[MOD] Real Grass 2

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: [MOD] Real Grass 2

Post by pango »

Neeeeeeeed!
Thank you so much, trying that right now :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very nice Lacus!!! Thank you!

I remember about the mist and flying bugs you talked about, is that still a thing which might eventually be implemented? It looked awesome as well.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:55 pm I remember about the mist and flying bugs you talked about, is that still a thing which might eventually be implemented? It looked awesome as well.
I decided to choose quality over quantity and only kept a few butterflies and fireflies at random spots.
I figured that making mist effects look the way i intended would require too much time and would better be part of a weather/climate mod, which is not something i'm interested in right now.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very nice, I love the bugs :) And your decission about the mist is very understandable, thank you!

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Looks great! :)

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

It looks awesome! At this rate DFU will soon rival games like Skyrim in terms of graphics. :D

I did not try DFU in quite a while, but with the latest build (#139) I noticed some performance issues when this mod is active. It manifests as a minute lag (frame-rate drop) like every two-three seconds. It only happens when I am moving, when standing still and only rotating the camera, the frame-rate is stable 60fps.

I have tried to find out which setting is responsible, but even with grass distance set "1" it is still noticeable. Setting it to "0" obviously fixes the problem... :D No other settings made any difference.

My system specs: Win7 64bit, Intel i5 3470 @~4GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 3GB.

My ideas:
- VRAM usage is bordering 3GB with real grass enabled... without it I hover at ~1.5GB, so I was wondering why this mod is so demanding on VRAM.
- Maybe it is that the generation of "new" grass as the player moves causes this.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

UPDATE on my performance issue:

Insufficient VRAM is not the culprit.
Explanation: Yesterday my VRAM usage was high even idling in windows, at around 1.2GB, I did not know whether it is normal or not. Running DFU with the grass mod it has gone to 3GB. However, today my idle VRAM usage was only ~240MB, so even with the mod fully enabled, I have reached max 2.3GB VRAM usage and the periodic lag (frame-rate drop) was there.

The lag is present even with the mod toned down with all the settings disabled (plants, flowers, stones, insects) and the grass set to billboard. Distances and such were left at default. VRAM usage ~1GB. (Practicaly the same as with the mod disabled BTW.)
- Switching to mesh grass increases usage to 1.2GB.
- Adding water plants ~1.2GB.
- Adding flowers ~1.9GB.
- Adding stones ~2.2GB.
- Adding insects ~2.3GB.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Thanky you for you detailed report ifkopifko. :)

A known problematic moment is terrain creation and initialization. When you walk in the open world and a new terrain needs to be created, a small frame drop can be experienced, even with all the recycling and optimizations. If you install a mod that works during terrain setup, like this one, the issue can only be aggravated. This should only occur when a new terrain is generated though, if you have a constant lag it's probably something else. Does anybody else have this issue or worse performance that previous versions in general? Realistic option disabled should give the very same result as previous version.

I will check memory usage and see if there is something off.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Thanks for your reply and concern. :)

As I said, it's a slight stutter (yer clearly visible to my eyes) every 2-3 seconds of running. It is indeed much like when new terrain is generated, but that is not happening so often. That's why I think it's the process of generating new grass on the terrain or something similar.

I have also tried switching the "realistic" option with no impact on the stutter. Only difference is cca +250MB VRAM usage with realistic turned on.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

There is a problem with the most recent version of this mod throwing an exception:

Code: Select all

Not allowed to access Renderer.material on prefab object. Use Renderer.sharedMaterial instead
UnityEngine.Renderer:get_material()
RealGrass.DetailPrototypesManager:SetGrass(String, String, String)
RealGrass.DetailPrototypesManager:UpdateClimateSummer(ClimateBases)
RealGrass.RealGrass:AddTerrainDetails(DaggerfallTerrain, TerrainData)
RealGrass.RealGrass:DaggerfallTerrain_OnPromoteTerrainData(DaggerfallTerrain, TerrainData)
DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain:RaiseOnPromoteTerrainDataEvent(TerrainData) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/DaggerfallTerrain.cs:378)
DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain:PromoteTerrainData(Boolean) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/DaggerfallTerrain.cs:291)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld:UpdateTerrainData(TerrainDesc) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:1153)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld:InitPlayerTerrain() (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:588)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld:Update() (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:242)

Code: Select all

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
RealGrass.DetailPrototypesManager.SetGrass (System.String mesh, System.String classic, System.String realistic)
RealGrass.DetailPrototypesManager.UpdateClimateSummer (ClimateBases currentClimate)
RealGrass.RealGrass.AddTerrainDetails (DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain daggerTerrain, UnityEngine.TerrainData terrainData)
RealGrass.RealGrass.DaggerfallTerrain_OnPromoteTerrainData (DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain sender, UnityEngine.TerrainData terrainData)
DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain.RaiseOnPromoteTerrainDataEvent (UnityEngine.TerrainData terrainData) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/DaggerfallTerrain.cs:378)
DaggerfallWorkshop.DaggerfallTerrain.PromoteTerrainData (Boolean raisePromoteTerrainEvent) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/DaggerfallTerrain.cs:291)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld.UpdateTerrainData (TerrainDesc terrainDesc) (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:1153)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld.InitPlayerTerrain () (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:588)
DaggerfallWorkshop.StreamingWorld.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/Terrain/StreamingWorld.cs:242)
this also causes a bug where the player will fall through the world:
to reproduce: fast travel to Tigonus - Rhogilah and the player has no terrain under his feet