1st Person Horse idea

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ceruulean

1st Person Horse idea

Post by Ceruulean »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there would be an interest in a 1st-person horse mod, where the horse sprite moves as your camera moves? Actually, this has been been a dream of mine for several years :P I haven't had time to look in the codebase due to school and time constraints, but I'd like to share the idea because I plan to make it a pet project eventually.

I made a quick demo to illustrate my point:
* Click and drag to move the "camera"
https://the-gale.com/static/HorseDemo/

The demo is crude (I got fed up with the css and trying to define the point of rotation :lol: ) so it would really function like:
* Camera y axis movement translates the sprite up and down (90 degrees looking up>sprite is not visible. 90 degrees down>shows the saddle & a no-body player---maybe add some gloves and reins like the weapons xD)
* Camera x axis movement, only when standing still, will rotate the sprite (so looking behind will show the horse's hindquarters)
* Upon moving, if the sprite is rotated the sprite transitions back to center (i know realistically you'd have to walk a circle but... maybe later...)

It would need heavy artistic design and programming. I'm afraid that due to the hard-coding of the horse graphics, it would require some weird hacking. I'd like to find out the logistics of implementing before starting.

King of Worms

Re: 1st Person Horse idea

Post by King of Worms »

The demo looks cool, good idea!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I've had this idea while back but never really said anything about it cause I could never figure at how to explain it properly. Riding the horses face in the ground was always funny, but this is a great example at how it could work. Hope something can be implemented.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

This is really, really great idea (demo as well). I hope to see this implemented as a MODed feature. :)