New advantages/disadvantages discussion

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Narf the Mouse

Re: New advantages/disadvantages discussion

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:23 am Moved to the modder feature request forum now. You should be able to edit your first post and rename title.
Not the fanciest title, but it'll do, I think.
Jay_H wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:42 am Thanks Interkarma.

Now then, what about damage resistance as a chargen trait? Resist normal weaponry for human opponents, resist natural damage for all beast types, and resist magical damage for atronach, vampire, and daedric types. Maybe 25% or 33% lower.

And a magicka-conversion trait: if magicka is not full, health will not regen during rest but magicka will regen at double speed. If magicka is full, health regens normally during rest.

And a magicka regeneration trait, complementary to health regeneration.
I like this idea, but it's going to require a new mechanic, and here's why: Daggerfall defines weapon resistances by material tier; loup-garou, for example, require silver; harpies, elven? mithril? not sure. Daedra, I'm pretty sure, require something near the top of the list. there's about 10 different weapon material types, with Daedric at the top, and iron at the bottom. So, silver hurts werewolves, but so does elven, dwarven, daedric, and everything in-between.

"Resist normal weaponry" would translate closest to, I think, "steel or below", which is steel and iron. Natural damage is actually a "secret", extra tier that goes up to 11. Nothing resists natural damage, so making something resist natural damage would mean even daedric wouldn't affect it.

So, to make a long story short, the solution to this is a new mechanic of resistances to specific materials. :)

As for resisting specific elemental effects (fire, frost, poison, shock, and magicka), fortunately those already exist. :)

Those both sound good. Conversely, also, you could have a trait that drains your magicka to heal you until your health is full. Since this is strictly better than the existing method of "no magic during the day or at night", then it should also move the dagger less.

An advantage I just noodled up could be "Dangerous Casting", where you can emergency-cast from fatigue (or health!). One obvious hole to plug is not allowing the player to cast a spell to heal health or fatigue when emergency casting. But if you need, say, a slow-falling spell right now...
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm not sure how much enemy types adhere to weapon materials. For example, player werewolves and vampires (I think?) are completely immune to the city guard. They are invincible to their attacks. That would suggest the game treats them as steel or lower, regardless of the weapons they wield. Incidentally, one of DF's patches ensured enemies would gain bonus damage based on the weapons in their inventory, but I do not believe this affects the material effect I just stated.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:10 am I'm not sure how much enemy types adhere to weapon materials. For example, player werewolves and vampires (I think?) are completely immune to the city guard. They are invincible to their attacks. That would suggest the game treats them as steel or lower, regardless of the weapons they wield. Incidentally, one of DF's patches ensured enemies would gain bonus damage based on the weapons in their inventory, but I do not believe this affects the material effect I just stated.
I actually have relevant info I seem to recall from way back; someone investigated that very guard issue, and found their weapons were counted as either iron or steel (I can't remember which). IIRC, it was probably from a Daggerfall site who's name I cannot remember, but was very popular, and also had a lot of character pictures, some fanfic, and a bunch of Daggerfall info.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

This thread https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1315 give me an idea for an advantage/disadvantage.
An advantage that raises the attribute point cap and a disadvantage that lowers it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm, and then I wonder if it could be stacked; use that same advantage 5 times to increase to 150 max, but the difficulty dagger would be killer :lol: Not bad!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Feralwarlord wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:45 am This thread https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1315 give me an idea for an advantage/disadvantage.
An advantage that raises the attribute point cap and a disadvantage that lowers it.
Combined with a hard cap, this would allow adjusting the character's effective "maximum level/ability".

Could do the same with skills, and the ideas in the attributes thread could also be applied to skills.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I just came up with an interesting one for mages: "Magicka Channel: You intrinsicly channel power from the Aetherius, granting you a constant flow of magicka." Basically, you have a small, fast-refilling pool of magicka. Maximum might be x0.3 your Intelligence, refilling at 1% of the pool per minute; to balance this, "this channel of magicka cannot be used to directly affect the user". Basically a reason to restrict healing, invisibility, and other problematic effects. Being able to blast enemies with cantrips is not a balance issue, after all.

For another "You can't use magic, but..." (I have a lot of those, it seems), "Cannot use magic normally, but can use it to boost your attributes." So the only spells available to you would be Fortify [Attribute] and Restore [Attribute], and you'd start with one of each for each attribute. Perhaps they could be toggles that drain your magicka?

Combine the two, and you could basically be Chi Martial Arts Man. To tie this into the cap discussion, perhaps multiply the boost by your cap multiplier. +10 strength is a lot less strength at 110 strength than it is at 50 strength, after all.

Actually, why not just suggest a "Cannot use magic" disadvantage, instead of needing to go "no magic during day/night" all the time, and let people pick magic-option increasing advantages if they want. So "Cannot use magic" would be a disadvantage itself. Add in advantages/disadvantages that give you access to other advantages/disadvantages... Then, "Cannot use magic normally" would be a disadvantage that would allow you access to "alternate magicka use" advantages, but if not would function as "cannot use magic". Put them as sub-options in the same set.

Although maybe I should slow down to let discussion catch up... :lol:

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

well this one is more for RP but how about an advantage that lets you start as a vampire/werewolf/wereboar

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Feralwarlord wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:04 am well this one is more for RP but how about an advantage that lets you start as a vampire/werewolf/wereboar
I like this. Those are balanced, IMO, so I think they'd work best as zero-cost advantages.

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

magic mastery [magic school] (eg. magic mastery destruction)
increases power and/or reduces cost of spells from that school

magic ineptitude [magic school]
reduces power and/or increases cost of spells from that school

magic inability [magic school]
cannot cast spells from that school