Changing some movement behaviour

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Lorex

Changing some movement behaviour

Post by Lorex »

First, it always felt awkard to strafe with a horse, would be great to disable that completely. Second, a more drastic change would be to disable movements when swinging a weapon, to avoid the very well known exploit about hitting while going backward, after all dodging should be a character's skill, not player's.

Obviously I don't know how feasable this would be, I myself downloaded the Unity 3D and the unity package but I'm still trying to understand something about DF/Unity modding basics, it's overwhelming! :mrgreen:

Jay_H

Re: Changing some movement behaviour

Post by Jay_H »

Lorex wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:51 pmafter all dodging should be a character's skill, not player's.
Dodging skill only accounts for 10% of the hit-rate formula. If a character has 100% dodging and the enemy has 100% accuracy, the PC will only dodge 10% of the time -- in Daggerfall this is a death wish :D

Lorex

Post by Lorex »

I see... so as part of the mod Dodging should be rebalanced a bit, I suppose.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

But horses can strafe ;)
dodging should be a character's skill, not player's.
It should be both. Having it just be a dice roll is boring. Daggerfall does a nice job of requiring you to move around while still having a skill that occasionally saves you from hits.

I've been playing with the improved mechanics and monsters are getting plenty of shots in when I try to hit them. What mods could improve combat are things like more mobs, monsters that can teleport behind you, monsters that can charge you, monsters that shoot slow dodgeable projectiles, etc. I think armor and hp could also be nerfed.

Lorex

Post by Lorex »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:01 am But horses can strafe ;)
Ok but in DF it's "a bit" too much exaggerated. ;)
It should be both. Having it just be a dice roll is boring.
DF is (almost) all about dice roll. :) And from my pov player's skills here are too predominant. That's the old-school-RPG soul in me, can't help it. :) As it is now Dodging doesn't help too much and players can "run backwards" (is that a superpower? :o) swinging their weapon like a mad man.

So my mod idea would be to do something about the "run backwards" movement, like, completely disable it and allow walking only.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Lorex wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:47 pmSo my mod idea would be to do something about the "run backwards" movement, like, completely disable it and allow walking only.
The strategy of backing away works less and less the higher you put your monster reflex setting, especially since you can only back away so much before bumping into something. I have it on the highest setting and even when backing away, enemies are getting counter hits in half the time. These stupid skeletons have killed my lvl 2 custom like 10 times already. And he's got 90 speed. You should try raising your reflex setting.