Duel quest bug daggerfallunity_windows_x64-61 [RESOLVED]

jayhova

Duel quest bug daggerfallunity_windows_x64-61 [RESOLVED]

Post by jayhova »

I got a quest by being insulted by an NPC in a tavern and the exchange resulting in being challenged to a duel in another nearby tavern. The issue is the NPC in question never moves and remains as a static NPC in the original tavern. If I go to the tavern where he is supposed to appear and ask about him, I am told to go back to the first tavern where sure enough there he is as the same static.
Duel quest.jpg
Duel quest.jpg (167.45 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Re: Duel quest bug daggerfallunity_windows_x64-61

Post by pango »

Hi jayhova,
I suspect it's related to the known limitation of "hide npc" not working on static npcs yet; I reported a problem that look similar in the forums but not in the bug tracker, so I guess it's now done ;)

I see you have the quest debugger open in the screenshot, I assume A0C00Y10 is the "duel" quest?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

"hide npc" is implemented now, but not in current builds.

Besides the issue of NPC flat not being hidden, it sounds like the duelist isn't spawning. I'll take a look at this and confirm bug soon.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:23 am "hide npc" is implemented now, but not in current builds.

Besides the issue of NPC flat not being hidden, it sounds like the duelist isn't spawning. I'll take a look at this and confirm bug soon.
The last time I performed the duel quest, the duelist did spawn at the inn, but not within 3 hours. So I rested 24 hours and did get him to spawn. This seems to be related to other bug reports like Guarding the Mage's Guild, where things aren't spawning as soon as they should.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I have done a duel quest where the NPC did spawn. In this particular one when you ask about the NPC you're told he is back at the first tavern. Is it even possible for the NPC to be in two places at once? This seems to be a problem beyond simply hiding the flat. How was this handled in classic?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

jayhova wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:50 pm I have done a duel quest where the NPC did spawn. In this particular one when you ask about the NPC you're told he is back at the first tavern. Is it even possible for the NPC to be in two places at once? This seems to be a problem beyond simply hiding the flat. How was this handled in classic?
It's handled by classic in exactly the same way. The Person (static NPC) and Foe (the enemy you actually fight) are two completely different resources in quest system. The quest script simply hides the flat person in tavern A and spawns enemy mobile in tavern B. The enemy you fight is a totally different thing to the original person, they're only linked in terms of "narrative" and it's up to the player to suspend disbelief and accept that flat person is now a spellsword in a different tavern. It's all smoke and mirrors.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:15 am It's handled by classic in exactly the same way. The Person (static NPC) and Foe (the enemy you actually fight) are two completely different resources in quest system. The quest script simply hides the flat person in tavern A and spawns enemy mobile in tavern B. The enemy you fight is a totally different thing to the original person, they're only linked in terms of "narrative" and it's up to the player to suspend disbelief and accept that flat person is now a spellsword in a different tavern. It's all smoke and mirrors.
I suppose my question is more about the specifics of the sleight of hand and how it works. In this particular scenario when you ask an NPC where is X and they give a location, when does that change? If you simply hide the flat and don't change the NPC location it becomes confusing. At least it was confusing for me when I asked the tavern owner where X was and was directed back to the origin of the quest. Was this also an issue with classic? My expectation would be that sometime after getting the quest the flat would go away and if you asked where he was you might get told I don't know or he is over at tavern B.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, the game won't give you directions to an enemy. Enemies don't have names, so every time you ask for directions, it'll lead you to a static.

I've engineered this in my favor with custom quests by planting a static NPC in a house, hiding it, and spawning an enemy in the same spot. Then I tell the player to ask around for directions to find the NPC. They "find" the static, which is invisible, and properly see the enemy in its place.

Classic has a quest command to transfer a static to a new location, but the quest at hand doesn't use that.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Okay, that clarifies things. Seems like a bit of a limitation if the quest (which does give you the name of the NPC you are supposed to fight) has that NPC in one location and spawns the enemy mover in another. It seems like the only reasonable thing to do would be to move the static to the new location and render it invisible. BTW, Can you still click on the invisible static?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No, Daggerfall registers clicks only on any part of the sprite. The invisible sprite can't receive any clicks.