Dev build/Linux: can't live edit character's name [RESOLVED]

pango

Dev build/Linux: can't live edit character's name [RESOLVED]

Post by pango »

In Daggerfall classic you can change your name at any time by clicking on it in character's sheet.
(However it could conflict with loading/saving screens that regroup gamesaves by character)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Re: Dev build/Linux: can't live edit character's name

Post by Hazelnut »

I wonder how many people even know that's possible? Shouldn't be too hard to do, and the grouping of characters should still work I think. Although renaming would split the character saves over multiple name 'slots'.

EDIT: Done and PR submitted.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Re: Dev build/Linux: can't live edit character's name

Post by Interkarma »

What Hazelnut said. :)

Easy to do - temporarily hide name label and show textbox to enter new name (prepolulated with current name).

I think the save/load handling is robust enough to do this without any problems, but might briefly confuse users when they next open save UI and all their saves are "missing" as new character is technically first save under new name. I don't see any roadbloacks doing this.

Hazelnut

Re: Dev build/Linux: can't live edit character's name [RESOLVED]

Post by Hazelnut »

Why is there any need to hide the label? I think it's fine to leave it visible, and that's what classic does. (and my PR just submitted ;-))
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Re: Dev build/Linux: can't live edit character's name [RESOLVED]

Post by Interkarma »

Nevermind, I was thinking of a solution where user edits directly over the top of existing name in-situ. I see classic uses a messagebox popup, which is better.