?/Windows: Notebook fast travel to the wrong location [RESOLVED]

pango

?/Windows: Notebook fast travel to the wrong location [RESOLVED]

Post by pango »

Text updated

As seen in https://www.twitch.tv/smokindank5280/video/340403455 around 1:31:30, when the player clicks on an instance of quest K0C00Y07, fast travel to "Ruins of Coppersmith Grange" is selected, but its not mentioned in the quest, so not revealed, hence fast travel fails ("there's no place by that name...").

Full text of the quest:
Buckingford of Andywyr's Quality Equipment Store, Daggerfall has sent me with a Diamond to ransom his lover, Dunard Gaerhouse from the Thieves Guild. The ransom must be paid in 39 days or they will kill Dunard Gaerhouse.
Carolara Kingham is the agent of the kidnappers who awaits me in The Woodsly Residence in Oxworth.
Of course, Perard Buckingford wants me, if possible, to rescue his lover without paying the ransom
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: ?/Windows: Notebook fast travel to the wrong location

Post by Interkarma »

I think the notebook fast travel can only offer a single location for fast travel, so it has that limitation when multiple locations are defined by quest. And some quests define an used dungeon to stash resources, so it's probably not desirable to offer fast travel in those situations. The problem is differentiating which locations the player wants to travel to in each case.

Once thought I had was to hotlink the actual location name in log text (with a slight colour change). So clicking the name itself will initiate travel to that location. This has the added benefit that locations not explicitly mentioned in log would not be offered as player has no way of knowing about them.

This one is Hazelnut's baby, so I'll leave it to him how he wants to respond and if he sees this as a bug or just a limitation of first pass at log-based fast travel.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:02 am Once thought I had was to hotlink the actual location name in log text (with a slight colour change). So clicking the name itself will initiate travel to that location. This has the added benefit that locations not explicitly mentioned in log would not be offered as player has no way of knowing about them.
That would be a good improvement. It would be ideal if fast travel lookup was based on overt text strings in the log (in this case, "Daggerfall" and "Oxworth"), rather than some hidden value from the quest ID. If an entry has multiple cities or locations in it, just let each be colored links.

I also don't think the "are you sure?" window is necessary. It just becomes a chore click after a while.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

pango wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm Text updated

As seen in https://www.twitch.tv/smokindank5280/video/340403455 around 1:31:30, when the player clicks on an instance of quest K0C00Y07, fast travel to "Ruins of Coppersmith Grange" is selected, but its not mentioned in the quest, so not revealed, hence fast travel fails ("there's no place by that name...").
Thanks for the report Pango. Have added a check so the notebook will now only find the dungeon once it's been discovered.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Re: ?/Windows: Notebook fast travel to the wrong location [RESOLVED]

Post by pango »

It seems it is now too strict, you should be able to trigger fast travel to towns you haven't visited yet for instance.
Maybe DaggerfallQuestJournalWindow.CanFindPlace and DaggerfallTravelMapWindow.checkLocationDiscovered should match?
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Re: ?/Windows: Notebook fast travel to the wrong location [RESOLVED]

Post by pango »

I made a PR with that approach

Gamesave with a quest to Burgtry Commons.
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
(561.44 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
-- Charles Goodhart