Custom quest support

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Custom quest support

Post by Jay_H »

I think I know what happened. My fault. I didn't try restarting DFU, and now that I did, it's working. I think I must have altered the questfile only when DFU was open and not tried restarting. Also, I didn't bother attempting it from console :oops: Thanks for taking the time.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No problems! :)

This might still indicate a small flaw in the "start quest" action though. I've always intended quests to be started/stopped/inspected/tested while the game is running. Not sure what went wrong in this case.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's how Hazelnut designed the Quest Pack quest lists. "Start quest" depends on the quest list, and the Quest Pack quest list is only refreshed when DFU starts, not in realtime (unlike the classic DFU quest lists.) Hazelnut, you can correct me if I'm wrong on that; it's been awhile since we got into this.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Now the bulk of spell effects are done, I'm looking into quest support for the following two actions:
  • cast aSpell spell do aTask
  • cast aSpell spell on aFoe
Jay, hopefully this will give you some new toys to invoke for your narratives. :)

I'm also investigating feasibility of player being able to use any spell with an effect matching that defined by the quest action to satisfy spell requirement. This is unlike classic where player must use stock spell.

I don't have a firm ETA on this yet, but should be in next few weeks.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yeah, I have some ideas stocked up :D This new idea you have would also be a nice addition if you decided to/found a way to add it, but I'm happy with anything whenever it comes.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I have something of a funny question! :) I accidentally deleted 3 WIP quests from my hard drive with no backup. However, I have save files which are in the middle of each of these three quests. Is it possible for me to extract the quest file from the save game?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hmm - it's not impossible but its going to be clunky. You'll be able to recover the text and general flow of the quest, but it's not easy to get this out again from the compiled quest data I'm sorry. It's more runtime state than human state now.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Don't worry about it. It's a good lesson in data preservation, and it's not much to rewrite. It's part of that multi-quest line I was telling you about earlier.

Now it gives me a chance to do a better version 2.0 :) Thanks for answering.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

For CastSpellDo:
Daggerfall Unity will support custom and standard versions of spells provided all effects match classic spell. This does not match classic but seems to overcome a classic limitation more than intended design. Can be rebuilt to work like classic if needed.
I tested this out with a normal Sleep spell in a custom quest and it's working! This'll open a lot of stuff now.

I was wondering how specific the parameters for a custom spell have to be. For example, if a quest asks for Firestorm, can any Damage Health spell work? Does it detect fire elemental? Are "at range"/"touch" exact parameters?

Also, if I make a multi-effect spell, ie Cure Disease + Heal Health, the game will recognize the Cure Disease for a quest trigger, right?

Lastly, magic items will be incapable of triggering quest spell actions, correct?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Right now it matches if loaded spell contains the same effect as classic spell, but it could be made to match by all params of classic spell including target type and element.

I don't believe items will work with the current setup,