[MOD] Real Grass 2

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Midknightprince

Re: [MOD] Real Grass 2

Post by Midknightprince »

Man I like this version thelacus this stuff just keeps getting better.
How about dragonflies instead of butterflies ?
It's too happy for me LOL
Check out my YouTube Channel!

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

ifkopifko wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:38 pmEDIT: :D Tried something just out of curiosity. This particular fall-through issue seems to be related to season. When there is snow, I will fall though anywhere even after fast travel. Also, the terrain loading seems a bit faster than under normal situation. With normal, I mean when there is grass on the ground and I have no fall-through issues.
Aaaargh! Mistake on my part, I have been messing with the settings of this mod so much I left it in a nondefault state without realizing it.

This "season dependent fall-through" is happening only when water plants are disabled. When enebled, I experience no fall-through the ground.

johnwax

Re: [MOD] Real Grass 2 - a big problem

Post by johnwax »

I've posted this twice before. I am running both native DFU chars and imported classic chars. The mod works fine with vanilla DFU. bit if I try to load a classic import it crashes if I am outside a building. I can load a classic import in a building, but if I try to go outside, it crashes. This has to be some sort of incompatibility with classic imports. Any way to fix it?

TheLacus

Re: [MOD] Real Grass 2 - a big problem

Post by TheLacus »

johnwax wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:55 pm I've posted this twice before. I am running both native DFU chars and imported classic chars. The mod works fine with vanilla DFU. bit if I try to load a classic import it crashes if I am outside a building. I can load a classic import in a building, but if I try to go outside, it crashes. This has to be some sort of incompatibility with classic imports. Any way to fix it?
I'm aware, i answered you the first time. Grass is not dependent on save, but it's possible that there is an issue with the location where the save is made. If you disable the mod, exit the building and make a save in Daggerfall Unity, does it crash again if you re-enable the mod? If you can send me a log or the save it would make it much easier to find the issue :)

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

Sorry, I missed your first response. Tried again with mixed results. This time I got an outside to load for an Import classic and it crashed with a vanilla DFU char! I'm attaching a save for a classic import (Xeria). The save is in the Mages Guild. If you try to exit to the outside, it crashes.
Attachments
SAVE51.rar
(286.81 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

johnwax> Sorry, for some reason I am not able to open the rar archive. Just a question to investigate whether this might be related to what I wrote about above:

- In the save which is crashing, is it winter (snowy) season?
- In the RealGrass mod settings, are water plants "disabled", "summer only" or "always enabled"?

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

In settings, the water plants are "always enabled", which I assume is the default.

Tried again with that import char. Loaded in the Mage Guild, but crashed when I tried to exit the door. Found an outside save for that char. It wasn;t winter - looked like summer or spring. Tried to load and it crashed.

This is frustrating. Your mod is outstanding and is a much a game changer as the enhanced sky mod. FYi, the mods I am running are Distant Terrain, Mountains, Enhanced Sky and (trying to anyway) Real Grass.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

A thought. Could you give me what you consider the absolute minimum settings for the mod to operate? Maybe it's a resource thing (although it shouldn't be - I have 8 gb ram and a quad Cpu with Win7 X32).

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Tried the save you provided (SAVE51.rar) and everything works fine. Even on my old PC (Core 2 Duo, 6GB RAM, Radeon HD4830 512MB, Win7 64bit). That was with all the mods you mentioned on build #139 64bit. So the crashes should not be because of HW insufficiency.

I have also decided to try x86 build of DFU, but only on my main PC for now (16GB RAM). It indeed crashes after going outside in SAVE51, but only when I set grass distance to 160 (default is 120). Might try it on my other PC later if I have time.

However, this mod's memory requirements are troubling me a bit. :D With all the other mods active the DFU process takes about 1160MB. When I enable Real Grass, it jumps to over 3700MB. Switching off "realistic grass" drops it to about 3000MB. The crashes mentioned above happened when the DFU process (x86) went to around 3850MB, so I wonder whether there is not some limit for 32bit processes... Anybody?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

johnwax wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:12 am A thought. Could you give me what you consider the absolute minimum settings for the mod to operate? Maybe it's a resource thing (although it shouldn't be - I have 8 gb ram and a quad Cpu with Win7 X32).
Detail distance and grass density are the options with the biggest effect on performance. I think default values are already enough conservative, but these are the first options i would tweak.
I tried your save but i didn't find any issue. At the cost of being ripetitive, i suggest you to find and read the log (feel free to send it to me via pm if you want). If you have a crash because ram is filled, the log should confirm that. ;)
ifkopifko wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:42 am However, this mod's memory requirements are troubling me a bit. :D With all the other mods active the DFU process takes about 1160MB. When I enable Real Grass, it jumps to over 3700MB. Switching off "realistic grass" drops it to about 3000MB. The crashes mentioned above happened when the DFU process (x86) went to around 3850MB, so I wonder whether there is not some limit for 32bit processes... Anybody?
Thanky you for your tests ifkopifko. Such an high ram usage suprise me, but you are correct on the x86 limitations.
ifkopifko wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 pm
ifkopifko wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:38 pmEDIT: :D Tried something just out of curiosity. This particular fall-through issue seems to be related to season. When there is snow, I will fall though anywhere even after fast travel. Also, the terrain loading seems a bit faster than under normal situation. With normal, I mean when there is grass on the ground and I have no fall-through issues.
This "season dependent fall-through" is happening only when water plants are disabled. When enebled, I experience no fall-through the ground.
Confirmed! I'm going to check what's the problem here and hopefully release an update in the next few days.