Visible Player "Model" In First and Third Person Possible?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Magicono43

Visible Player "Model" In First and Third Person Possible?

Post by Magicono43 »

Hey guys, I just had a shower thought about a mod that almost every Elder Scrolls game has after Daggerfall. A mod that allow the player to see their characters feet and possibly other body features in first person. Also since Daggerfall does not have a third person view, maybe even making that a thing.

I know this would be pretty difficult as you would have to basically make the paperdoll of the character into an animated sprite just like the other entities in the game.

I am mostly making this thread to ask if this would even be possible with the DFUnity engine. It seems like it would be since it is basically just a 3D engine, I mean even brutal doom was able to do this. Thanks for anyone that can confirm if camera manipulation like this is potentially feasible with DFUnity.

King of Worms

Re: Visible Player "Model" In First and Third Person Possible?

Post by King of Worms »

I was thinking about this be4. Making the paperdoll animated in 3d person is basically imposible IMO for many reasons.

But what MIGHT be possible and fun is this.
"STATIC SELFIE MODE"

basically, you press a key and you get presented with a following view:

- camera rotates 180 degrees and is placed in front of you

- the paperdoll from a inventory is placed in the world so u can see yourself there

- you cant move anywhere

- only possible movement is that the camera can zoom in and out to some extent maybe. If its a problem, make it completely static.

Think about it, its possible, and it would make for a interresting screens and just whole new perspective to the game. Would be awesome mod.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

See, I don't think it would be that unfeasible to make a mod like this that would have an animated and movable version.

There are games like Diablo 2 that have does things like it with their player character and putting on different pieces of armor and equipment and seamlessly changing the sprite accordingly.

Just look at these sprite sheets (does not seem to work building anything else in my browser)

http://www.kevinbertel.com/diablo2/?cha ... bmit=Build

I need to look more into how they did this in Diablo 2, but I don't see a reason it would be completely impossible to do something similar in DFUnity. Would be A LOT of effort yes, but seems doable.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I used bad word...its not impossible. But to do it properly, its insane amount of work. I can be wrong tho!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The most basic implementation would be to make third-person view possible and place an ordinary enemy sprite for the player's. If you chose an Assassin class, you get the Assassin sprite, and so on.

Altering the PC's sprite based on paper doll equipment would be an absolute nightmare :lol:

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Yeah, after using the "Daggerfall Imaging 2" program and looking through how all the equipment sprites work and paperdoll works.

It does seem extremely difficult to implement this in a way that would allow animations and anything more than a basic static image to be seen in third person.

Not saying I would not want to try at some point, but it does not seem feasible for the effect it would have overall.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Well, a mobile sprite is pretty much out, but am I missing something? Because we already have a 3rd-person front-view image that has all appropriate armour, weapons, and clothes that we could just splat onto a texture for a 3rd-person location shot. Just replicate what the inventory view does, but outside the inventory and without adding the background. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thats what Im talking abot narf :) take that paperdoll, place in world and rotate camera towards it = static selfie mode is born. As long as the player movement is locked and camera rotaion is locked that is. Would be great.

Or the idea to use the enemy humanoid npc animated models as a 3rd person view representation of a player, its mentioned above by Jay_H . That could be fun as well! Because that way. You can move freely, attack, cast spells, shoot arrows....

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:37 pm Thats what Im talking abot narf :) take that paperdoll, place in world and rotate camera towards it = static selfie mode is born. As long as the player movement is locked and camera rotaion is locked that is. Would be great.

Or the idea to use the enemy humanoid npc animated models as a 3rd person view representation of a player, its mentioned above by Jay_H . That could be fun as well! Because that way. You can move freely, attack, cast spells, shoot arrows....
Not enough sleep...
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

TheHourMan

Post by TheHourMan »

The easiest way to do this (without using enemy sprites) would be to make ONLY sprites from behind in order to reduce the amount of work. There is no reason to require sprites from the front or sides. A bigger issue would be what would happen when you look up or down. A fixed vertical axis on the camera may be ideal for this.

Making a walking animation, an idle image, an attacking image, a climbing animation, climbing idle, swimming animation, swimming idle, and a spell casting image would be everything I can think of that would be required. Now we would have to make each of those for every single player head, every single possible combination of armor/clothing, and every single race with both of those varients as well. Plus one for werewolf, wereboar, and a set for vampire versions of every combination of every piece of attire on every race.

Definitely not impossible, but it could take a very, very, very long time for someone to do that, and at that point would it even be worth it?
Discord (adults only:) discord.gg/nehjDHW