[MOD] Realtime Reflections

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: [MOD] Realtime Reflections

Post by Nystul »

new version available (should work with Unity 2018.2.11f1):
Realtime Reflections 2.2.1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zsRuRe ... sp=sharing

lord_frivolous

Post by lord_frivolous »

Awesome! DU just did not feel right without this.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Shiny! Pun fully intended.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

new version (2.2.2) available in first post of this thread (only bugfixes - should work with newest live build)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Noob and I guess redundant question, but...

Is there any way to make this awesome mod less demanding? :lol:
Does the resolution of the textures influence the performance? - like, if we switch the vanila textures to 1024*1024 textures, does it slow down the reflection calculations?

Thank you .)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

The mod is demanding because it uses planar reflections (see first post of this thread for a comparison of different techniques).
It targets high end systems. I fear there is not much that can be optimized anymore.
Whatever impacts performance without the mod by an amount of x will impact performance with this mod by 3*x, because the scene is rendered 2 additional times. So if increased texture resolutions impact performance, they will impact performance.

It might be an option to use screen space reflections instead of this mod if all textures are replaced with variants with metallicgloss maps - although screen space reflection have some other issues by design (can only reflect stuff that is visible in camera, billboards may cause artifacts, outdoor reflections might look bad). also unity's screen space reflection implementation is not as good as other engine's implementation imho.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for a reply and additional explanation. Ive read about the planar reflections in the OP but was still curious :lol:
Well maybe my next PC will be able to handle it. I prolong the upgrade for years :D
So maybe Ryzen3 - 5ghz and some next get mainstream GFX card (new Navi?) will cut it. I have fx8300@4,1ghz and gtx970 now...

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Ommamar wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:13 pm I can't seem to get this to work. I placed it in the DaggerfallUnity Data>streaming assets>mods>StandAlone Windows folder. It shows up in the mod list but I get no results, do I need specific setting in advanced>video? What do the sliders on the mod settings do? I have used the presets, placed it as high as is possible and as low is possible but still not getting the reflective results shown in the screenshots. Does it need a specific place in the load order?
just follow the instructions in the readme file ;)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.