Commoner quest related bug [RESOLVED]

Midknightprince

Re: Commoner quest related bug

Post by Midknightprince »

Its Jay_H quest pack, thats what it is..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Midknightprince wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:26 pm Its Jay_H quest pack, thats what it is..
Yep, tested bigtime...
Ok, Ima play now....
Check out my YouTube Channel!

0Timer

Post by 0Timer »

I had the same problem. I download the older build #110, accepted a new side quest, UI didn't go away and save crash is nomore. :)

Kirill Smirnov

Post by Kirill Smirnov »

Hello
The same bug here. If I get this quest from NPC, this bug appears. If I start quest using DFU console, "startquest A0C00Y12", the bug does not appear.
Other quests do not trigger the bug, only A0C00Y12.

Build #113 20-May-18

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am also experiencing this. ;)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I checked out this problem tonight, and it's not restricted to just that quest - it seems to be any quest offered by commoners/nobles direct through DaggerfallQuestOfferWindow without a menu - from my testing anyway. (no I didn't test all of the quests)

As I thought I might be, commenting out line 87 added in commit 6a13b027 fixes the problem. I thought it was this because I had this bug several times (understatement) when making mistakes in my code and invoking CloseWindow() one too many times and shutting down the HUD. Felt spookily familiar.

Nystul, not sure what you want to do from here? Commit comment is "work/merchant quest offers will now close npc options submenu this is important so "dialog link" can be updated before starting conversation with npc"

This class is used for both merchant and commoner/noble npcs. The latter have no options popup submenu, so this close invokation closes the HUD instead.

I've submitted a PR with a possible fix (#772) for you to review. Is there a better solution to this than just passing whether initiated from a popup menu? I still don't know what dialog link needs updating is about, and odn't have the energy top look, but I assume there's no other option. (and this also matches classic as you pointed out before) Let me know what you think.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

looks good to me ;) thx for fixing this.
Everything you write makes perfect sense and yes you understood the root of the problem (in contrast to me when writing this code in the first place)

was a stupid mistake of mine. This happens when you don't understand all aspects of a problem - sry for that :/

The solution with the bool flag "menu" also seems perfectly legit to me.

Let me try to explain the "dialog link" issue:
when getting a quest from an npc, all quest resources are generated and dialog topics are placed in talk topic lists. dialog link commands are established later though since these are quest actions and happen afterwards. Especially the main dialog link establishment is happending in DialogLink class in the Update function. Because it is an Update function it can only run when not in a (paused) gui menu. So it is important to leave the submenu so that the dialog links can be established from the Update function.
Initially when submenu was not closed, player could choose talk option and start conversation without established dialog links leading to dialog links not getting resolved when talking about quest topics

Interkarma

Re: Commoner quest related bug [RESOLVED]

Post by Interkarma »

This should be fixed in builds #114 (Winx64 #34) or later.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nystul wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:30 pm looks good to me ;) thx for fixing this.
Everything you write makes perfect sense and yes you understood the root of the problem (in contrast to me when writing this code in the first place)

was a stupid mistake of mine. This happens when you don't understand all aspects of a problem - sry for that :/
Hey, no worries. Wasn't a stupid mistake IMO, as it was not really obvious that the class was used in both ways. Maybe you could have taken a bit more notice of my earlier suggestion, but you have many DFU balls in the air right now so I completely understand. I wanted to figure out if my initial instinct was correct or not, so I took a look.

Go team! (as the yanks say)

8-)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

icepik

Re: Commoner quest related bug [RESOLVED]

Post by icepik »

You're probably aware of this already but this is still broken in build #132 win10 X64. I'm playing vanilla

I went to start the Dark Bro questline and whenever I speak to an alchemist, I get a commoner quest that kills the HUD, game is still playable but crashes once I try to save. I attached my corrupt save right before I talk to the NPC.

I love the project and can't wait to see it completed! keep up the amazing work!
Attachments
hud-crash.rar
(303.33 KiB) Downloaded 84 times