Habitual warrior/mage player - questions about temples

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Narf the Mouse

Habitual warrior/mage player - questions about temples

Post by Narf the Mouse »

So basically I've somehow managed to almost never do temple factions in Daggerfall. For over twenty years.

Anyway, I have some questions:

1) I understand you can only join one. However, on the UESP pages for the temples, it looks like each region has an associated divine:
1a) Can you only find that temple in those regions, or,
ab) Can you predominantly find that temple in those regions, but others exist?
2) What do you get for temple quests? Fighter's guild offers money and treasure; Mage's Guild offers money, a lot of services, and the occasional magic item; Knightly Orders offer legal rank, reputation, and a free piece of armour when you gain a rank in the guild, but never offer money for quests and tend to send you after giants. Temples seem to offer some services and situational benefits upon increased rank in the faction, but what do you get for quests (money? reputation? satisfaction of a job well-done? potions? magic items?)?
3) Can someone with artistic skills make a mod to make the temples look less like Some Other Business? Thanks.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Re: Habitual warrior/mage player - questions about temples

Post by Jay_H »

1b.

2. Generally you aren't rewarded for temple quests. Rising in rank gives you special benefits, which some guilds share (magic item creation, potion making) and some are entirely unique (reduced travel time, divine lifesaving).

3. Explain yourself, Narf!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:19 am 1b.

2. Generally you aren't rewarded for temple quests. Rising in rank gives you special benefits, which some guilds share (magic item creation, potion making) and some are entirely unique (reduced travel time, divine lifesaving).

3. Explain yourself, Narf!
1b. Thanks.

2. Thanks.

3. No prude shaming! :P

Edit:

4. Are (some) temples the only place to buy potions?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Oh, now I see what you mean. Kynareth and Dibella look like brothels, but most of the other temples avoid that. Julianos is especially high-class.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:39 am Oh, now I see what you mean. Kynareth and Dibella look like brothels, but most of the other temples avoid that. Julianos is especially high-class.
And here my complete inexperience with temples in Daggerfall shows. ;) I mostly pop in for a Cure Disease if my current character doesn't have that spell, for whatever reason.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

4. No, potions can be purchased from Dark Brotherhood, any temple except 2, and the Archaeologists guild (mod)

Take a look at:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Temples
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:13 pm 4. No, potions can be purchased from Dark Brotherhood, any temple except 2, and the Archaeologists guild (mod)

Take a look at:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Temples
4. Thanks. I'm not playing an assassin this time, but I have the Archaeologists' guild mod.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

5. Can you actually get healed at a temple? Because the only healing services I'm seeing are "Cure Disease".

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes. Talk to any member of the temple once you're at a certain rank, different with each deity. Stendarr, for one, grants it immediately.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:20 am Yes. Talk to any member of the temple once you're at a certain rank, different with each deity. Stendarr, for one, grants it immediately.
5. Thanks. Unfortunately, my character is near-death from a bats-in-house quest.

...Why are bat/rat quests more dangerous than bear/tiger quests?