" his money from the cart into the bank.
I like that feature pretty much and it's a useful good idea..but it reminds me a bit at the new games, where comfort seems to be all. Money has its weight and the cart has limited weight it can carry, but i'm sure people get rich pretty quick without that feature also. I know that some of the old games have painful features that even i as fan of those old games cannot stand anymore, but leaving the moneywarp from cart-bank away would not make it painful IMO.(Sorry Hazelnut)

Interkarma

Re: Sept. feature: Gold from cart directly to bank

Post by Interkarma »

If you consider that classic doesn't allow gold to be stored in wagon at all, perhaps all that's needed here is a simple toggle for "allow gold in wagon". Then both problems are very neatly switched off for anyone who prefers managing gold as a difficulty option. Or perhaps a "dropped gold vanishes forever" option - then it is truly just like classic.

The other option of course is just don't do that. If you don't like gold in wagons, or depositing gold into banks, then just don't use that convenience feature. It's a single player game and people can play however they like. Don't worry about how other people might play their copy of a single-player game. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Hi,
I was doubtful at first about gold-in-wagon too, because it slightly impacts gameplay, the need to leave dungeons eventually, and the trip to the bank as part of the routine between two dungeon crawling. I'm sure you all experienced that in classic.
But since when trying to explain that change in a channel I found myself writing "you can put your gold in your cart like any other loot", I realized this change is at least realistic, and not so far fetched either: there's still plenty of constraints, it's not like gold became weightless, in dungeons you still need to go back to the entrance to drop gold in your wagon, it takes room in your wagon (it can carry 750 * 400 = 300k gold, but then it cannot contain anything else), etc. I need to play more with this feature to really experience its impacts, but I now think that change is alright.
Maybe it could be made "only a convenience" if the wagon leaked a bit of gold during travels, or could be robbed, but that's the kind of balancing that could be made later, or part of a mod...
Regards,
Pierre.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I also love the new feature. But interkarma's idea for a game option toggle "allow gold in wagon" may be a perfect solution for all players. It's not nearly as significant a gameplay tweak as the existing "click to attack" toggle option (which I'll also never turn off again), but as something that does change gameplay compared to classic at least slightly, it seems to be "option" material.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Part of the problem with weighted gold as a matter of game design (ie: going back to town necessary at times) is that gold itself quickly becomes irrelevant after about level 6. By the time you start finding Adamantium and higher, you'll soon be selling individual weapons for 50,000+ for 6 or so weight units. There's little merit to the concept of gold as a limiting factor when a single Daedric Daikatana sells for 300,000 gold :| I'm hoping in the future we can mod the Daggerfall economy to be something more reasonable, but for classic that's the reality of it.

Reskal

Post by Reskal »

Arguements against my suggestion and they have weight also, but the decision fell already as it seems, the idea to switch gold-in-cart on and off would be a good compromise i guess.

Interkarma wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 am

The other option of course is just don't do that. If you don't like gold in wagons, or depositing gold into banks, then just don't use that convenience feature. It's a single player game and people can play however they like. Don't worry about how other people might play their copy of a single-player game. :)
I do not worry how other people play their game, that's an unelaborated assumption. I'm not the sort of people wo urgently need to make the world better. I love Daggerfall and the real thing is daggerfall but the changes in Daggerfall Unity are just to good to ignore them. My problem was my own greed and laziness. When the option is ingame i don't stand at the cart and throw money away to make that dwarven-helmet fit.
If it's not ingame, i can't. Side effect is: It's more original.
Fear the beginnings, it would be so sad if we got the convenience like in wow or eq2.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Reskal wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:30 am In this coherence i have to admit i think it's not that good that a player can "beam" his money from the cart into the bank.
Reading this again, I think you may have misunderstood how this works. The gold is not "beamed" to the bank from anywhere. You still have to visit the bank to make a deposit, as with all the other gold you are carrying.

The only change is the bank NPC will accept gold stored in the wagon as well as in your backpack. Essentially, the bank staff are helping you carry it inside (saving you a few mouse clicks). That's all it does.

Other than that, if you don't want to put gold in the wagon, then just don't drop gold in the wagon. It's a very simple thing and doesn't require you to do anything. :)

Reskal

Post by Reskal »

Thanks for the info, i really got it wrong then.

I don't like doing senseless things and this would be not to put money into the cart, when i have it with me, why should i do this ? Topic was btw the ingame mechanic and not what i like and what not.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Reskal wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 pm Thanks for the info, i really got it wrong then.

I don't like doing senseless things and this would be not to put money into the cart, when i have it with me, why should i do this ? Topic was btw the ingame mechanic and not what i like and what not.
Glad we got to the bottom of that. :)

Regarding my other comment, that's because in classic Daggerfall, you cannot put gold in the cart. This is a convenience feature unique to Daggerfall Unity.

What I'm saying is that if you don't wish to use this convenience feature either, and play just like classic, it's as simple as not dropping gold in the cart.

Considering this topic is based on a misunderstanding of a UI change, I think I'll bow out of this one now. I will also move this to Community as it's not related to mod discussion.