Is it possible to play with a gamepad?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Unknown Figure

Is it possible to play with a gamepad?

Post by Unknown Figure »

All the buttons seem to be mapping correctly, but I can't seem map my d-pad or analogue stick for movement.

Also, when the game starts, it tells you that some bugs may lead to restart the entire adventure. Is there something I must be aware of? Some quest or bug that most of the community knows about?

Thanks in advance.

(Double post merged -Deepfighter)
Last edited by Unknown Figure on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Is it possible to play with a gamepad?

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

Daggerfall is a very keyboard and mouse heavy game. At this time Daggerfall Unity doesn't have native controller support. It's possible to kind of hack it together with enough work, but the experience wouldn't be very good. This is something I'd like to look at in future, but it's more of a stretch goal that anything and isn't on the roadmap.

That warning is there to remind people the game is still under development (in pre-alpha right now). There's nothing specific, but it's possible to encounter issues with quests and gameplay that aren't yet known. The purpose is mainly to manage expectations considering the game isn't at 1.0 yet.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Unknown Figure wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:07 am All the buttons seem to be mapping correctly, but I can't seem map my d-pad or analogue stick for movement.

Also, when the game starts, it tells you that some bugs may lead to restart the entire adventure. Is there something I must be aware of? Some quest or bug that most of the community knows about?

Thanks in advance.

(Double post merged -Deepfighter)
I'm just gonna put my 2 cents here because I played classic back in the day, and I did it with a joystick, and maybe this will help.

Daggerfall wouldent let me play with the analogue, for looking, just for moving, it was way back when that function in games was not really in yet.
Some shooters did it, but mostly on console, not even Battlefield 1942 did it (I don't remember seeing it on the p.c. at the time at all, maybe I missed it).

What I did was, map the movement, and a few other key presses to the controller, and the rest to Key board, and mouse, and it worked (it felt funny compared to Morrowind, which had analogue for look on console at the time, but not on p.c. (played them both)), but you could get used to it, and less flailing around at your keyboard in the dark if you mapped the right button(s) (not much tho, hey it's Daggerfall :lol:).

I would do things like: open spell book to cast, rest, inv, jump, sneak, crouch + movement = gamepad...

Activate center object, swing weapon/bow, recast spell, run, look= mouse, and the rest on keyboard.

This stuff isn't really analogous to DFU, but it may give you an idea of how classic worked, and maybe some things to try, until it is fully functional with a pad.
I don't really remember if the button press for analogue sticks themselves work either in classic, I think not, but I'm to lazy to check anyways, so I'm gonna hazard a no on that...

So that's my exp with gamepads, and classic, and I hope it helps .

When we can use the analogue stick to look around, it will be a big day in Daggerfall for me personally, so you are not the only one eager to see this added.

P.s. Sorry for jumping in like this, but hey, I'm kinda a dork, and I tried this stuff bigtime way back when, again, hope this helps..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

While not a standard gamepad. The steamcontroller gives you a lot more configuarbility, and can be used to play Daggerfall after a significant amount of setup. Here[/youtube] is a great video of someone doing just that!

MisterFa11

Post by MisterFa11 »

I personally use Pinnacle Game Profiler. I'm able to have multiple keyboard mappings to my Xbox controller using shift modes. And with go to coordinate commands, I can initiate spells from the spellbook without having to make manual selections. And I haven gotten directional attacks to work with the joystick and holding down another button.