Notebook, Enemy Spellcasting, And Bug Fixes

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Jukic

Re: Notebook, Enemy Spellcasting, And Bug Fixes

Post by Jukic »

Each month is like a mini holiday, what You guys are putting together ....
And the notebook is simply amazing !

All the best! :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I especially like the part where they don't drop their entire Magicka on a stack of spells.

Also looking forward to the first combat enhancement mod for spell casting. Spell duels, anyone? :D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've been thinking about the implementation of magic and the change this effects on the enemies. I'm really quite excited. Lots of people have talked about Daggerfall being a first-person roguelike, and I think this is quite relevant.

For example, roguelikes often have gatekeepers that require you to have one of several setups to get past. Take DCSS, which will absolutely kill you if you try to enter the Snake Nest without poison protection. Likewise, this is the flavor DFU has taken on. If you're going to face enemies of a certain kind, you will need certain protections. This opens up the need to farm for magical items or train up magical skills so you can defend yourself. Classic never had that kind of variety: either you reflected spells, absorbed spells, or got lucky and the enemy killed itself.

This is going to be great! :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I agree, there's definitely a different feeling to magical enemies in DFU compared to classic. A better rhythm to everything. Allofich has really teased out some nice gameplay in all this. I also find myself thinking about what I need to survive encounters and kind of regret not putting more priority on potions now.

Allofich has also added more advanced AI behaviours to enemies in a recent update that hasn't made it into a build yet. For an example, I was levitating towards a frost Daedra earlier that backed up and ice-spelled me to the face. It was a totally unexpected moment that made me grin like an idiot. :)

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

For an example, I was levitating towards a frost Daedra earlier that backed up and ice-spelled me to the face. It was a totally unexpected moment that made me grin like an idiot. :)
Glad you're enjoying it :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Beautiful update guys, be proud of yourself!

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Geat update once again. I especially like the new notebook features, this is a huge improvment over classic DF.

VorpaltheNord

Post by VorpaltheNord »

I am really enchanted with the team's work. Many thanks.