Build #139 - NPCs Won't Give Any Info (new character biography related) [RESOLVED]

sebastian7

Re: Build #139 - NPCs Won't Give Any Info (new character biography related)

Post by sebastian7 »

Just wanted to chime in here and report that I am having the same issue - it is happening for me whenever I make a custom class and choose to answer the biography questions. I am having trouble figuring out what exact set of choices on the biography questions trigger it, but even when I finish the biography questions with a higher reputation for commoners it still seems to happen. I will post a more specific set of actions taken to get there if needed.

This bug is of course sort of game breaking (because literally no one will tell you anything at all), so does anyone know if fast generating a character's background is a way to avoid it?
Check out my let's play series of modded daggerfall where I showcase all the great work people here have done: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hwqq1ioAdW

sebastian7

Post by sebastian7 »

Right okay so I found another bug going on here to complicate this situation. I noticed something quite odd when creating my first character on unity before I encountered the bug here - when I killed civilians and got arrested by the guards, after pleading guilty and debating my innocence and being found not guilty NO ONE would talk to me, and I mean no one at all. That was odd because you have to do that to enter into the dark brotherhood which I did a number of times on vanilla daggerfall and had no trouble talking to commoners on those saves

SO, here is what I did:

1. Open up Unity and make a new save. Create a custom class, choose dark elf, choose random skills (all unrelated to reputation). Then I fast tracked creating my character's background (higher reputation with commoners)
2. Go to a nearby town, kill three random civilians
3. Get arrested by the guards, plead not guilty, get found guilty and banished from the town.
4. Immediately after I am released the guards come after me again for criminal conspiracy. When I try to talk to people no one will give me any info. I evade the guards and travel to another town. Still, no one will talk to me. When I try letting myself get arrested for conspiracy and then talking to commoners the bug still occurs.

Next:
1. I open up vanilla daggerfall, create a custom class, make sure my personality score, race, and skills are all the same as in my unity save. Fast track my biography questions (this time, commoner reputation is unchanged).
2. Head to the nearest town, kill three random civilians
3. Plead not guilty, get found guilty and banished from the town.
4. I am able to talk to people normally, they will mark things on my map. No guards coming after me for conspiracy. People in other towns are also fine talking to me.

Not sure what is going on here, but the behavior around reputation in unity is definitely different from vanilla because I constantly needed to kill civilians/upset law enforcement in my old saves for the dark brotherhood and I never had trouble getting info from the commoners.
Check out my let's play series of modded daggerfall where I showcase all the great work people here have done: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hwqq1ioAdW

ftr89wgbtf4

Post by ftr89wgbtf4 »

sebastian7 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:39 pm This bug is of course sort of game breaking (because literally no one will tell you anything at all), so does anyone know if fast generating a character's background is a way to avoid it?
As far as I could tell, answering this bio question correctly is all it takes to avoid the bug:
*You have the most trouble...
[Choose anything except "getting along with others"]

There was also a PR submitted by numidium on GitHub that should fix the issue. I assume it will be in the next live build. Perhaps it will fix your other issue too.

sebastian7

Post by sebastian7 »

willershuh wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:03 pm
sebastian7 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:39 pm This bug is of course sort of game breaking (because literally no one will tell you anything at all), so does anyone know if fast generating a character's background is a way to avoid it?
As far as I could tell, answering this bio question correctly is all it takes to avoid the bug:
*You have the most trouble...
[Choose anything except "getting along with others"]

There was also a PR submitted by numidium on GitHub that should fix the issue. I assume it will be in the next live build. Perhaps it will fix your other issue too.
Thanks for the quick response - is the bug I am reporting here something that belongs in this thread or should I make a new thread about it if it persists?

I am going to try to select my character's biography and avoid that particular response and hope that no problems persist!

Also, I am totally new here so I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but what exactly is a PR?

Update on the bug I am reporting with the guards and jail: It is happening regardless of the biography questions I choose including whether or not I choose "getting along with others," and it is not happening in classic.

ftr89wgbtf4

Post by ftr89wgbtf4 »

PR = pull request. It just means a code change was submitted.

Well, I guess if it's unrelated to the bio questions, it should be treated as a separate bug.

Terg500

Post by Terg500 »

After I had technical issues with the original game I tried Unity. I re-created my character exactly like I did in vanilla and everyone wouldn't answer my questions, making the game for a newcomer unplayable. Seems to still happen with the latest 12th December version. It's good to know it's not just me though so I'll wait a few years and try again.

Interkarma

Re: Build #139 - NPCs Won't Give Any Info (new character biography related) [RESOLVED]

Post by Interkarma »

I believe this bug has been resolved in builds #140 or later, but it does not retroactively apply to characters created before bug was fixed. These characters will need to be recreated from scratch or edit their reputation in save data.

ftr89wgbtf4

Re: Build #139 - NPCs Won't Give Any Info (new character biography related) [RESOLVED]

Post by ftr89wgbtf4 »

Thank you for your work on this bug. Unfortunately, I am unconvinced that this has been fully resolved as of Pre-Alpha 0.7.2. Here are the problems that are fixed for me:
-Reputations carrying over between saves
-"socializing with aristocrats" improving rep with commoners
-"helping others" not improving rep with commoners

However, the main issue, commoners not giving info if I choose "getting along with others," is still present, even with a fresh character. If I choose "getting along with others" and "helping others," they will give info now. But anything other than "helping others" will not work. This is not expected behavior, according to my vanilla testing. In vanilla, commoners give negative greetings when I choose "getting along with others," but they will still give info. In DFU, they give negative greetings and no info.

It may be the case that this is a bug in vanilla, as was hypothesized earlier in this thread. But to my knowledge, it has not been proven that it is a vanilla bug. Even if it is, this makes it quite difficult to play with characters that choose "getting along with others" and not "helping others," since you will have to manually fill out your map for each location you visit. Also, quests that require you to ask around for information will be harder, since only certain groups will help you. A serious nerf to this bio choice compared to vanilla gameplay.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks, I'll reopen this for Numidium to review when he can.

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Well, we certainly can’t have players getting discouraged just because they picked the wrong bio option. I’ll whip up a random reaction roll system to mimic vanilla.

EDIT: I posted a PR for this here: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1125