The DFU Character Thread

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Narf the Mouse

Re: The DFU Character Thread

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Well, he's dead.

Got a job to guard a residence. Went to the wrong residence twice because my eyes would apparently not into map.

Then got poisoned by the burglars and died of... lack of magicka? After my magicka hit zero, my health dropped to zero and then died. Got to level 2.

Anyway, I think my next play will be more conventional wrt reloading.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, that's too bad. I've been making general exceptions for things that I know are unbalanced, which in my case are diseases. I know you're not intended to sleep for 13 hours peacefully and then wake up dead, so I discount those cases :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I needed a break from the typical Daggerfall scene, so here's a pacifist!

The only rules are to not die and not kill anything :) Enemy infighting is disabled.

Privateer's Hold was a rush, where I just grabbed as much loot as I could on my way out. Now I have a proper character and I'm starting questing. And of course, in typical roguelike fashion, I found this in the first dungeon:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

My pacifist made it to level 3, and was teleported by the Mages Guild into a dungeon. I could've easily Recalled out, but to me that's cheese, so I started walking. The whole thing was full of animals, so I couldn't pacify anything. Things very quickly turned for the worse, and I was trapped by 2 bears and a tiger. :cry:

My new character is going to only ever use magic to attack. So far the going has been very difficult, but I might be using the wrong type of attack spell.

EDIT: He's dead, Jim! Died at level 1 trying to get research notes back from a Dark Brotherhood assassin. I'm going for a more normal character this time, but who can only use Alteration magic:

EDIT 2: Forgot Immunity to Paralysis! NEXT!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:58 pm My pacifist made it to level 3, and was teleported by the Mages Guild into a dungeon. I could've easily Recalled out, but to me that's cheese, so I started walking. The whole thing was full of animals, so I couldn't pacify anything. Things very quickly turned for the worse, and I was trapped by 2 bears and a tiger. :cry:

My new character is going to only ever use magic to attack. So far the going has been very difficult, but I might be using the wrong type of attack spell.

EDIT: He's dead, Jim! Died at level 1 trying to get research notes back from a Dark Brotherhood assassin. I'm going for a more normal character this time, but who can only use Alteration magic:

EDIT 2: Forgot Immunity to Paralysis! NEXT!
:lol:
That sounds like fun actually, all my guys end up being gods cause I'm to scared to get my but kicked, I think Ill try it.
I'm gonna be a linguistic/pacifist, who likes to box, and only box....see how that goes...
I wonder if I'll make it out of PH.....
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

For most of my characters I'm racing out of PH, none of them can handle the combat :D I give myself an exception for the first dungeon though, if I die in it I just reload. It doesn't make much sense to me to recreate the same character over and over just so I can get out ;)

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Wait, you guys are playing daggerfall with permadeath? :lol:
I'm all for permadeath games, but in games that take tens of hours to build your character I find it a bit anticlimactic most of the time.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yeah, I'm going to alter that for awhile until DFU gets a bit more balanced. Right now spiders and scorpions are guaranteed death, and who knows what magic users will be like.

I'll come back to it, I will! We'll just see what adjustments DFU undergoes in the meantime :)

EDIT: Maybe I'll try a Tales of Maj'Eyal system where you have limited lives rather than instant permadeath. Immortality via timeline control still seems dull, even with all the surprises DFU brings :lol:

EDIT 2: All right let's do this! LEEROY JENKINS!! 10 lives!

hannafamilycomputer

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

Sometimes during my normal playthrough, I'll lure a monster to another, then jump over it, and run the other direction while the two battle it out.
I've been able to jump over short monsters such as tigers, bears, and scorpions. Holding shift to run helps too, and when your jumping over them they'll only have one roll to hit you (though scorpions and spiders might get lucky, then you're dead.)

This strategy might help your non-fighting charecters get past creatures - run at them and jump over them!

Ralzar

A moment of silence please

Post by Ralzar »

Well, I might not use the Ironman mod, but I do play with only one save.

Meet Lord Elsinthar. A High Elf nobleman who refuses to wear anything but elf-crafted gear. He has been having a hard time of it but things finally started looking up when I ranked up in the Mages Guild and Akatosh Chantry so I got access to potions and magic items. I was just going to do a few more quests for the guilds and then really dig into the Main Quest.

So, I went on a quest for the Akatosh Chantry, which sent me to a dungeon to find a man. I spent most of last evening trawling through this dungeon and finally had to save and go to bed without having found him after many days of searching.

Today I load up my one save game, take three steps and get...

You feel somewhat bad...

Without knowing it, I had just been poisoned when I saved last time.

I do not have the mana for cure poison.
I do not have the mana for teleport.
I do not have any cure poison items.
If I sleep one hour the poison kills me.

I run through the dungeon and right around the corner... is the guy! He's right by the entrance! If I had turned right instead of left...

If I rest, I die. The poison just keeps eating Endurance until it reaches 0.

I run out of the dungeon and try to fast travel. I die.

So I get desperate. I run out of the dungeon and check my travel map. Closest location: a temple. And I am in a country where Akatosh is the main diety. If I can reach the temple, and they are open, and they have a potion seller, and the potion seller has a Cure Poison potion...

I reach it!

And it's one guy in a stone hut.

And he just asks "What do you want?"

So I load and try again. Heading for the nearest city. I ride and ride until I see the city walls and I get closer...

And I die.

I have saved in a position where I simply cannot save myself.

Farewell sweet prince.

*salutes*

Frustrating, but man, I love this game :D