Forget about hit chance

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Liebranca

Forget about hit chance

Post by Liebranca »

Hey people,

I reckon the title says it all; I want to bypass dicerolls -- have hit chance default to 100% and call it a day
This means replacing the formula with a constant and either disposing of the 97% cap or turning it up to a hundred
Now, I happen to be a programmer but I don't think that's even necessary here. This is just tweaking values
So if anyone can tell me which files I want to be looking at, that'd be great

Cheers
What a fool you are, I'm a god! How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence!

pango

Re: Forget about hit chance

Post by pango »

Hi Liebranca,
After some searching, my best bet would be
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... er.cs#L757
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah mods can override most of the combat formula, I added that for InconsolableCellist a while back as he plans to do a combat tuning mod.

I'm really not sure why you would want to remove hit chance completely however, since DF is an RPG and not a action combat game. Success of actions in RPGs should always be based on the character skill, with player making decisions about what actions to take. (e.g. retreat, but at a speed based on character stats) Anyway, you can make it work however you want and should be able to tune damage etc to compensate for 100% hit chances.

An example of overriding one of the formula can be found in the Archaeologists mod on my github.

Code: Select all

// Override default formula
        FormulaHelper.formula_1pe_1sk.Add("CalculateEnemyPacification", CalculateEnemyPacification);

private static bool CalculateEnemyPacification(PlayerEntity player, DFCareer.Skills languageSkill)
        {
               Debug.Log("Pacification override!");
        }
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Liebranca

Post by Liebranca »

Lovely, thank you both. I'll see what I come up with.
What a fool you are, I'm a god! How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence!

mtrredux

Post by mtrredux »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:27 pm Yeah mods can override most of the combat formula, I added that for InconsolableCellist a while back as he plans to do a combat tuning mod.

I'm really not sure why you would want to remove hit chance completely however, since DF is an RPG and not a action combat game. Success of actions in RPGs should always be based on the character skill, with player making decisions about what actions to take. (e.g. retreat, but at a speed based on character stats) Anyway, you can make it work however you want and should be able to tune damage etc to compensate for 100% hit chances.
There was a mod for morrowind that gave 100% hit chance but made damage variable based on skill.

That would a mix between action and RPG RNG