Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
jedidia

Re: Tedious Travel 0.1.2

Post by jedidia »

Hmmmm... I had started a new game with the mod, and despite hanging around daggerfall for a few days I haven't yet received the letter that starts the main quest... Is it possible that arriving at daggerfall by *not* fast-traveling, the main quest somehow got messed up?

Once timer is done, letter will arrive at a random time while in town, or when you initiate fast travel in a town, or when you arrive at a new town.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is just based on world time passed, as long as world time runs at the same relative rate it should be OK.

As a test, open up the quest debugger (LeftShift+Tab to toggle, [ and ] to cycle quests) and view the current state of _BRISIEN. There's a timer at the bottom that counts down between 7-14 days (going from memory here). If it's green then timer is still running. When it turns red the timer has completed and letter should be imminent.

Hit me with a save if you still have issues and I'll take a closer look.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

This is just based on world time passed, as long as world time runs at the same relative rate it should be OK.
Ah... I didn't know that. In that case it's probably just because it's closer to the maximum limit than usual. So I can get the letter anywhere, not just in daggerfall?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, as long as you're in a town. The debugger will show you how much longer if left on letter timer. But if timer is expired and letter still not arriving, send me a save to look it.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Only a small thing, during travel there are slow downs
That I can't do anything about. Slowdowns when entering a new map tile are even present without any time compression at all, and they don't get any better when you enter new map tiles faster...
the cursor always reset position in the middle of the screen
This is known, and an artefact from attempting to keep open an interactable menu while the game is running. Essentially, it seems not possible to set the players orientation while mouse look is disabled, so I have to let daggerfall lock the mouse every once in a while to update the orientation. I've been looking at this a bit and I think there is a way to fix this by accessing the underlying unity API directly, but I'm not quite sure yet. What I am sure is that I could reduce it a lot by checking if the update is even necessary. Right now I'm just overwriting pitch and yaw without looking at whether they're actually off.
I could make it from Privateer's Hold to Daggerfall in 40 minutes.
That sounds like you need a horse. I made the trip in about 30 at 15x, and a lot of that I spent chatting at ins...

Lorex

Post by Lorex »

That I can't do anything about. Slowdowns when entering a new map tile are even present without any time compression at all, and they don't get any better when you enter new map tiles faster...
True, I had forgotten about the slowdowns at normal speed...
This is known, and an artefact from attempting to keep open an interactable menu while the game is running. Essentially, it seems not possible to set the players orientation while mouse look is disabled, so I have to let daggerfall lock the mouse every once in a while to update the orientation. I've been looking at this a bit and I think there is a way to fix this by accessing the underlying unity API directly, but I'm not quite sure yet. What I am sure is that I could reduce it a lot by checking if the update is even necessary. Right now I'm just overwriting pitch and yaw without looking at whether they're actually off.
Well an improvment is always welcome, so looking forward to it.
That sounds like you need a horse. I made the trip in about 30 at 15x, and a lot of that I spent chatting at ins...
Indeed, with a horse it took half the time. My estimation is that at this accelareted time I can ride a horse from west to east (or viceversa) in about 2,5/3 hours, if I'm not mistaken.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

jedidia wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:45 am Ok, since there seem to be no further bugs at the moment, I'll move to implementing the option to fall back on classic fast travel, and boats. Might take another while.
Sweet !
P.s. you guys should try this thing on foot, its pretty cool.

Yes the option to use this or the original fast travel in-game would be awesome ( without having to disable the mod).
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Everything works right with build 133, no head bobbing, and the footsteps come back
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Post by pango »

I'm wondering if the "There are enemies nearby" message should be blocking (modal), much like when you're interrupted during resting, instead of scrolling text.
That way, if you were drinking tea while watching the landscape, this gives you the opportunity to grab your mouse and keyboard again ;)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

That's a good point, actually. Especially since more often than not the HUD text seems to get eaten by something (possibly aftereffects of time compression, as I don't know where in the event chain unity actually applies the change to it...).

Next version is progressing, this won't be difficult to put in. Major feature will be travel by ship, which will be a fast-travel mechanic between port towns. I.e. instantaneous arrival (not in in-game time, of course) when travelling from a port town to another port town after paying a fare. Should make a fallback on classic fasttravel unnecessary, since this will allow you to skip the potential months of travel time if you need to get around the entire map. It makes travelling pretty morrowind-ish.

Will also make owning ships a little bit more useful, because a) I increased the fare somewhat, and b) I noticed that many homes and even some dungeons are marked as ports by daggerfall. I'll have those "gated off", i.e. there's no regular shipping to these places, so you can't book passage to them, but you can still travel there with your own ship.

There's also quite a few ports inland, I assume they're supposed to be located on navigable rivers...? Unless somebody provides me with a map of rivers in the entire game area, there won't be any strict pathing between them, though.

Still debating whether I should implement a ship location. I.e. that you can only use your ship if it's actually in the port you're currently at. Not in this version certainly, but it's something I'm thinking about.