Daggerfall Remastered Music Project (Released)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Naotib

Re: RE: MIDI (a.k.a. Daggerfall Remastered Music Project)

Post by Naotib »

Didn't saw this thread till now, great work!

I also had a mail confirmation that Pieces of 8-bit is not willing to make a mod of his version, except if it's in Daggerfall Unity master release (wich I understand will not happen).

So This topic and Daggerfall: Music To Travel By seems the more advanced :)

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Yeah, options are always good.

Speaking of, I did manage to get a number of tracks done or nearly done today.

Less than 20 left to go. (not counting clones that I discard). Today I worked on fm_swim2, swimming, tavern, Square2, magic_2, and sunnyday. So, I'm getting there. If possible, I'd like to finish up this project before I leave for vacation on the 22nd. However, our band Blackjack Rose is trying to get a gig around the 21st or a little before, and we've been rehearsing the usual night, plus an extra on the weekend.

There were a couple tracks that switch between sustain and short accented notes for the clarinet. The sustained clarinet section in my sample library has a slow attack on the note beginning, so it didn't work for the shorter flourishes. But the accented articulation worked really well for it, and thankfully the clarinet section has keyswtiching, so I could use that to get the track to work well without having to fragment it into different tracks.

I'll put Sunnyday up on my soundcloud in a little bit as an example. (I should have a link to my soundcloud on the first page of this thread) Hopefully it translates well to other speakers/headphones. I had to move one of my speakers out of position so Maintenance could get back to fix the radiator behind my desk. I haven't redone a room measurement, but it should be back in the right spot, at least visually, haha!

Anyway, If I don't manage a release before Christmas, look forward to New Years. ;)
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for a update Byte, Im always looking forward to your work!!!

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

I did some house cleaning in the music folder after comparing the "cloned" tracks, and got rid of those with less data or dynamic content.

I also knocked out a number of tracks tonight.

In total I've finished, or nearly finished 74 tracks to date. I have 9 left.

Then just have to check for consistency and nitpick, make sure midi data isn't turning off the effects knob on the sampler and little things like that. But that's just for the latest 35 or whatever this batch was, after I finished the dungeon tracks.

So yeah, almost there. :D

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Down to the last 5 tracks!!!

I'm hoping to do those tomorrow, then I just have to go back through and do consistency checks, and make sure file names are correct so that DFU calls the OGGs up instead of the original midi files. A cursory look through the tracks all seem to show comparable balance and gain/volume levels. It's just little nuances and details I need to double check.

I leave on Saturday for the holidays, and I'd like to push out a release on Friday. But we'll see!!!

Also, gsneak2 was a major PITA to work with. For my method to work, I had to explode the 8 channels (that all had bank patch changes) into about 28. Thankfully, that seems to be the only midi file structured that particular way.

All I have left are Overlong, Overcast, Oversnow, Sneaking2, and Snowing. I don't think any of them will be particularly troublesome.

In any case, I will be back home by the 29th, and I WILL have a release out by New Year's if not before! So, look forward to that! :D

This will be a "1.0" release. There may be a small chance that I'll go back through the tracks I already put out, and do some sound palette swaps comparable to these later tracks, but it would be a very subtle change on certain tracks. But I might think about doing that in the future and put out a "1.5" version later in the spring.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Getting close woo! :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm not a big modder or anything so I haven't been following a lot of topics. On a whim (noticing the install instructions were simple) I just decided to download this and see what it sounded like in-game.

This music is awesome!!!

This is really great! I love what you've done to DF's music! Looking forward to the remaining five tracks! :)

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Thanks for the votes of confidence, haha! I enjoy the music in-game as well, which is half the reason I'm doing this. Not unlike KoW and his work with the flats and retexturing. ;)

IMO, I think the dungeon tracks were the most "fun" or interesting to work with. Trying to figure out the intentions of the original composers using the different synth or FX patches, and then trying to re-interpret or put a more unique spin on the ideas.

I am wondering if I should leave these "packages" in individual archives as I have been doing, or if I should lump them all into a single large archive for downloading. I suppose one large archive would be the most convenient. Just download, and extract into the sounds directory. Might also give me a reason to do one last check on the earlier packs and make any small last minute adjustments. I've already made one minor adjustment to 5strong, (the launcher music) so I might just do that, and repackage it all into one archive for convenience, and neatness.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I say make it all one package. Uninstallation is simple enough if people change their minds, and if they're jumping in with your tracks, I'd say they've decided.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I vote for one package as well. Great job on pushing it towards a release man, awesome work!