3D weapon models possible?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Samuel_Beard

Re: 3D weapon models possible?

Post by Samuel_Beard »

TheLacus wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:11 pm No is not possible at this time, or better, nobody wrote the code for it yet.

Doing this with first person weapons requires someone to write code to dynamically switch between classic system and alternative system which convert action to specific animation for 3d models, benefiting of mod import. Enemies weapons are a bigger challenge because they're part of body sprite like armor.

Unless you're interested in programming, i suggest to put your efforts in the other sprites you can found around the world of Daggerfall, many of which inside dungeons, replacing them with 3d models, maybe adding candle/torch light and smoke, cups with real liquid and the list go on :)
I'm looking to get into computers, primarily coding/programmer fields as my job in the future and wish to see Daggerfall fully 3D some day, so this could be something I'd be willing to look into in the future. What languages are Daggerfall and the Unity version written in? I'm also interested in modeling and might want to create two kinds of combat systems changeable from the settings. A Daggerfall and a Morrowind one. One where you drag the sword with a mouse to hit and one where you click the mouse button to hit. These two games seem to have a similar diceroll based combat system and I'm willing to want to make it work with these two systems. The FPS count should be raised as well to make the game more enjoyable. Those are my plans off the bat. In the future I'd also want to help people with the models overhaul, primarily for the citizens in the city and enemies and monsters to be made in 3D.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi Samuel_Beard,
Samuel_Beard wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 am What languages are Daggerfall and the Unity version written in?
Daggerfall was probably written in C++ and assembly. Doesn't matter much now, since it seems the sources have been lost.
Daggerfall Unity is written in C#
Samuel_Beard wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 am I'm also interested in modeling and might want to create two kinds of combat systems changeable from the settings. [...] One where you drag the sword with a mouse to hit and one where you click the mouse button to hit.
Already done, default mode is like Daggerfall classic, but you have a "click to attack" option to change it.
Samuel_Beard wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 am The FPS count should be raised as well to make the game more enjoyable. Those are my plans off the bat. In the future I'd also want to help people with the models overhaul, primarily for the citizens in the city and enemies and monsters to be made in 3D.
Welcome :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Samuel_Beard

Post by Samuel_Beard »

Hello, pango!
pango wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 am Daggerfall was probably written in C++ and assembly. Doesn't matter much now, since it seems the sources have been lost. Daggerfall Unity is written in C#
That's what I like to hear! Because when I ask anyone, nearly everything seems to be written on C#. Sounds like I've found one of my main languages of interest!
pango wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 am Already done, default mode is like Daggerfall classic, but you have a "click to attack" option to change it.
Damn, not a breath wasted :) I'm impressed. Sounds like I need to install Unity asap. Does this combat system setting come with Unity or is it a plugin I download from somewhere?
pango wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 am Welcome :)

Lastly, To help myself into things, what are the systems some of the characters are turned 3D in? Because that would focus my priorities and would want to replicate the feel the creators were going for. I was especially impressed by: https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic ... 5&start=50 and if there's any information you could share with me on the state of that project, I would eventually want to pick up from there. If it's still being worked on, I'd focus on First Person weapon models, maybe some animation and world monsters.

It seems like someone has been hard at work into converting the world assets into 3D https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=395 so I don't think I'll be going with world assets myself. Not yet at least, depending on the state of the project. I am primarily hopeful in spite of not having much modeling experience but some of my Blender & Tinkercad models have turned out well enough for a first timer in the past so I just need to apply myself. Knowing the tools that Daggerfall Unity Workshop community uses wouldn't hurt. I also have little experience in claymotion and Pivot from my childhood and currently looking to get into Source Filmmaker so I'll want to carry that experience into Daggerfall animations, if and when needed.

Sorry for being so mouthful, didn't expect to have this much to say. :)

EDIT: Wow, making this comment was a little trickier than I thought but nothing too hard, done this very little in the past :P

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Welcome Samuel_Beard :)

The first step is to read the tutorials for DTFU and the documentation for the mod system . Take your time to be comfortable with Daggerfall Unity code and frameworks. Making a mod it's a great way to start ;)
Samuel_Beard wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:23 am It seems like someone has been hard at work into converting the world assets into 3D https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=395 so I don't think I'll be going with world assets myself. Not yet at least, depending on the state of the project.
That was a feature showcase I made when in worked on the Asset-Injection framework. You can ignore it now, the documentation should explain everything you need to know about implemented mod support features. Also look on the Releases Mods forum to see some actual examples of a mod for DU.

Samuel_Beard

Post by Samuel_Beard »

Will do, on both accounts. Thanks!

megaten

Post by megaten »

I didn't want to create another topic to ask this, but how easy is it to replace the weapon sprites with higher res ones right now? Where can I look up the weapon sprites filenames to test stuff myself?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You should be able to use the Daggerfall Imaging tool to see them. https://www.dfworkshop.net/downloads/da ... l-imaging/
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Heres some info for a 1st person weapons modding, search for a "First Person Weapons" section
https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... /textures/

megaten

Post by megaten »

I managed to swap a basic weapon texture, but there's a problem when setting weapons to left-handed(with custom texture) - they dont mirror.
Spoiler!
I have another question - regarding magic weapons(weapons with lightning effect) do those also come in different tiers(iron, silver, etc). Also if anyone can help with either a savefile with all weapons types or a way to cheat them onto char for testing purpose?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The different weapon materials (not to be confused with Unity materials) are done using a palette swap, more detail in this write up: https://www.dfworkshop.net/items-part-2-dyes/. Same mechanism works for magic weapons same as normal ones.

Looks like modded texture replacements can be done for each material which is more flexible and fine thse days since storage is not quite such a premium is was in 90s.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods