Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Interkarma

Re: Re Twitter

Post by Interkarma »

Poisons are just regular spells in SPELLS.STD and it's already possible for the magic system to apply spell effects "on strike". Further, the spell effects for poisons are already implemented so those poison spells are all technically functional now.

All that's really missing is a bit of wiring and and both player and enemies could use poison weapons right now. This can be done at point of generation for enemies, but I'm not sure how player would assign poisons to their weapon in game. There would need to be some process added for this. I'm open to ideas around this, and maybe it can go it later.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

In classic players can very rarely find poisoned weapons, which are permanently poisoned. That's the starting point, I suppose. I assume a poisoning process would be mod territory but I'm not the one to make that call.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I haven't looked into poison life cycle yet. I seem to recall that if the player does find a poisoned weapon on an enemy in classic, this doesn't persist through save/load. Is that correct?

Not that it's a problem for me to make this work properly in DFUnity. I just can't recall how this panned out in classic exactly.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

True, you've got me there. I have some recollection about save-load wiping but I'd rather not give an opinion.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

If you like dark games, I've added options to INI file for changing ambient light scale of dungeons, night-time, and player's personal light. Here are some comparisons between 0.0 (scaled to nothing) and 1.0 (normal ambient light).
YES! A totally unexpected gift! :D I love it!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm glad you like it! My preference is to set personal light scale to 0.0, dungeon light scale to around 0.2, and exterior night scale to 0.5. This makes carrying around a magic candle throwing flickering shadows quite atmospheric. :D

There's more I want to do with Light effect soon, but I have to keep moving right now.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi all,
This is a very interesting idea, a lot of places in Arena are much darker than any Daggerfall dungeon, to the point that some put Arena in horror/RPG genre (random encounters help with that too). I remember having dreams of waiting outside of a closed mages guild at night, watching for incoming enemies, in Arena even towns were dangerous places. On the other hand, no place in Daggerfall is so dark that the awkward-looking light spell is ever required, and torches and candles simply do nothing.
But the simple existence of those must mean that they must have considered using light more, but eventually didn't; It could be because of lack of time, or because it didn't add enough to the gameplay? Or created very bad situations where one could be totally lost at the bottom of a totally dark dungeon (*)... :o

This gives me a lot of ideas though, like acute seeing skill or night-blindness disadvantage, or the possibility to pick torches off dungeon walls (like some other dungeon crawlers),; But that's mods stuff I guess...

(*) the best place to find rings
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

pango wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:27 pm I remember having dreams of waiting outside of a closed mages guild at night, watching for incoming enemies, in Arena even towns were dangerous places.
I could actually write a quest you can activate permanently on your character which would spawn enemies during the night time when you're not in a dungeon or building. If you tell me what kind of enemies and how frequently, I can make it and post it for you.

pango

Post by pango »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:54 pm I could actually write a quest you can activate permanently on your character which would spawn enemies during the night time when you're not in a dungeon or building. If you tell me what kind of enemies and how frequently, I can make it and post it for you.
I'm not sure it's the feature I miss the most from Arena, it was very stressful ;)
I don't remember what was enemies' mix in Arena, I think it was very random (humanoids and non humanoids), but in Daggerfall that would be redundant with attacks in the wilderness, and also make Lysandus' attacks in Daggerfall City a non-event, So if you really mean it, I'd go with humanoids only, or maybe even only chaotic humanoids (thieves, assassins, some spellcasters), with a low probability. Guards are supposed to protect the citizens, right?

Talking of that, I recently upset the Dark Brotherhood (not joining them because I couldn't find the person I was supposed to bring back the quest item to, then bringing back a child to his parents for a witches coven, reputation with DB -19), and I was almost in the same situation, they would sent a constant stream of assassins at me... I couldn't sleep a single hour without being interrupted, the only way to recover was to use fast travel... Very uncomfortable.
When I later restarted the game they forgot about me though, so my adventurer's life is back to normal...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

pango wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 pm I don't remember what was enemies' mix in Arena, I think it was very random (humanoids and non humanoids), but in Daggerfall that would be redundant with attacks in the wilderness, and also make Lysandus' attacks in Daggerfall City a non-event, So if you really mean it, I'd go with humanoids only, or maybe even only chaotic humanoids (thieves, assassins, some spellcasters), with a low probability. Guards are supposed to protect the citizens, right?
This is pretty simple with the quest system. I've attached a zip containing a quest file. Extract it into /DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Quests. Once you're in Daggerfall Unity, open the console and type "startquest nightspawn". It should give a success message, and you'll soon see the effects at night outside of buildings.

I tried making it infrequent based on your preference. If you think there are too many or too few spawns I can change it.

Classic Daggerfall actually does the same thing, as well as DFU, but you rarely experience it in classic. This quest will merely increase the probability of finding enemies rather than create it.
Talking of that, I recently upset the Dark Brotherhood (not joining them because I couldn't find the person I was supposed to bring back the quest item to, then bringing back a child to his parents for a witches coven, reputation with DB -19), and I was almost in the same situation, they would sent a constant stream of assassins at me... I couldn't sleep a single hour without being interrupted, the only way to recover was to use fast travel... Very uncomfortable.
When I later restarted the game they forgot about me though, so my adventurer's life is back to normal...
Some time ago I had planned a mod system via quest called "Reactive Factions," where once you dropped below a certain reputation with people like the Dark Brotherhood or the Fighters Guild, they would periodically send people to kill you, which I think is a touch missing in classic Daggerfall. I had to discontinue it for technical reasons, but maybe someday I'd recreate and expand on that effect. Though it wouldn't be so pervasive as to prevent you from sleeping indoors.
Attachments
nightspawn.zip
(403 Bytes) Downloaded 74 times