Linux #132: Monsters rotation incorrect (Remaster 3.0 mod)

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
pango

Linux #132: Monsters rotation incorrect (Remaster 3.0 mod)

Post by pango »

I noticed something fishy with cycling of Ancient Lich and Vampire Ancient when the Remaster 3.0 mod is in use; I noticed it in Scourg Barrow "court", because it's one of the few places you can observe them at your leisure, but I could later check it in other places using invisibility.

If I'm in front of either and start getting around them by the right, they rotate as expected, until I'm behind them.
But if I get around them by the left, they rotate in the wrong direction, until you're, again, right behind them.

If I understand correctly what's going on, the game doesn't flip the monsters image vertically, so when you should be seeing their right side, you're instead looking at images of their left side.
Surprisingly it doesn't happen with the original textures.

Linux version, proprietary nVidia video driver, no other mod installed.
Attachments
SAVE48.zip
(252.79 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Re: Linux #132: Monsters rotation incorrect (Remaster 3.0 mod)

Post by Hazelnut »

IIRC KoW made an optimisation to reduce texture memory reqs by removing unused mob frames. Sounds like it might be that, but I'm sure KoW will let us know in due course.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I believe Hazelnut is correct and this is just part of the optimisation in KoW's mod. It shouldn't impact play much, other than to be a little immersion breaking under certain conditions.

Are you able to reproduce without any mods installed? It's often best to raise questions about specific mods in their corner of Released Mods forum, as mod creator might not track bug forums (which is for bugs in base game).

I'll leave this one here for now until issue confirmed to be only present in remaster mod.

pango

Post by pango »

pango wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 pm Surprisingly it doesn't happen with the original textures.
That's Remaster 3.0 mod specific
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Best raise this in the appropriate mod discussion area then. This forum is for bugs in Daggerfall Unity.

I do appreciate the report however. Cheers. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, thanks for report. I will try the save u provided during the weekend and write back!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ok, I was able to reproduce the bug and it doesnt happen in vanilla. Damn. No idea what is causing that tbh, as Ive not deleted any flats from the sets. Great :/ will try to solve it. Thanks for report

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well, another set of tests.

I placed only this particular mobs sprites in the streaming assets. The set has all the frames, and all the frames are the same colour pallette, same everything. And the rotation problem still exists. So some frames work, some dont.

The thing with rotation is, that in order to work, the engine must do a mirroring effect, and that is clearly not happening here, when the textures are modded.

This mob - Lich King - texture 288 - has 5 rotation animation frames, same as all the other mobs.
288_15-0
288_16-0
288_17-0
288_18-0
288_19-0

Its always last 5 frames from the archive and looks like this:
01.jpg
01.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
And a theoretical mirrored images would look like this:
01 mirrored.jpg
01 mirrored.jpg (43.68 KiB) Viewed 2936 times

So you can see there are not enough frames for a full rotation, and thats where mirroring comes in place. That was created by Bethesda to save memory, and works good, when it works.)

But somehow, importing the new flats breaks this functionality. Thats what I think now. Maybe Lacus can take a look? I think it has something to do with the modding system. The mirroring/flipping function cease to work in this case, when u import new flats.

Or am I completely wrong?? :D

Would be nice to solve this one, eventho its quite a minor bug..

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Looks like UV are not flipped on a DaggerfallMobileUnit with imported textures, hopefully is an easy fix.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for looking at it Lacus, fingers crossed for a relatively easy solution! :geek: